What's your test steeping procedure?

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got sent three 1/4 pound samples from Mainstem Malt, a small craft malting company.

They sent a 'Genie Pale', 'Genie Pilsner', and a 'Hard Red Lt. Munich' which is a wheat malt, i'm guessing it's red wheat malted Munich style.

I think my only plan is to do six 1/2 gallon mashes with each craft malt next to a big boy malt like Rahr and compare. Any tips? Suggestions? Things to look for?

I would say witch have better sugar conversion rahr vs mainstem and flavor profile that is all I could think of

You're saying steeping in the title but then you mention mashing. Don't confuse the two. The malts you listed are base malts and have to be mashed. It's hard to hold mashing temp on a really small batch so you'll have to figure out some way to make that consistent.

I did a mini mash type thing years back where I was testing some home made crystal/roasted malt more for colour but also flavour contribution (roast your own). https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/roast-your-own.3720/page-4#post-28462

My method off the top of my head was heat a large pot (now my sparge pot) to sacriffication temp 65c. add mini mash cracked grain samples in individual jars then like 250ml jars fill with mash water and insert into big pot I fit atleast 6 separate mash's in this way. When your mash is complete take out jars line them up and compare your samples.

Hey I just thought of another maybe easier way but similar and it's how i begin my crystal malt making process is too. Get yourself some ziplock bags and use these as your mini mash containers write the different malt names on before hand- mill grain add to bag at similar water grist ratio- get out kettle heat mash water to temp and drop in your bags for mashing. Heck you could mash a brew whilst conducting exbeeriment. Cheers

Last edited:

Back