Whiskey, Bourbon, and Other Fine Spirits!

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
Seems to be enough chatter here to justify a 'spirits' thread I think. I love my beer, but I need my bourbon too!

I'm meeting a few pals later today, and we are filling our own barrel (3 gallon) at a local distillery. We'll have the opportunity to sample the barrel whenever we want and we decide when it's ready. We also get to choose the proofing. We can go cask strength, proof it down, and combination. My guess is we'll do a few cask strengths and proof down the rest. Once the barrel is empty, we are leaning towards filling it with rum on the next go around.

Sounds like a plan. That reminds me, a local winery has been distilling for several years. They added several gins to the list of brandies a couple of years ago and their first whiskey is supposed to be ready some time this Summer. Need to go down there for soma samples.

Thanks for the thread TW! Here’s a shot of my Cream Ale and my favorite whiskey. Cheers! :)
upload_2019-7-20_16-20-21.jpeg

Alright, I've had enough torture. Don't care how much the Gunny gets pissed off, I'm gonna get a jug next time I'm out!

Funny you should post this. Had a Manhattan last night made with Jameson IPA Cask Mate. Made a great Irish Manhattan :) Also tried it straight. to me it tasted just like regular Jameson. Now I see why you had no comment about it.

Cheers!

Funny you should post this. Had a Manhattan last night made with Jameson IPA Cask Mate. Made a great Irish Manhattan :) Also tried it straight. to me it tasted just like regular Jameson. Now I see why you had no comment about it.

Cheers!
I do like the stout mate, but I've never really gotten the ipa version. I read somewhere the other day they're releasing a new cask mate. I can't remember what it was. Sherry maybe?

I do like the stout mate, but I've never really gotten the ipa version. I read somewhere the other day they're releasing a new cask mate. I can't remember what it was. Sherry maybe?

Ah. Misunderstood and thought you had. The Stout is great and it isn't any different at their Dublin distillery.

Ah. Misunderstood and thought you had. The Stout is great and it isn't any different at their Dublin distillery.
I worded poorly. I've had the IPA cask mate but I don't get it. Much like your response to it, I can't really tell anything is going on there. If I close my eyes and concentrate really hard, maybe there is a bit of bitterness on the finish? Or do I just imagine that because it's got IPA in the labeling?

I try some of the cheap stuff (on sale) to find a new favorite. Only happened once, LOL. Need to get another bottle of it soon.
This is one of the cheap crap ones in my opinion. Actually mellows kinda nice with the ice. Took me 6 pictures to get a good pic of my ice cube too!
rittenhouse.jpg

*I'll try to get a few pictures of the good bottles in use tomorrow at the hotel.;'P

I haven't seen any bonded whiskey in ages and can't imagine any being cheap. If you're confusing harshness as being an attribute of cheap whiskey I can tell you that rye is, by nature, harsh. Not familiar with that brand, so can't comment on how it compares to more popular ryes.

I actually really like that Rittenhouse. Especially for $25. Evan Williams Bottled in Bond is even better at about $18 although not a rye.
I'm not a big believer in ya gotta spend bank to get a good whiskey. Just about every high dollar bottle these days was dirt cheap 20 yrs or so ago.
Give me a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and I'm happy as a lark.
That is a damn nice ice cube by the way!

When I regularly drank whiskey I really liked some of the cheaper brands. Early Times, Evan Williams, Ancient Age and even Hiram Walker's Ten High. When I worked in Sales my boss would pick a special prize for the regional manager whot got the first sale of a new product at a given quantity. My prize was always a bottle of ridiculously expensive whiskey. To be honest, I preferred the cheap stuff over many of them.
I'm with you on the Wild Turkey 101. Give me something that bites.

Just saying if you're looking for a cheap or maybe better inexpensive rye for your Manhattan or other cocktail, this might be for you. If you're looking for a stand-alone rye...no. I don't follow the practice "for the price it's good".
Finished off a bottle last week of Sazerac Straight Rye for a few bucks more that was FAR superior.

*you are right, for the most part ryes are not my thing but i have and do find some good ones.

Last one for the night. Here's another popular one that i can't stand (without some dilution). Not a big fan of any whisky that i've tried really..hahaha.
Will admit i love the aroma...just not the taste of smoke unless it's on meat.
johnnie black.jpg

Just saying if you're looking for a cheap or maybe better inexpensive rye for your Manhattan or other cocktail, this might be for you. If you're looking for a stand-alone rye...no. I don't follow the practice "for the price it's good".
Finished off a bottle last week of Sazerac Straight Rye for a few bucks more that was FAR superior.

*you are right, for the most part ryes are not my thing but i have and do find some good ones.

I'm a firm believer in go with what you like. Heavy rye is very distinctive for sure.
Some think price reflects quality and that just isn't true. I laugh every time when I see a certain bottle cost over $30 at a popular liquor store knowing I can get the exact same bottle for $20 at a hole in the wall mom and pop shop a couple miles away.
I like your ice mold. I have large square and round molds, but nobody ever refills them lol.

Back