Who do you cheer for?

My step son was a Triple A player all the way through, never "the" top player, but always "a" top player.
He had numerous concussions and had to stop playing as well, the last when he was playing Junior B in Paris Ontario.
He is good now, he is a teacher now after 6 years of University.
My observations at the time were that he had his head down too much, and he never stayed out long enough after each injury.
I was just a step Dad, no one listened to me, his Dad and the team just wanted him back, ready or not.
Hopefully his later years are no affected by these brain injuries.

Both my sons play lacrosse, box and field and we often here "its so dangerous" it indeed looks rough but in 5 years of coaching I haven't witnessed a significant injury in any practice or game play.

Couple things contribute to significantly less head injuries compared to other contact sports:

one is they start checking at age 8.......so learning to safely check and get checked is an inherent part of the teaching program

two is the speed, compared to hockey the worst case is running speed, compared to skating speed, that and most checks happen with both players running in a similar direction, as opposed to the big hockey hits with a player coming down the ice with the puck (hopefully head up eyes up).

Last edited:
Oh yeah that sucks. I don't blame him. I don't like how many people get hurt either, I am quite glad to stop playing contact hockey.

You think Jujar is coming back, I wonder if he returned to soon after the ko from Ritchie, he left the game pretty wobbly after what seemed like a fairly light check. Light from my couch at least......

Today the greatest American goalie of all time, Ryan Miller, announced he's retiring after this season. He holds the record for wins by an American at 390, has a Vezina and backstopped a scrappy young American team to a silver medal in 2010. He never had a "bad" season with the Sabres from 2005-2014 and the only even average season he had was in 07-08 when they road him into the game with 76 games. He was definitely more consistent than contemporaries like Carey Price and aged much better than someone like Jonathon Quick. He was also pretty much the Sabres best player from 2009-2014 and the only thing that kept them relevant in the playoff race in many of the seasons after Briere and Drury left the team. He also made more than a few unbelievable saves along the way.

Ryan Miller was a beauty!
Sydney caught him off guard on the "Golden Goal" in 2010.
If I am not mistaken the US team went undefeated in the tournament, right up until that overtime goal in the gold medal game

Ryan Miller was a beauty!
Sydney caught him off guard on the "Golden Goal" in 2010.
If I am not mistaken the US team went undefeated in the tournament, right up until that overtime goal in the gold medal game
Yes including a 5-3 upset of Canada in the preliminary round. Sid was the one guy that just always seemed to have Miller's number. He scored the lone goal against Miller to win the first winter classic in Buffalo. It was cool though cause the Sabres first game back after the Olympic break that year was in Pittsburgh and the PA announcer recognized all the Olympic participants and Miller got a bigger ovation from the crowd than any Penguins player, including Sid

Adam Brooks, centering the 4th line with Jumbo Joe, and Spezza. It's like it's bring your kid to work day!
FB_IMG_1620052137729.jpg

Brooks playing his 16th NHL game tonight.
Thornton game #1766
Spezza game #1173

I have wanted for a long time for the Sabres to try to construct their bottom 6 the way the Leafs do. Making it more about puck control and skill than being a "checking line". I like the mix of young skill guys with the aging former top line guys. Especially since those guys tend to improve their defensive impacts as their offensive skills decline. My motto is control the puck control the game

Can I get a "Go Leafs Go"???
First time Leafs meet Montreal in the playoffs since 1979. Habs were a powerhouse team then, beat the Leafs in 4 straight, then went on to win yet another Stanley Cup...
Screenshot_20210516-104150_Instagram.jpg

Back