Whiskey, Bourbon, and Other Fine Spirits!

Glenlivet 12, kinda went backwards here, drank it, then took a picture of the empty glass:cool:

20200819_225516.jpg

This is straight from the barrel so uncut and will give ya a big enough hug to take your breath away and feel it down to your belly button! Lots of oak, cherry, cinnamon, lots of grass/hay malty grains. I get almond brittle and even some peach on the end. Great for sipping, and cutting with water or ice, and makes a killer Old Fashioned if that's your thing. I'm mostly a neat drinker, but that's the beauty of cask strength in my opinion, very versatile and holds up to about anything.
All in ones like bling;)
I'm speechless

Big bourbon fan here, glad I stumbled across this thread.

What are your top 3 bourbons. Be sure to include why those whiskeys are your favorite.

I'm thinking about branching out from my collection (which took a long to to collect) listed below so you can get an idea of what I like. They are listed in order of preference. My favorites are the ones that coat the mouth with vanilla, caramel, cherry, spice, and oak. Also like the citrus and sweet corn notes as well. Not so much on the cinnamon and alcohol burn. Wanted some input for those who know.

• Old Forester 1920
  • Wellers Antique 107
  • Blantons
  • Eagle Rare
  • Wellers 12 year
  • Dickel BIB
  • Dickel white label
  • Noah Mill's
  • Wellers Special Reserve
  • Russell's Reserve 10 year
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Makers Mark
  • Dickel Barrel Select
  • Jim Beam White label
  • Bookers (Grannys batch)
  • Elijah Craig
  • High West (American Bourbon and Rendezvous Rye)
  • Evan Williams BIB
  • Makers Mark Cask Strength
  • IW Harper
  • Four Roses (Small Batch 4 blend)
  • Angel Envy

I still don't understand this concept of a "collection." I buy a bottle, I drink that bottle, then I buy another one
You guys and your restraint;)

Yeah, I really didn't plan on a collection. It started because I typically don't drink during the week and only have a couple drinks per day on the weekend. In essence, my collection is really due to low consumption on my part. I guess I had better do try harder! ;)

I've got bottles that are almost 8 years old in some cases!

Yeah, I really didn't plan on a collection. It started because I typically don't drink during the week and only have a couple drinks per day on the weekend. In essence, my collection is really due to low consumption on my part. I guess I had better do try harder! ;)

I've got bottles that are almost 8 years old in some cases!

That sounds like reverse Darwinism to me. Only the good ones die and the weak survive. :D

I still don't understand this concept of a "collection." I buy a bottle, I drink that bottle, then I buy another one
Haha, I guess I don't or didn't purposely start a collection. I can't even say that I'd really call what I have a collection, but stock pile maybe? I consider a collection to be something that people tend to hang on to and display and don't plan on necessarily finishing.
All my bottles are for drinking, and maybe I just get slow on finishing some of them off.
It's kinda like beer for me in that I just like having a variety on hand. Sometimes I see a good bottle and pick it up or find a good sale. My bottles pretty much rotate in and out. I'll go through periods where I won't buy anything for a few weeks just to finish off some that are close...so I can get more! My bottles go in and out fairly quick. I also trade samples often with friends.

Last edited:
Haha, I guess I don't or didn't purposely start a collection. I can't even say that I'd really call what I have a collection, but stock pile maybe? I consider a collection to be something that people tend to hang on to and display and don't plan on necessarily finishing.
All my bottles are for drinking, and maybe I just get slow on finishing some of them off.
It's kinda like beer for me in that I just like having a variety on hand. Sometimes I see a good bottle and pick it up or find a good sale. My bottles pretty much rotate in and out. I'll go through periods where I won't buy anything for a few weeks just to finish off some that are close...so I can get more! My bottles go in and out fairly quick. I also trade samples often with friends.
I'm with ya TW, I like some variety in whiskey and beer, and I truly don't drink that much whiskey. I also keep an eye for something new, but I will do a little research before pulling the trigger. I have 16-18 bottles on the go at home, so it's not like I am out of toilet paper, right? I will also watch for sales too.

So, I reaches back into my collection, and I finds this beauty! A Speyside Scotch that I purchased in June of 2017, forgot I had it! It could not be better paired than with me robust Coffee Porter
20200823_222436.jpg

Anyone tried to barrel age a store bought whisky? I've been thinking about getting the George Dickel Corn Whisky and purchasing a 1 liter barrel to try it out. Just to see if it takes on a good flavor.

upload_2020-8-27_10-55-10.png

Anyone tried to barrel age a store bought whisky? I've been thinking about getting the George Dickel Corn Whisky and purchasing a 1 liter barrel to try it out. Just to see if it takes on a good flavor.

View attachment 11610
You don't need a barrel - look for some medium toast American oak spirals, cubes or powder, dump it in the bottle and wait for the whiskey to turn brown. Once in a while when I have some beer to dump, I'll take it to a friend and have it distilled. It comes back moonshine, clear with some traces of flavor. Oak spirals are our preferred route from there.

Back