What are you drinking right now?

I get that. And you're absolutely right. It's how this hobby makes you the happiest. The cool part is, I'm also absolutely right. I don't think I'll ever submit a beer of mine to a judge. I don't care to do that. I like my homebrew, and it makes me happy. My friends like my homebrew as well. In fact, I'm brewing a friend's request today. I like serving beer that people I know like to drink. I don't know any judges. It's not important to me to please them or get feedback from them. Again, I am not saying that it shouldn't be important to anyone. My hobby makes me happy. Your hobby makes you happy. I would even venture to say that some your beer would make me happy, and some of my beer would make you happy. Everyone's a winner!!

are you offering me beer ? I'm happy already !
i have met these judges and tasted their product and i'm man enough to admit it's better than mine , after the last time i got casual feedback from them i've made a few changes to my processes that improved my beers
i will still continue to brew to my own tastes and judging by the smiles i get when friends / co workers see me walk in with beer for them i must be doing quite a few things right

Bloody oath Mark I'm looking to enter some of my brews into competition this year I've just gotta scratch around and find some in my area

There is a big comp at the Ekka every year , have a look around on Google for local brewing clubs for more casual /good natured events

Beware some clubs are full of aleholes , first one I joined was so I left and joined another that's much friendlier

Cheers mark will look around I'm sure Caloundra or sunny coast has got to have a homebrew club

First club had too many self appointed experts , I gave one a commercial Grolsch swingtop and told him it was a kit based beer .....according to him it was phenolic , with traces of DMS and diacetylo_O

I suppose there is criticism and constructive criticism I'm not even sure what DMS tastes like but I know when a brew is right. Friends and family are a good measure. My pissed bro reckoned 10/10 ha ha:D.

DMS tastes like cooked cabbage , sure as hell none in the imported bottles
stale i could understand , skunky from being in UV light but no way there's DMS

You read the DMS exbeerment where Malcolm laced one brew with DMS and one without I think there was even a beer judge present at that tasting and not many could detect DMS

Different people have different thresholds for these substances , i can taste it at moderate levels as i found out
others lower thresholds and some not at all

i don't place a great deal of weight on brulosophy experiments , few guys in a shed and regularly have mixed and subjective results
i do read and enjoy them but then i sometimes watch WWF wrestling so i take them at face value

First club had too many self appointed experts , I gave one a commercial Grolsch swingtop and told him it was a kit based beer .....according to him it was phenolic , with traces of DMS and diacetylo_O
That's the same thing I found in my local club. I'm sure there are plenty of those club members who are more knowledgeable than I am, but every time I talked to someone different at their meeting, each started by saying, "That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Here's what you need to know."

i don't place a great deal of weight on brulosophy experiments , few guys in a shed and regularly have mixed and subjective results
i do read and enjoy them but then i sometimes watch WWF wrestling so i take them at face value
I like what they're doing in a generic sense. As science, not very much. There's generally no attempt at reproducing a result. I'll take what they do with a grain of salt, might try it in my own brew but as brewing science, I'll accept what the Germans have been doing for 300 years (with benefit of much research) as gospel.

Different people have different thresholds for these substances , i can taste it at moderate levels as i found out
others lower thresholds and some not at all
Someone handed me a commercial Miller a while back. I couldn't get past the DMS. Tasted like reheated creamed corn, if you can imagine that.

also very corn based and you can taste it which is why I avoid it

Not sure why your country is still so in love with corn , only 1 major brewery here uses any cane sugar as a major adjunct and the beer is garbage
The best extra stout my local brewery produces does use a small amount to boost OG but everything else is pure barley / wheat

Always safer using all extracted malt than inferior tasting simple sugars I prefer the more complex maltose any day :)

Back