Wireless Hydrometer

I really like the graph. I especially like being able to see the flattening of the gravity curve.
You'll still see it, but if you only update it a few times a day, you won't see it as early as you do with the constant updates.

I made three iSpindels and just love the results. With these you do not need a secondary device. It will send the data straight to brewersfriend (or a bunch of other places) when you configure it. The batteries don't last as long as the tilt but are rechargeable. So between brews I just place it on my phone charger for a day or so. I built the three for about $60. Having said all that I someday hope to have a tilt too.
Any chance you could link to a how to on building one of these there Chaos pls?

I like to try and make a fair bit of the stuff I brew with just thought I'd take a look and see how difficult it may be...
Also at that price it's pretty tempting too:)

Now can I remember the homebrew electronics skills Dad helped me with when I was a kid?

TrialBen, Mark beat me to it. That was the exact site I used. I ordered the boards and all the parts one weekend and they came in slowly over the next seven weeks. After all the parts were in the next weekend I put them together. Honestly it was a lot of fun to put them together. Calibrating them was the difficult part since I was using ubidots.com but with the free subscription they only allow two devices. Feel free to hit me up with any questions along the way.

I attempted to integrate with the iSpindel but without success. AP shows up in my Wifi, from there this crazy Old Geezer lost. Does anyone have any simple step-by-steps to getting my iSpindel integrated?

TrialBen, Mark beat me to it. That was the exact site I used. I ordered the boards and all the parts one weekend and they came in slowly over the next seven weeks. After all the parts were in the next weekend I put them together. Honestly it was a lot of fun to put them together. Calibrating them was the difficult part since I was using ubidots.com but with the free subscription they only allow two devices. Feel free to hit me up with any questions along the way.
I'm yet to commit to this project yet.
I want to build a proper control pannel for my brew rig yet.
I'm in the process of convincing the missus that a 15amp line to the patio is an important addition :p.

I attempted to integrate with the iSpindel but without success. AP shows up in my Wifi, from there this crazy Old Geezer lost. Does anyone have any simple step-by-steps to getting my iSpindel integrated?

Hi OldGeezer,
I'm assuming you have calibrated the iSpindel with 1.0 SG at 20-30 degrees in the calibration screen. And of course the rest of the gravity points. If so great you've done the hard time consuming part!

This is for version 6.2.0. However I think any 6.x version is very similar.
Now in BF go to your profile - integrations page and get YOUR iSpindel API key.
With this information go into the calibrations screen of the iSpindel screen again and set these four settings.
Update Interval = 900
Service Type = HTTP
Server Address = log.brewersfriend.com
Path/URI = /iSpindel/Your API key from integration page

Save the page and let the iSpindel reboot. Wait a minute and turn off/turn on iSpindel and look at the devices page in BF. You should see your unit there.

If you're stuck on a different part , let me know. I have put a three together recently so the details are still fresh in the old memory bank.

this page helped me some --> https://www.opensourcedistilling.com/ispindel/

Last edited:
I used my new Tilt with my Father's Day weekend brew. Soooo cool. I have not linked it to a site yet to use the graphs but I sure love the simplicity of it. I used S-05 in a nice subtle cream ale...I had no idea how fast S-05 fermented until I could see it working!

As soon as they start delivering ss fermenters again I might just get another one!

I used my new Tilt with my Father's Day weekend brew. Soooo cool. I have not linked it to a site yet to use the graphs but I sure love the simplicity of it. I used S-05 in a nice subtle cream ale...I had no idea how fast S-05 fermented until I could see it working!

As soon as they start delivering ss fermenters again I might just get another one!
Did you also get the repeater? I have a Tilt on the way and I use a Ss feremeter. I read where the signal is not good inside stainless.

Did you also get the repeater? I have a Tilt on the way and I use a Ss feremeter. I read where the signal is not good inside stainless.
I use a Tilt with the SS Brewtech stainless fermenter. I have an old iPad located about 5 ft away and the signal is good. I had it indoors and the signal was intermittent. When I had the iPad indoors, the signal had to travel through the fermenter and an outside wall, so the signal attenuation was a bit much. Look at where your equipment is with relation to your data collection device and your wifi router. This should help determine if you need a repeater.

https://docs.brewersfriend.com/devices/ispindel

Those are the step by step instructions- and we're all here to help. I don't have an iSpindel (I have a Tilt) but if my non-techie skills can do it, I know you'll have no problem here!

