Bread Thread!

Weve got a small corner store here in Palmwoods where I live not on the main drag through town tucked away you can get toilet paper and flour by the kg there.

Try your smaller corner stores if desperate

Went the pretzel route today.
IMG_20200402_115541.jpg

They look outstanding!!

Question:
The correct dipping sauce for a soft pretzel is:
A. Melted Cheddar
B. Honey Mustard
C. Yellow Mustard
D. Pizza Sauce
E. Other

No wrong answer
Bavarian mustard!

I revived a long dormant sourdough starter that had been in the refrigerator for a very long time. It had about an inch of dark (almost black) hooch sitting on top, and generally looked kinda sad. Pouring off the hooch, then scraping away the krausen-like ring from the jar, then removing about the top inch of old starter allowed me to scrape clean the upper inside portion of the jar using a silicon spatula and clean fingers. The old starter still smelled good. Once the inside of the jar above the starter was clean to my liking, I dug in and mixed up the old starter, then added a couple spoons full of a donated active starter given to my wife by a coworker. I have fed the donated starter several times, discarding from that little jar into my larger, old starter jar. They are both bubbling away, but my old starter smells perfect. Here it is
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
And here is a pizza dough that I worked up this afternoon (not sourdough), using Italian 00 flour and artisan bead flour in equal proportions. It is leavened with an old packet of Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast (old as in purchased in 2016). I carefully bloomed the yeast to ensure it’s viability before adding it to my salted flour. At this point it has risen for about an hour, but still has about 3 hours to go. Maybe it’s time for a beer.

You might be getting the ribbon for perfectly round pizza! Looks great.

You might be getting the ribbon for perfectly round pizza! Looks great.
Thanks thunder. It was so easy to form, almost effortless. I do use a pizza pan, once the dough is shaped on a board, and finish shaping to the edges of the pan.
image.jpg

I've been wanting to get a sourdough starter going because I know I have some interesting organisms in area. Finally put things together and did up a starter over a couple of days and tried my hand at baking some bread with no commercial yeast added. Everything worked perfectly and the flavor is pretty superb! :)
20200401_122258.jpg

Back