What are you drinking right now?

Not sure why your country is still so in love with corn , only 1 major brewery here uses any cane sugar as a major adjunct and the beer is garbage
The best extra stout my local brewery produces does use a small amount to boost OG but everything else is pure barley / wheat

The "love" of corn is because our mass market likes thin beers. Corn gives some flavor but mostly neutral alcohol. I use some maize in my Kentucky Common and produce a very good, drinkable beer from it, think a summer quencher on a very hot day. Historically, it was used because it was a cheap source of starch - stuff grows like a weed here - and because the native six-row barley needed "thinning" to avoid haze due to its high protein level. Rice was also used for the same reasons. But like most things American, it was taken to extremes, leading to the thin, barely drinkable lagers that dominate our market. Sugars - a lot of Belgian favorites use sugar, either pure sucrose or slightly contaminated as in candi syrup/sugar, in their beers and it comes out wonderful! Either are good options for specific purposes, one of which is to use corn to make cheap, barely flavored beers.

Newcastle recipe I found somewhere. It's a keeper!

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 139
Nice clingy head that's been in the keg awhile eh? Lovely looking brew.

Here's my oposite to that brew in colour and flavour my Lemongrass wheat beer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 100
cracking into my 2nd bottle of a Satsuma Wit I made. I recently learned that a lot of people outside of Louisiana don't know what Satsumas are.

Anyway, I dried my own peels for this one, boiled those along with a healthy 30 IBU dose of Amarillo and Mandarina Bavaria. and used Wyeast Belgian Wheat.

Came out pretty transparent for a beer with 50% wheat. My buddies liked it, I'm not totally satisfied with it. I think the problem is I don't particualry enjoy both fruity hops and a fruity yeast. Should've used a noble hop to bitter with, and then aroma with Mandarina probably. It does have a nice dry tart finish, though.

I'm drinking the last of my beloved amber roast, this beer is a life savor in this harsh winter we have here, almost gone but the best flavor is always the last

Drinking yet another green disgusting smoothie the most horrible concoction of vegetable matter I've ever tasted a far cry from the delicious beer that usually occupies the confines of this cup.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 153
Looks to me like you could throw some hops in there to liven it up!:D

Looks to me like you could throw some hops in there to liven it up!:D
Well that's not a bad idea head first as hops are healthy they ain't sugar coffee dairy or alcohol so definitely on the tick list lol:p

Sipping a Janet's Brown after a long brew day with snow shoveling as part of the day.

Not sure why your country is still so in love with corn , only 1 major brewery here uses any cane sugar as a major adjunct and the beer is garbage
The best extra stout my local brewery produces does use a small amount to boost OG but everything else is pure barley / wheat

British breweries have used cane sugar quite a bit, I've used it in stouts myself with good results. I think people are still stuck in that Reinsheitsgebot (gesundheit!) crap so they think a little sugar will make your beer nasty.

As far as corn goes: a lot of us got into homebrewing back in the day so that we could avoid drinking thin fizzy corn beer! ;)

I'm drinking a Newcastle/Caledonian British Pale Ale, btw.

Nice, Drinking My Yoppers Pale ale, I'm buzzed after 1 beer and Ive been drinking since 3pm

Drinking my Gingerbread Porter by the fire. Lovely

too many red beans and beer. both of those are hitting me at the same time, but in different palces/ .

Paid day off and starting packing up the house to move .... why not have a beer for lunch ?
German Pils is tasty but doesn't hold a head well ,finish is slightly sweeter than expected but still very clean and a decent beer all around but still a fail since it wasn't what i wanted
have given a few bottles to an old guy i know who brews nothing but kit and kg of cane sugar lagers and he loves them ....might convince him yet that cane sugar is for coffee , not beer

Wonder why she's sweet there Mark you mash low? Yeast attenuate well? Sometimes some extra bitterness will cover some sweetness. Even a bit of you abhorred cane sugar lol :p

Back