Bread Thread!

Nothing wrong with dense bread. The one I did in the bread machine a couple of days ago was pretty dense, but not bad eating. I got some unbleached AP flour this morning, so have something to work with now.

Breads up more wholemeal flour in this one
Run out of white flour here for s bit got some now had to hunt some down.
20200325_203341.jpg

Well..... Today I made dough!
No scale and no measuring cups or spoons.
We're getting ready to move, so everything is packed, but I got a Pizza ad in the mail and it was just too tempting.
I started by guessing how much water, added about a tsp. of yeast, used up a little bread flour, added some whole wheat flour. I mixed that by hand adding some table salt and mixing in some all purpose flour to what seemed like the right consistency. I'm going to make this into 1 round in the dutch oven and 2 or 3 pizza's.
I'll get some pictures later tonight.
Back to packing!
Brian

I could have let the bread proof a little longer, but all and all, I'm happy with how everything came out.
I did the pizza's on different pans as even they were packed. 1 on an aluminum cookie sheet and 2 on cast iron.
Cheers,
Brian

Wow they all look great! making the use of a hot oven pumping out some baked goods.
Gee those pizzas look yum:)!

Made another batch of beer bread today. I'm not a huge bread eater but the family loves it and from what I tried it is very tasty. Here's the recipe I've been using if anyone else is interested. No yeast!
Screenshot_20200325-162755.png

Sift the dry ingredients and mix in the beer. 375f over for 50-60 minutes. I don't add the 1/4 c of butter to the top. It's not needed imo.

Here's the link to recipe.
https://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440

Made another batch of beer bread today. I'm not a huge bread eater but the family loves it and from what I tried it is very tasty. Here's the recipe I've been using if anyone else is interested. No yeast!
View attachment 9171
Sift the dry ingredients and mix in the beer. 375f over for 50-60 minutes. I don't add the 1/4 c of butter to the top. It's not needed imo.

Here's the link to recipe.
https://www.food.com/recipe/beer-bread-73440
Sounds good, I'll revisit when I get settled in at the new place.

My kinda Heavy Metal! I like it! What was the method and temps in the Cast Iron?
I just put a bit of EVOO in the cast iron, stretched the dough out to almost the size and then pressed it into the cast iron. Topped it and put it into a 550° oven for 12 minutes.
The thinner cast pan cooked a bit quicker, maybe 11 minutes.
The aluminum cookie sheet cooked in 10 minutes.

I just put a bit of EVOO in the cast iron, stretched the dough out to almost the size and then pressed it into the cast iron. Topped it and put it into a 550° oven for 12 minutes.
The thinner cast pan cooked a bit quicker, maybe 11 minutes.
The aluminum cookie sheet cooked in 10 minutes.

OK..so not on the stove top....I was thinking that you heated up the cast iron then let it cook on retained or a low flame....sounds like something to play around with...ya know....for Science!

Cabin fever setting in: Doing a loaf with wine yeast just to see what comes out. Whole wheat with seven-grain cereal, straight yeast, no sourdough.

I just spent a couple hours chopping ice in the alley to get it to stop flooding my garage.

Attachments

• 2020-03-27 15.40.18.jpg
    2020-03-27 15.40.18.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 124

Back