Whiskey, Bourbon, and Other Fine Spirits!

The wife and kids got me a new tasty bottle of scotch.
PXL_20200930_222605870.jpg

Nice. I've heard good things about it, but never tried it.
If you are a peat lover and like a decently priced really good scotch, I do recommend it. I love what the Islay region offers in it's scotch. Really complex with all the smoke, salinity and flavors from the sea, mixed in with everything else you'd expect from a scotch.

If you are a peat lover and like a decently priced really good scotch, I do recommend it. I love what the Islay region offers in it's scotch. Really complex with all the smoke, salinity and flavors from the sea, mixed in with everything else you'd expect from a scotch.

Once upon a time, I was an avid scotch drinker. I even bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 when I graduated College thinking it was going to be a great one. However, for my palate, it was just too much peat. Tasted like drinking charcoal. That kinda killed my scotch adventures.

Not long after that I got into Bourbon and have never really looked back. I've still got 4 or 5 bottles in my stash in case someone wants one when they come over (prior to covid of course). I've been so focused on bourbon for so long, I've almost forgotten about my first true love in whisky.

Perhaps it's time to revisit my old flame.

Got curious about what I had left and started digging through the pantry. Turns out I only have two bottles of scotch left. Pretty much everyone knows the one on the right, but the one on the left (12 year Tomatin sherry cask finished) appears to be somewhat obscure to me. One of my neighbors gave it to me as a gift several years ago. If memory serves me right, we had fun one night and the next day found what was left in the bottle. Pretty sure I was drinking a bottle of bourbon that I had given him. Like I said, I had pretty much given up on scotch. Any way, we both had fun and ended up drinking something we liked.

I'm going to pour a glencairn of it tonight to see if time has changed my taste.

20201001_130428.jpg

Got curious about what I had left and started digging through the pantry. Turns out I only have two bottles of scotch left. Pretty much everyone knows the one on the right, but the one on the left (12 year Tomatin sherry cask finished) appears to be somewhat obscure to me. One of my neighbors gave it to me as a gift several years ago. If memory serves me right, we had fun one night and the next day found what was left in the bottle. Pretty sure I was drinking a bottle of bourbon that I had given him. Like I said, I had pretty much given up on scotch. Any way, we both had fun and ended up drinking something we liked.

I'm going to pour a glencairn of it tonight to see if time has changed my taste.

View attachment 12191
I have had a Tomatin, but not that variety, same deal on the Macallan. Looking forward to a report on your experience!

I have had a Tomatin, but not that variety, same deal on the Macallan. Looking forward to a report on your experience!

I ended up stumbling across a bottle of Early Times bottled in bond at the liquor store that day... Long story short, I never got to the scotch. Decided to scratch the scotch until the weekend. I'll report back with my tasting notes probably later tonight.

I ended up stumbling across a bottle of Early Times bottled in bond at the liquor store that day... Long story short, I never got to the scotch. Decided to scratch the scotch until the weekend. I'll report back with my tasting notes probably later tonight.
That Early Times BIB is excellent imo. It's getting harder to find the last few months so I'm savoring every drop just in case. I think the distillery was recently purchased by another (can't remember details) but supposedly going to be a shelf stock item again and hopefully soon.

That Early Times BIB is excellent imo. It's getting harder to find the last few months so I'm savoring every drop just in case. I think the distillery was recently purchased by another (can't remember details) but supposedly going to be a shelf stock item again and hopefully soon.

I really like the Early Times bottled and Bond as well. But for my taste, old tub edges it out. Just a really good creamy sweet vanilla with a little bit of roasted pecan nuttiness going on.

View attachment 12191

Just took a swig of it now.

Aroma had massive amounts of butter and floral notes to it. Faint hint of the Sherry cask on it, not really much Sherry on the nose.

Flavor was a butter bomb. Definitely had a little bit of fruitiness in there and almost like a rose petal thing going on. Picked up a little bit of a pear note as well. Mouth feel was very good and had a sweet note all the way through. For some reason it seems like I'm picking up a eucalyptus thing going on.

Overall, it was a decent whiskey. I still favor my Bourbons over Scotch (at least this one). However, I think from time to time I'll pour a little dram and reminisce about the good old days in college.

Have had a couple bottles this Highland Single Malt over the years, but it has been a while, so it was time to add one to the collection! Sorry, bad picture...

20201008_205949.jpg

Back