Who is brewing today?

Here are some pictures of the Fast Fermenter...
20170115_173844-1209x1612.jpg
20170115_173905-1209x1612.jpg
20170115_173916-1209x1612.jpg
20170115_173926-1209x1612.jpg

That is a heck of a fermentor rig there wood house what's the bulb at the bottom the trub sediment catcher?

Yup. There is a butterfly valve in the union, so when its done in primary, I simply close off the valve and all of the trub (and effectively a yeast culture) can be removed. To start secondary, I simply re-attach a new, clean bulb and then open the valve back up. These bulbs are designed to allow you to capture and reuse your yeast strands (I think Trialben mentioned this earlier today). The bulbs have a cap and can go right into the fridge until its time for a new starter. This particular yeast is the White Labs San Diego "Super Yeast" so I will definitely be culturing this one.

There is also a hose barb fitting for the bottom of the valve so once secondary is done, I will remove the bulb and attach a bottling hose. This thing is designed to allow for primary, secondary, and bottling all in one container without transferring. It has very good reviews and is cheaper than a stainless setup. I mentioned it earlier, but again the setup also came with wall-mount brackets in case I ever wanted to hang it. Oh, and because its conical and designed to collect pretty much all the trub, it doesn't require finings (so they say), just a cold crash to drop bright.

I'll let you know my experiences with it and most more pics as it goes along.

Thanks!

I wanted to see how I like this before I added the sampling ports. I assume I will add the port to this unit and possibly get 1-2 more fermenters if all goes well. I usually have 3-4 carboys in rotation at any given time so I figure 3 of these should do the trick (since you don't have to transfer to a secondary vessel).

That sandiego super yeast is an aggressive fermentor and high attenuator I got 83%. How you going to cold crash these conicals.?

That's why I won't buy them. I'd want to make my lagers with them. Cold crashing is optional, though.

That sandiego super yeast is an aggressive fermentor and high attenuator I got 83%. How you going to cold crash these conicals.?
I think I can get it to sit in my freezer with the collection ball off. If not, I will just put it in my outside shed as outdoor temps where I'm at are low enough to crash right now. I just got a thermal jacket and may be able to get it around the vessel which will allow me to prevent it from freezing. I am going to have to trial and error with it. If the weather doesn't cooperate than I'll probably just use some Super-Kleer and see what that does in the conical.

I'm sure it will be fine, though.

I recon in a refrigerator with all the shelves removed you would be able to cold crash her?
The beers I've fermented with that 090 yeast have been clean and crisp I think you'll be very pleased with the results ;)

I picked up a glass front cooler from a friend for temp controlled fermentation I can fit the fast fermentors in its stand and still have room for 2 shelves of beer

I had a fridge but it stopped working hence I recently moved to the temp. controlled freezer...so, we will have to see, Trialben.

I have heard great things and your comments just reinforce what I've heard about the Super Yeast from "Dago" - having lived in San Diego for 3 years when I was on active duty in the USMC, and loving every minute of it, it seemed like an obvious fit! I am glad that I can harvest the strand in this conical and use it again soon.

I'll let you know how I figure out clarifying (cold crash or finings, etc.).

I picked up a glass front cooler from a friend for temp controlled fermentation I can fit the fast fermentors in its stand and still have room for 2 shelves of beer
That's a good idea...I still need to dispose of the defunct fridge in my "brew warehouse" - I may look for one of these to replace it.

That's a good idea...I still need to dispose of the defunct fridge in my "brew warehouse" - I may look for one of these to replace it.
Look for second hand fridges wood house a lot cheaper and will serve your purposes just as well. I picked up my freezer for 50 $ bucks

Just be careful to keep light off the beer , having 2 vessels is great but unless each zone has separate temp control then one will often be warmer than other

You guys make we want to call off sick and make it a brew day lol.

Just finished oatmeal stout, OG shot up to 1.080 as suppose to per recipe's 1.067. rest went smoothly well

Back