I brewed today!

English Porter

Ahab in relentless pursuit of his white whale… :D

IMG_1876.jpeg

image.jpg
And Red Wheat for Winter is in the fermenter for the final beer of the year. It looks like my gravity is on track, with a little bonus volume. I pitched ~100mL of active slurry from a previous batch using Wyeast 1056 slurry. I am not sure I got red - it looks very similar to nearly everything else that I brew. This will be the first beer to dispense from my keg, I am excited for that, but patient enough to wait for the reward late in January.

I see more kegs in your near future @Herm brews ;)
The lhbs has a rewards program, and I have enough points to offset a good portion of the cost of a new keg. I am looking at a 2.5 gallon Torpedo ball lock keg.
An acquaintance who assists the brewer at a favorite microbrewery might have a fermentation chamber for me - something the brewer wants to get rid of since he no longer needs the chamber. They will be contacting me soon. I am starting to look for a refrigerator for the garage. Changes will be coming to my brewhouse in this new brew year.

The lhbs has a rewards program, and I have enough points to offset a good portion of the cost of a new keg. I am looking at a 2.5 gallon Torpedo ball lock keg.
An acquaintance who assists the brewer at a favorite microbrewery might have a fermentation chamber for me - something the brewer wants to get rid of since he no longer needs the chamber. They will be contacting me soon. I am starting to look for a refrigerator for the garage. Changes will be coming to my brewhouse in this new brew year.
We will miss the photos of freshly bottled brew bud!

That's exciting news!
Obviously you know where to ask questions when they arise. :)

As the Rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper...

I was going to brew this morning, but the wife wasn't feeling well. Spent the AM running up to Urgent Care and getting meds. I did brew this afternoon but forgot to take pics with everything else going on. I nailed the mash temps and also nailed OG for once (1.062). My software predicted is was going to be dark, and it is.
I remembered the blow off tube for that yeast too. Hopefully, I have good luck with my first Dubbel and don't blow up the fermenter.

I
It is a total crap shoot on the cocoa powder and the mint. we'll see how it turns out.
If mints anything like peppermint I put a good handful of whole sprigs in leaf stem and all that gets a very noticeable peppermint flavour and less of an aroma in that wheat style beer.

Back