Bread Thread!

I'm wondering what people are going to eventually do with all this stuff they're hoarding.
Yup toilet paper red meat chest freezers:eek: there will be an oversupply soon enough.
I've herd of bus loads of people heading inland to little town in Queensland buying up everything on supermarket shelves and selling it online.
Sanitizer is another one.
Mate have a look in my pantry I ain't panic buying here I've run out of rice run out of oats (dam it wanna brew with them) run out of.breakfast cereal do I care nope:) there'll be good at the store.

Got almost enough discard built back up for a batch of pizza dough. Local Walmart has senior hour from 6 to 7 AM starting this Tuesday. They've reduced their hours for disinfecting and stocking shelves. May be able to find some decent flour and make a loaf or two.

We keep our pantry and freezers well stocked, so won't be starving any time soon. Probably enough food to last a couple of months without getting too picky. Fresh fruit, veggies and dairy are about all we really need to fill in.

We keep our pantry and freezers well stocked, so won't be starving any time soon. Probably enough food to last a couple of months without getting too picky. Fresh fruit, veggies and dairy are about all we really need to fill in.
So I've seen on the smooking grilling and bbqing thread;)

Got almost enough discard built back up for a batch of pizza dough. Local Walmart has senior hour from 6 to 7 AM starting this Tuesday. They've reduced their hours for disinfecting and stocking shelves. May be able to find some decent flour and make a loaf or two.
Don't know if you have it there, Bob, but our Walmart carries a flour out of Montana in a blue bag - it's unbleached and makes a pretty good loaf if you can find it.

Don't know if you have it there, Bob, but our Walmart carries a flour out of Montana in a blue bag - it's unbleached and makes a pretty good loaf if you can find it.

Thanks. Wheat Montana Natural White AP. Out of stock, like almost every other flour except the very expensive specialty ones. Hoping to get the jump on the hoarders Tuesday morning during senior hour. I can still outrun the Walmart electric carts, so may get to the baking goods aisle before it's all gone :)

Made some yeast bread today. I really have nothing but time right now, but was feeling like the usual long, drawn out bread process today. Still took close to 9 hours start to finish for a couple of loaves. I added dill weed and dill seed to the batch.
15847473865293167423542813317223.jpg
IMG_20200320_153039.jpg

Nice looking loaf. I use a lot of dill weed in various salads and such, but never thought of it in bread. Need to try that one.

Made some yeast bread today. I really have nothing but time right now, but was feeling like the usual long, drawn out bread process today. Still took close to 9 hours start to finish for a couple of loaves. I added dill weed and dill seed to the batch.
View attachment 9101 View attachment 9102
Looking scrumpcious

My process is 24hours ish :rolleyes: I'll do the folding and shaping one day then in the fridge overnight bake in the morn

Attachments

• 20200321_174638.jpg
    20200321_174638.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200321_174626.jpg
    20200321_174626.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
You know it was the darnedest thing today...been trying to "wake up" a sourdough starter for about a week with no success...walked down to the basement brewery today to do a little cleaning and there was a gravity sample I forgot to dump out a few days ago...with a nice little yeast action going on in the jelly jar....I'm guessing it's some renegade lager yeast that blew out of the airlock on the fermentor. We will see what kind of bread it makes if I can get a good starter built.

Scraping the barrel on yeast, forgot to order so I pitched ALL the lager yeast I had saved in the last batch...between the jar of 34/70 and the one of Diamond Lager, that fermentor is BANGING...Have to harvest again for the next batch(and not wait 3-3 1/2 months to use it this time).

I once left a gravity sample on the bench in the garage overnight, had some trub and a nice krauzen in the morning!

Got my starter built back up. Will be too busy working outside to do a proper loaf, so relying on the bread maker. Out of bread and have plenty of home made pastrami and an assortment of cheeses. Hot pastrami sammiches for lunch today!

Anyone make beer bread? My wife keeps talking about growing up and beer bread. I've never had it myself, but searched and it does seem to be popular.

Heard of it, but never had it to my knowledge.

I made a loaf! Not bad and incredibly easy. Takes all of 5 minutes to prepare, and about an hour to bake. Heavy and dense.
IMG_20200324_140024.jpg

Butter and a little honey are in order here.

Back