Bread Thread!

I have a sourdough loaf proofing in the fridge overnight for baking tomorrow. It has been a few years since my last sourdough bread bake, and this seems, at this point, better than previous efforts.

Hoping to get my starter active enough to do a loaf for Easter supper. Took it out of the fridge yesterday and fed it. Just fed again and will be doing the same at 12 hour intervals.

I have a sourdough loaf proofing in the fridge overnight for baking tomorrow. It has been a few years since my last sourdough bread bake, and this seems, at this point, better than previous efforts.
Your bakes you've posted here tell me you have little to worry about!
Good idea Bob on the Easter bread. I need to look around and see if I can find a decent roll recipe that I feel comfortable with.

Got a poolish I've been incubating since yesterday morning, will make a loaf out of SF-style sourdough from it this afternoon.

Having been showing Wife and Daughter some of the things you folks have been churning out. Selfishly, to motivate them to bake me something delicious. Low and behold, I be getting some fresh baked goodness lately! Why just today, this, seems they do love me!
20200410_184310.jpg

20200410_185849.jpg

Having been showing Wife and Daughter some of the things you folks have been churning out. Selfishly, to motivate them to bake me something delicious. Low and behold, I be getting some fresh baked goodness lately! Why just today, this, seems they do love me!
View attachment 9485
View attachment 9486
WoW man! I'll take whatever those are in the towel. I'm going to guess a Red Lobster cheddar clone? Looks fantastic whatever they are...

Sadly, my sourdough loaf was a loser. It is bread, but it ain’t pretty. It formed a good crisp crust, but that crust burst all around the bottom, just above the base. The crumb is far too dense. On the upside, it tastes good, with nice tang. I will take this forward as a learning experience, and keep trying. And I will be making sourdough pancakes this morning.

For the first one in years that sounds like a success to me. My wife is going nerd out on sourdough, she even went to a course on it before the lockdown hit.

20200412_082238.jpg

This mornings loaf ate half of it now with lashings of butter and honey was worth the wait for breakfast.

@Herm_brews
You gotta score the dough to give it a direction to expand out. I cut a square in the top of this one.

This one is just finished see i slashed it across the top
20200412_082905.jpg

Hoping my first serious, and labor intensive loaf turns out as well as what I'm seeing in this thread. Will post pics, one way or the other.

About 2 pounds or a kilogram, depending on how you measure it. I make the dough in a bread machine so I get great gluten development.

I'm moved in and planning on baking later today and or tomorrow. Wish me luck figuring out this new oven!
I'm making up a poolish this morning for an evening bake and also some pizza dough for tomorrow dinner.
Also, after looking on the King Arthur site "thanks Thunderwagn" I have a few more things I want to work on.
I think some big soft Pretzels sound good!
Happy Easter everyone!
Brian

Working through Ken Forkish book. Happy with my first two loaves.
View attachment 9533 View attachment 9532
I really like that book. It's helped me make some great bread. I also have the Tartine book, and it's alright. Way over rated though and lots of food recipes that I could care less about.
I'm trying my hand at making dinner rolls for our Easter meal planned for tomorrow.

Back