Breaking Quarantine

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
First beer out in ten weeks!
20200527_181227.jpg

The brewery was taking extra precautions. We were at least 12 feet away from any other customer, no walk-up service, controlled capacity, everything sanitized... We felt comfortable but likely won't go out again soon. It was good to see Mark and Gudrun.

Out pubs are still closed :(

We're still closed too. Very interesting times for our industry, no idea what pubs will look like when they do finally get to open their doors again. An existential threat to many for sure.

I'm happy to see things opening back up here in Colorado and as I've done the whole time during this 'pandemic', we have tried to support local business as best we could. That said, I've been several places recently and actually not even entered or left altogether. It's pretty easy to tell if safe practices and guidelines are being followed. Right now, I think going out and doing things is and should be based on choice and how comfortable you feel.
@Nosybear I'm glad you got out and were able to stretch your legs a little. Sometimes these little things bring a bit a sanity back to our lives. And that Colorado Strong looks like a good one! I've had it from one brewery here so far and purchasing a couple more crowlers from another brewery that drop tomorrow. I want to sample as many as I can locally to see how they all compare. We are drinking one or two crowlers right away and saving one from each place we go, and at some point we'll line em up and have fun with them!!

I'm happy to see things opening back up here in Colorado and as I've done the whole time during this 'pandemic', we have tried to support local business as best we could. That said, I've been several places recently and actually not even entered or left altogether. It's pretty easy to tell if safe practices and guidelines are being followed. Right now, I think going out and doing things is and should be based on choice and how comfortable you feel.
@Nosybear I'm glad you got out and were able to stretch your legs a little. Sometimes these little things bring a bit a sanity back to our lives. And that Colorado Strong looks like a good one! I've had it from one brewery here so far and purchasing a couple more crowlers from another brewery that drop tomorrow. I want to sample as many as I can locally to see how they all compare. We are drinking one or two crowlers right away and saving one from each place we go, and at some point we'll line em up and have fun with them!!
The owner was asking if I'd had it anywhere else but, aside from a few growlers, this is the first beer out I've had since lockdown began.

Patrons are piling back into every available space here and people are just stubbornly refusing to wear the damn masks. I haven't seen any place I'd feel comfortable.

Don't know about over there but heading down the main street of one town here on the sunny coast I counted over 4 vacant shop windows in the space of 50 meters.
Went to go to one of my fav coffee shops the other day and :eek: she's vacant.
The shops are dropping like flies.
I think those that were struggling to pay bills this has been the nail in the coffin to bail out of business.
I think the Covid 19 economic hangover is comming it ain't gunna be pretty.

Don't know about over there but heading down the main street of one town here on the sunny coast I counted over 4 vacant shop windows in the space of 50 meters.
Went to go to one of my fav coffee shops the other day and :eek: she's vacant.
The shops are dropping like flies.
I think those that were struggling to pay bills this has been the nail in the coffin to bail out of business.
I think the Covid 19 economic hangover is comming it ain't gunna be pretty.
Even 12,000 miles away, I think you may be right. This weeded out a lot of weak businesses and the second wave, if it hits, may weed out more. There's a shopping mall near us, wife and I go for walks there. There were several empty storefronts there before the virus, many more won't be there after...

@Trialben @Nosybear

Very similar to 2008/2009, it's survival of the fittest and any business that was marginal to start with (or over-extended) is going to struggle to get to the far side of this. Wouldn't want to be a commercial landlord just now.

It's hard to see what pubs and bars might look like post-virus. Many will rush back to the pub for sure but I think there will also be a significant number of people who have no interest in being in tight spaces with other people. I'm seeing lots of home bars going in over here, I've installed three myself since lockdown.

Home drinking is definitely, in my opinion, going to be a much bigger part of the picture for sure.

@Trialben @Nosybear

Very similar to 2008/2009, it's survival of the fittest and any business that was marginal to start with (or over-extended) is going to struggle to get to the far side of this. Wouldn't want to be a commercial landlord just now.

It's hard to see what pubs and bars might look like post-virus. Many will rush back to the pub for sure but I think there will also be a significant number of people who have no interest in being in tight spaces with other people. I'm seeing lots of home bars going in over here, I've installed three myself since lockdown.

Home drinking is definitely, in my opinion, going to be a much bigger part of the picture for sure.
Looks like we got a head start on them then ha!

Had an excellent experience last night at one of our local breweries. You make a reservation online and once you do so you have a digital menu to choose from. You can also load an app and keep track of and pay for your tab. Totally touch free. You can remove your mask once seated, but they ask while moving (going to restroom or going outside to order food etc.) to put your mask back on. Very well done and my wife and I felt extremely comfortable. I was 100% in the moment and might of had a bit more to drink than I typically would on a work night...

@Trialben @Nosybear

As mentioned, Bent Barley was definitely taking the restrictions seriously. Mark, the owner, was at the door, keeping the crowds down. The space had been modified so there were very few tables and really good distancing. The tables were sanitized between use, there were two spaces open at the bar. No walk-up service, the staff served everything. We did chat with Mark's wife for a while but otherwise, it was distancing, good cleanliness and hygiene. The people there seemed to respect distancing and the measures taken. One young lady walked up to fill a crowler. She waited outside while it was being done. All in all an interesting experience.

The pubs are all opening out door patios in my area. I'm still not keen to visit for a pint yet, at least not until all of the frenzy of re-opening calms away. But, we are pretty lucky; many many of our local microbreweries have all been offering curb side pick up or even home delivery for the last few weeks. And one unanticipated bonus is a lot of the local brews have started to pop up in the liquor stores a little more often. I've found some great stuff I've been wanting to try but the tap rooms are just too far away.

Back