Bread Thread!

I've been wanting to get a sourdough starter going because I know I have some interesting organisms in area. Finally put things together and did up a starter over a couple of days and tried my hand at baking some bread with no commercial yeast added. Everything worked perfectly and the flavor is pretty superb! :)
View attachment 9308
Looks great!
We did up a rye loaf today and the rest of the dough I portioned out for foccia sometime this weekend.
I also made up some flour tortillas and made up a little taco fiesta for lunch.

Well since my last posts, there have been some awesome looking pictures.
I will not be baking for a while as we just signed papers for our new house!
I'll be happy when I can be fat and lazy one day but right now, I have a shit ton to do!
Cheers everyone, stay safe and healthy!
Brian

Well I jumped into the sourdough cycle last Sunday and it looks like we are ready to give the first loaf a shot. I made some biscuits from the starter disgards which were a little different then my normal biscuits as these were made with butter and water versus butter and milk.

I have two jars going, one started with rye flour and the other with spent mash that I dried and tuned it into flour thank you Vitamix They both have taken off nicely and have that earthy fruity bouquet but I'm not getting that tangy sourness that I expected....stay tuned bakers!

Good looking loaf! My starter is a couple of days before ready to use.

Reactions: J A
I've been wanting to get a sourdough starter going because I know I have some interesting organisms in area. Finally put things together and did up a starter over a couple of days and tried my hand at baking some bread with no commercial yeast added. Everything worked perfectly and the flavor is pretty superb! :)
View attachment 9308
Heck Yeah JA looking crusty good.

Im finally getting some more flour tomorrow gee its hard to come by these days!

The sour tang will come with time. Patience is a requirement.

Thanks Herm..good advice and while Craigerr may sound like TW's wife, you my friend are recalling my Grandfather! Naaa...all good...I need to recall his wisdom more often!

Today's...well this morning's effort was Sourdough Popovers using the SBG batch...Wifey was all about them...even cold...they were good but again...wanting that tangy flavor.

20200404_101931.jpeg

Here's a sourdough question I have not seen an answer on in the sites I have been going to...how long can you hang on to refrigerated disgards?? My Cheap Bastard Ethos is making it hard to really "disgard" the disgards!

That looks good, Ward.

I think of discard as perfectly good starter. As an example, my starter sat neglected in the back of our refrigerator since late 2016. That neglected starter was revived this week, using just a small amount of a fresh, donated starter. While the fresh, donated starter really has no tang, my old starter certainly does have tang. The pretzels I made yesterday used discard from my old starter. Given how valuable flour is in this time, it seems wasteful to throw away the discard. The discard could be dehydrated, or frozen for later use.

That looks good, Ward.

The pretzels I made yesterday used discard from my old starter. Given how valuable flour is in this time, it seems wasteful to throw away the discard. The discard could be dehydrated, or frozen for later use.

OK , thanks and you read my mind on the value of flour right now.....and your Pretzels were way more attractive then mine! ;);)

Thanks Herm..good advice and while Craigerr may sound like TW's wife, you my friend are recalling my Grandfather! Naaa...all good...I need to recall his wisdom more often!

Today's...well this morning's effort was Sourdough Popovers using the SBG batch...Wifey was all about them...even cold...they were good but again...wanting that tangy flavor.

View attachment 9325

Here's a sourdough question I have not seen an answer on in the sites I have been going to...how long can you hang on to refrigerated disgards?? My Cheap Bastard Ethos is making it hard to really "disgard" the disgards!

I used some discards that we're about a month old earlier in the week and they were just fine. From what I've read, just pour off the "hooch".

View attachment 9325

Looks delicious not quite sure what they are but man looks like Happy tummy food.

Soooo if you want more tang in your finished sourdough product use less starter in your bread or whatever your making.

Using less starter means the yeast have to multiply more to proof the dough therefore creating more of that sourness from the bacteria (lacto ect).

Also not sure this helps but when you do your final shaping ready to bake i then pop it in the fridge overnight to "retard" the dough this supposedly give some tang too.

What i find this does is makes it easier to score the dough and bake it.
So once the oven is pipping hot ready for the bread or whatever thats when i take it out the fridge score it with knife and in the baking receptacle it goes. You get a good oven spring.

Looks delicious not quite sure what they are but man looks like Happy tummy food.

Popovers are sort of like a cross between a waffle and brioche bread.....eggie and light.....here's the recipe.....

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-popovers-recipe

these guys have been getting a lot of hits I bet and not just from us....

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ead-making-frenzy-sweeps-the-uk-idUSKBN21L1XW

https://www.eater.com/2020/3/25/21194467/bread-tops-google-trends-searching-for-recipes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-and-now-were-running-out-of-flour-and-yeast/

everybody's doing it doing it.....

That was a solid 8 ounces of Trader Joe’s Quattro Formaggio blend, plus a bit of fresh grated Parmesan added at serving. Nice thing, no grease.
It was so perfectly round and delicious looking, that was all I could come up with, cheers Herm!

Back