Sweet Stout possibly with marshmellow!

Bigbre04

Premium Plus Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1412778/sweet-stout

Im looking for some feedback on this stout recipe. I have a tendancy to add a bunch of different grains instead of keeping things simple. Obviously this is a stout so its going to have a bunch of types of grain.

My real debate here is whether to keep the brown malt in. My thought process was that it adds flavor depth to be beer. I just am not sure that it will be noticable under all the black and choc malts.

Thanks for looking!
A

Well, that's a complex grain bill. But...if you believe you can make an argument for the addition of all of those grains, go for it.

But one question, what makes this sweet? At the very least, I was expecting to see a lactose addition.

Well, that's a complex grain bill. But...if you believe you can make an argument for the addition of all of those grains, go for it.

But one question, what makes this sweet? At the very least, I was expecting to see a lactose addition.

You are right, It wont be any sweeter than a normal stout, I could probably call it a chocolate stout more accurately.

Ya I tend to make more complex grain bills. Im not sure if it is really needed. Im not super experienced with recipe building.

Your post made me look at my own stout recipe, which I just claim as smooth, and it contains 6 grains. Here it is, if you care to look https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1328767/smooth-stout-v2

that is very similar to mine. i just deleted the Brown malt, upped the oats and increased the blackprinz.

i doubt that you will be able to taste the brown malt. More Oats is always better. I wanted the SRM a little higher.

Sweetness i guess i need to address. I guess its more of a normal or Chocolate stout then a sweet stout. Im also debating adding marshmellow flavoring and or some graham cracker(not really sure how to make this one happen)

I just looked at a handful of my recipes and i generally have 4-7 types of grain in them(including 2r)

that is very similar to mine. i just deleted the Brown malt, upped the oats and increased the blackprinz.

i doubt that you will be able to taste the brown malt. More Oats is always better. I wanted the SRM a little higher.

Sweetness i guess i need to address. I guess its more of a normal or Chocolate stout then a sweet stout. Im also debating adding marshmellow flavoring and or some graham cracker(not really sure how to make this one happen)
I can't say anything about the marshmallow, but the graham crackers Are just added like a dry hop

Last edited:
Mashing short and really high in the saccrification range will result in a higher Finishing Gravity

Also using a yeast that's gunna attenuate less like some of them English fancy ESB yeast will help too.

The more complex sugars in the 120L will stay behind providing some Caramel malt and body.
Some flakes barley come to think of it would go nicely too. (Edit OK Flaked Oats yeah man!)

Hey what's the Nova Lager doing there?

You sure you dont want to use an ale strain?

I remember my Bonkers Stout it was a kitchen sink kinda beer with all sorts of malts and even a jar of spreadable Caramel spread in it just to make sure then ontop of all this I added a whole packet of toasted desiccated coconut into the fermenter
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1021086/bonkers-tout

Here's another great stout I've brewed with the flaked barley not my own recipe website at bottom of recipe but it's solid could omit the coffee and throw your marshmallows in there...
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/509259/choccoffee-stout

I feel this is what your going for @Bigbre04 one of them I've got an itch and I just have to scratch it type scenarios we've all been there.:p

Last edited:
this is for 5 gal. got alot of people saying I need to edit this. but it is really good!

Malts (10 lb 5.4 oz)

6 lb (55.1%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L

12 oz (6.9%) — Proximity Malt Crystal 120L — Grain — 89.1 °L

12 oz (6.9%) — Avangard Munich Malt, Germany — Grain — 7.6 °L

12 oz (6.9%) — Briess Chocolate — Grain — 258.9 °L

9 oz (5.2%) — Briess Barley, Flaked — Grain — 1.8 °L

9 oz (5.2%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L

9 oz (5.2%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L

6.4 oz (3.7%) — Briess Black Malt 2-Row — Grain — 369.7 °L

Other (9 oz)
9 oz (5.2%) — Milk Sugar (Lactose) — Sugar — 0 °L

Hops (1.75 oz)
1 oz (18 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 60 min

0.75 oz (11 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 30 min

I can't say anything about the marshmallow, but the graham crackers Are just added like a dry ho

ya i wouldnt use actual marshmellows, everything that i have read about using them makes it sound like a terrible experience. I would use marshmellow flavoring. Same thing with Coconut, I did that once and i will never do it again.

Mashing short and really high in the saccrification range will result in a higher Finishing Gravity

Also using a yeast that's gunna attenuate less like some of them English fancy ESB yeast will help too.

The more complex sugars in the 120L will stay behind providing some Caramel malt and body.
Some flakes barley come to think of it would go nicely too. (Edit OK Flaked Oats yeah man!)

Hey what's the Nova Lager doing there?

You sure you dont want to use an ale strain?

I remember my Bonkers Stout it was a kitchen sink kinda beer with all sorts of malts and even a jar of spreadable Caramel spread in it just to make sure then ontop of all this I added a whole packet of toasted desiccated coconut into the fermenter
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1021086/bonkers-tout

Here's another great stout I've brewed with the flaked barley not my own recipe website at bottom of recipe but it's solid could omit the coffee and throw your marshmallows in there...
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/509259/choccoffee-stout

I feel this is what your going for @Bigbre04 one of them I've got an itch and I just have to scratch it type scenarios we've all been there.:p

The Nova lager is just a remenant of copying the black lager recipe and adjusting it from there. I would be using Voss(its what i use for most everything.

Attenuation wise, I have not had great attenuation with any of the yeasts that i have tried. I think it is related to the brewhouse that i have at the moment, but i am honestly not sure. I am slowly dropping my temps lower to try to increase my attenuation.

Im gonna keep working on the recipe for sure. I wont be brewing it until next month at the earliest. I brewed a batch of Black lager that should hold me until we get through the hot weather and into our "Fall"(its still hot, just not as hot).

I was also toying with throwing raspberry in there either with or without marshmellow flavoring. Did a raspberry stout last winter and it was pretty awesome.

The Nova lager is just a remenant of copying the black lager recipe and adjusting it from there. I would be using Voss(its what i use for most everything.

Attenuation wise, I have not had great attenuation with any of the yeasts that i have tried. I think it is related to the brewhouse that i have at the moment, but i am honestly not sure. I am slowly dropping my temps lower to try to increase my attenuation.

Im gonna keep working on the recipe for sure. I wont be brewing it until next month at the earliest. I brewed a batch of Black lager that should hold me until we get through the hot weather and into our "Fall"(its still hot, just not as hot).

I was also toying with throwing raspberry in there either with or without marshmellow flavoring. Did a raspberry stout last winter and it was pretty awesome.
Not that Nova wouldn't work lol that yeast seems to go well in any beer :D.

Good luck maybe take a peep at that cherry Stout thread it seems to be in a similar vein as your idea;).

...Ya I tend to make more complex grain bills. Im not sure if it is really needed. Im not super experienced with recipe building.
For lighter blond beers I think complicated grain bills hinder, but for the rest I definitely believe in layering flavours.

And I'd drop the brown malt, but that's because I don't like the flavour. In a layered dark beer it could easily work.

You could prime with meadowfoam honey.

I force carb in the Unitank at this point. Plus I dont trust honey lol. Honey caused me to dump a batch due to mead like flavors. I was very sad because i thought it would be a good recipe, but Voss cranked out a ton of mead flavors from a relatively small amount of honey.

Back