I did not get the repeater. I have the SS Brewtech 7 gal Brewbucket. My device will not connect if I am more than 3 or 4 mters (10 - 15 feet) from the fermenter. THAT sucks but is not a deal breaker. I can leave my device right on top of the fermenter and the router is only a few feet away from it. I will see if I can get it on-line at a later date. The Tilt arrived a day before I brewed so I didn't have a lot of time to set it up. Next brew.

That said...it is an awesome piece of equipment. No more screwing around with taking samples; at least not until it's time to bottle.

Hint: take the time to calibrate it before you use it. When I popped it into the fermenter I got an SG of 1.055 (which WAS what is supposed to be) but the manual sample I took with the glass hydrometer to double check things said a very clear 1.060. Once this brew is done I will calibrate the TILT.

I did not get the repeater. I have the SS Brewtech 7 gal Brewbucket. My device will not connect if I am more than 3 or 4 mters (10 - 15 feet) from the fermenter.

Hint: take the time to calibrate it before you use it. When I popped it into the fermenter I got an SG of 1.055 (which WAS what is supposed to be) but the manual sample I took with the glass hydrometer to double check things said a very clear 1.060. Once this brew is done I will calibrate the TILT.
The low power is an inherent limitation of Bluetooth. Even in clear air, I have BT devices that only have a range of about 20 ft to my phone. I did what you did and just left a device sitting next to the fermenter.

I calibrated mine when I got it, although it was only off by about 0.001. Over a year and a half, I did check the calibration regularly and only had to re-calibrate once,

I find the value to be more in the trending of the numbers rather than the absolute readings. Even if you're off by 0.005, you'll be off by that amount through the entire fermentation process, so you'll be able to see the curve.

Hi OldGeezer,
I'm assuming you have calibrated the iSpindel with 1.0 SG at 20-30 degrees in the calibration screen. And of course the rest of the gravity points. If so great you've done the hard time consuming part!

This is for version 6.2.0. However I think any 6.x version is very similar.
Now in BF go to your profile - integrations page and get YOUR iSpindel API key.
With this information go into the calibrations screen of the iSpindel screen again and set these four settings.
Update Interval = 900
Service Type = HTTP
Server Address = log.brewersfriend.com
Path/URI = /iSpindel/Your API key from integration page

Save the page and let the iSpindel reboot. Wait a minute and turn off/turn on iSpindel and look at the devices page in BF. You should see your unit there.

If you're stuck on a different part , let me know. I have put a three together recently so the details are still fresh in the old memory bank.

this page helped me some --> https://www.opensourcedistilling.com/ispindel/

Thanks for the reply to my earlier post. I was able to have everything connect with your step-by-step instructions. However, I have four fermenters and have build the 2nd iSpindel and cannot get it to connect to the network. Set AP, type in IP: 192.168.4.1, Times out.
attempted to chrome and Firefox, no Joy. I did get it to save the Configuration with Microsoft Edge, but now nothing works.

So I went back to the 1st iSpindel I setup and had configured. It will no connect either. Do I need separate API Key for each iSpindel?

I've checked Firewall setting, everything good.

Any suggestions other than time to quite attempting something a wore out brain cannot comprehend.

BTW: I have 6.3.1 firmware flashed to both of these.

Last edited:
I have calibrated my iSpindel (2 of them) and got them transmitting to brewersfriend. Problem is they appear to be displaying only Plato, not SG. I am using the SG link, but I am getting this. I am also set to use SG for my sugar scale under general settings. Any suggestions? They are currently sitting in the calibration solution I was using and should be around 1.010 or so.
upload_2020-8-20_8-10-37.png

Last edited:
I have calibrated my iSpindel (2 of them) and got them transmitting to brewersfriend. Problem is they appear to be displaying only Plato, not SG. I am using the SG link, but I am getting this. I am also set to use SG for my sugar scale under general settings. Any suggestions? They are currently sitting in the calibration solution I was using and should be around 1.010 or so.
View attachment 11493

I'll check into this. Our developer who works on this just happens to be out of the office for a couple of days, but I'll see what I can do.

View attachment 11493

I can't see any problem on our end. Can you try again to follow the step-by-step directions here: https://docs.brewersfriend.com/devices/ispindel
As you can see (scroll down a little) ispindel doesn't use SG, it uses plaato. Using the SG link should work, however.

strange stuff....if I remove my calibrated polynominal formula I get from doing the easy calibration steps my offset calibration shows a gravity of 0.000. if I enter the polinominal formula it shows a gravity of 30.184. I have checked my datapoints and everything looks right (see below), what could be wrong with the formula?

upload_2020-8-20_11-14-1.png

Back