Yeast Pitching question

Hmmm, seems that only sugar will not be the best option. Maybe do a 1L worth few days before brewing. Calculating to match your recipe and get the worth at 68 for one hour, extract the nutrients from the malt and get around 1030 of gravity. Cool down and pitch the yeast. Let it for 1-2 days, brew and pitch your yeast that supposed to be just healthy and good to go. Lot's of extra work, bu might worth it for the lack of the DME. Probably the DME it's cheaper.
What do you think guys?

As JA said above, you should be able to get a good solid ferment with your 7 grams of yeast. I've never used a starter and have always pitched the yeast directly into the cool wort. Sprinkle it in, mix it around a bit, and you should be good to go. It may take a few more hours to show activity (bubbling). When I've done full 5 gallon batches, it seems to take a day or two to really get going.

Thanks OMB. I'm using those little bags for the hops so I'll just toss the last one in and leave it til fermenter time. It always takes an hour or more to get to pitch temperature anyway. You must have hit on a dynamite recipe -- see how many folks have brewed it already?!

even more the recipe was created by BeerFan on the old norther brewer website, they changed to another forum and it was lost I just happened to pick it up right before that and it was already a hit for years before me

even more the recipe was created by BeerFan on the old norther brewer website, they changed to another forum and it was lost I just happened to pick it up right before that and it was already a hit for years before me

Huh, ya learn something new every day on this site. Gonna have to pick me up a sixer of S/N for comparison -- never had it before.

Update on the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone: It turned out to be the best homebrew I've ever had. It aged really well -- after three months it was extremely smooth and mellow with good hoppiness and not too citrusy. This is definitely going to be my next brew. Thanks to Ozarks Mountain Brew for posting the recipe!

its always my favorite and I have a slight variation of that beer in the fermenter now, its a test using less hops with cryo cascade, on my versions I put the perl closer to 15 min , it has more of a grapefruit flavor than cascade

its always my favorite and I have a slight variation of that beer in the fermenter now, its a test using less hops with cryo cascade, on my versions I put the perl closer to 15 min , it has more of a grapefruit flavor than cascade
Ditto that: there's nothing quite like a well made, fresh pale ale.

I have always heard that sugar water alone as the base for yeast starter is not good. However, one day I needed to make a starter and had just a little DME laying around. So, it was a compromise. I did use sugar water to make up the volume and I did add nutrient and also a drop of olive oil. It turned out fine and seemed to result in the usual starter results. I do use a stir plate and that makes a big difference. Now I always make sure to capture a little extra sparge water and save the resultant wort for the next starter. This works great and you have already purchased those grains.

I have always heard that sugar water alone as the base for yeast starter is not good. However, one day I needed to make a starter and had just a little DME laying around. So, it was a compromise. I did use sugar water to make up the volume and I did add nutrient and also a drop of olive oil. It turned out fine and seemed to result in the usual starter results. I do use a stir plate and that makes a big difference. Now I always make sure to capture a little extra sparge water and save the resultant wort for the next starter. This works great and you have already purchased those grains.
Do you measure the gravity of the leftover wort?

Back