Who is brewing today?

Just finished oatmeal stout, OG shot up to 1.080 as suppose to per recipe's 1.067. rest went smoothly well
That's a pretty big jump. Are you sure you have all the settings right? Or are reading the gravity correctly?
If you have a low efficiency setting in the calculator, it'll reflect a much lower OG that what you can realistically expect.

big big difference ! whenever i find things like that in my brewery i tend to double check everything
i had 1 batch waaay over OG and after calling my LHBS they agree i may have got a little extra malt since " i'm a good customer " i now double check weights before i mash in

Reactions: J A
Good I don't feel bad about double checking everything before starting a session, including testing my water right before I fire it up

gave me a headache ! mash eff % came in at 105 % from memory , brewhouse mid 90s and threw my beer out of balance , i got lower hop utilisation and didn't have enough hops in the house to get the IBUs i wanted so wasn't a favour at all

Look for second hand fridges wood house a lot cheaper and will serve your purposes just as well. I picked up my freezer for 50 $ bucks
That's what I had and it bit the dust a couple of months after I bought it. I actually got it from a homebrewer who used it for lagering and such but was moving and couldn't take it with him.

That sandiego super yeast is an aggressive fermentor and high attenuator I got 83%. How you going to cold crash these conicals.?
This 090 yeast is ripping along and moving quickly. I know bubbles don't necessarily indicate anything other than activity, but it sure seems to have started bobbing the airlock within 6 hours or so. I'll take a gravity reading next week, but I expect it will be close to done in primary by next Monday/Tuesday.

This yeast can rip through that sugar in 4 days! My guess is it will be done in a week. I've had grain to glass in less than two weeks. And that Pilsner was done grain to glass in two weeks.

R
That's a pretty big jump. Are you sure you have all the settings right? Or are reading the gravity correctly?
If you have a low efficiency setting in the calculator, it'll reflect a much lower OG that what you can realistically expect.

All settings seem to be in order, the only thing that is not calculated in the recipe is additional ingredients. I added baker's bittersweet chocolate"100g" and Santos ground Coffee "70g" both not integrated in the calculations and I suspect that's what caused the gravity jump.

All settings seem to be in order, the only thing that is not calculated in the recipe is additional ingredients. I added baker's bittersweet chocolate"100g" and Santos ground Coffee "70g" both not integrated in the calculations and I suspect that's what caused the gravity jump.
I couldn't believe 100g of chocolate and 70g of coffee would raise your mash 13 points there Awil :rolleyes:. Your efficiency seems to be better than what you've got it set to in your brewing profile mate:). What's? Your efficiency set for?

Reactions: J A
Same same I usually get 75+ consistent around 80% now. So there is a potential 10% increase in efficiency to you awil which can throw your OG or SG off.

What was your calculated efficiency ?
With BIAB I usually get high 70s to 80% , still set to 78% I think so usually hit my targets give or take a point
Calculated at 70% but obviously it's higher. I am going to re-calculate and assume 80% . All the other variables seem ok.

No need to assume awil using your recipie adjust your brew house efficiency until it lines up with your actual OG and this will give you your brew house efficiency for that brew.

No need to assume awil using your recipie adjust your brew house efficiency until it lines up with your actual OG and this will give you your brew house efficiency for that brew.
Done. cheers

Back