Wireless Hydrometer

I believe I figured it out....the formula from the iSpindel spreadsheet doesn't work. found another post from someone who made their own spreadsheet with a radically different formula output and wouldn't you know it....it works! thanks for checking your side.
upload_2020-8-20_12-11-0.png

I use a Tilt - I only have one - and it works a treat. I have got it working from inside a brew fridge via two systems. One is an old Sony phone permanently plugged into the charger and suspended on the wall near the garage door, and the other is via a Raspberry Pi Zero W set up to be line of site to the Wifi in the house. I can get the signal into the house even with the metal garage door closed.
I have set up the Pi connected to an old PC monitor suspended from the ceiling and set, usually, to 200% in the on-board Google Chrome screen. With characters that big I can see the readings from the kitchen window - with the garage door open of course.

The most useful setting is to have the Cloud messages set to broadcast every 3 hours - too many readings in the Fermentation of the Brew Log otherwise.

The only PainInTheButt is the 600 character string of characters you have to type in to set up the Cloud connection - why does it have to be so long?

Screen settings were at the normal 125% - still visible at range but I prefer them to fill the screen. The fermentation fridge is shown to be in the warming up part of the cycle.
upload_2020-8-20_20-25-44.png

I own 2 Tilts. I bought a Raspberry PI and loaded the Tilt PI SW and integrated it with my Brewers Friend brew sessions. The only problem I have encountered with the Raspberry PI integration is when I have 2 fermentation going (one at room temp in my house and one in temp controlled mini frig in garage). The bluetooth signal can only cover a certain distance, so I had to experiment in positioning the Raspberry PI so it would pick up both Tilts. I also bought a 5" LED display that attaches to the Raspberry PI. I ended up not using it, since it easier to view it on any web browser when I'm home.

BF lists the URL for the PI integration in your brew session. All you you have to do is cut and paste it into Tilt Raspberry PI app.

My next purchase is a Kegtron ( https://kegtron.com ). This is a system to monitor how much beer you have left in your keg via bluetooth and a phone app. They don't have a Raspberry PI implementation or BF integration, but an email from them said they were looking into it.

BF lists the URL for the PI integration in your brew session. All you you have to do is cut and paste it into Tilt Raspberry PI app.

Yes that would be OK except I haven't been able to log on to BF on the Raspberry Pi in the garage - The Pi interface and Google Chrome is not that sophisticated and I haven't worked out how to do that. I tried copying a text file onto the Pi and dump it on the SD card - such a faf.
I have the string printed out - in large letters so I can rad it without my glasses on - but it's stil a PITB.

If your router is halfway decent and you've gone with the defaults, the address should be http://tiltpi:1880/ui/ on any machine connected to the same router. That said a fair number of the routers I've used don't do the name resolution and you'd have to work out the IP address of the Pi. So then it's back to your PITB approach.

Interesting project. Is there a need for the redundancy in gravity change detection? Or just relatively easy to do, so why not?

Bubble logger?

Not sure why you would go there, sorry, no insult intended.
What is a bubble logger?

LOL no it's my sense of humour.... I just thought it sounded like a good one... I may use it the next time I have to speak to a politician...lol

I should have added an emoji to my original comment but I couldn't see one.

I'm thinking I read something somewhere about a device that was supposed to determine progression of fermentation by counting bubbles in a specialized airlock.... As many times as we've answered the I-have-krauesen-but-no-bubbles question, I was never excited by the technology.

I'm thinking I read something somewhere about a device that was supposed to determine progression of fermentation by counting bubbles in a specialized airlock.... As many times as we've answered the I-have-krauesen-but-no-bubbles question, I was never excited by the technology.

It's called Plaato- I've seen it at HomebrewCon. They claim that it measures the amount of co2 coming out, so it gives the fermentation data. The people that use them seem to like them.

Plaato Airlock wasn't it? I read something about that too.

I'm just imagining the questions that would arise from people using the device on leaky carboys....

LOL no it's my sense of humour.... I just thought it sounded like a good one... I may use it the next time I have to speak to a politician...lol

I should have added an emoji to my original comment but I couldn't see one.
All good!o_O

Like this for instance!
I didn't watch the videos, I have no interest in something like this.
I do get using the tilts and such though if you are a pro brewer and are tracking multiple batches, I have seen a video where a brew house had a big screen up on the wall showing the progress of several batches at once.
Power to those who are interested in either tracking gravity, or bubbles:rolleyes:

Speidel bubble counter 1.JPG
Speidel bubble counter 2.JPG

Back