Working with flaked barley, extract brew.

Kosh

Trial Member
Reaction score
extract brew.
I have seen several recipes from reputable companies such as northern brewer that call for flaked barley to be steeped along with the other specialty grains. Since steeping does not convert the flaked barley properly will this hurt anything?

Will flaked barley convert properly or better at least if I steep it in about 3 quarts of my extract rather than water for 30 minutes at 158°. ? I'm only using 7 oz flaked barley To get flavor and body out of it, I think that Palmer did an article on steeping In wort -vs -water. Only concerned with the flavor and body it will add. I do not wish to mash. This is for an Irish stout. 2.5 gal batch, extract.
thanks!

The texture is really what I'm looking for.

Then it will work. Mashed, it provides sugars, too.

To answer your question about steeping in extract instead of water: Extracts don't have the enzymes needed for conversion. Extracts are concentrated wort that's a product of mashing grains. The enzymes in the malted grains were denatured during the .process.

So by steeping you'll be introducing unconverted starches to your beer not such a big deal in a stout.

There's not an inherent difference between steeping and mashing. If you hold only Crystal malts or roasted grain at 158 for 30 minutes, you're steeping. If you add an amount of base malt to the mix, you're mashing. If you want to get the most out of your flaked barley, add a pound of 2-Row and steep as usual. You'll get a few extra gravity points from conversion and you'll utilize the flaked barley in a little better way.

Back