What's your next brew

Hopefully this week I'll be able to brew twice. One will be my house Golden ale with rotating hops. This time will be Columbus, Azacca, and Comet. Instead of British yeast, I'll transfer on top of the Kolsch yeast cake currently in the keg. The other brew will be a brown lager; I've got it categorized as an Altbier, but I don't think it will be. Maybe a California common? I'll be using Ca Common lager yeast. The grain bill is 2 row, dark munich, honey malt, chocolate rye, and blackprinz for color. My brews are coming out consistently darker than the calculator predicts, so maybe I'll omit the blackprinz. I just want it to be definitively brown in color, not amber/copper/red. The only hop addition will be FWH so that the malt flavors are more pronounced. We'll see what it turns out like lol

Hopefully this week I'll be able to brew twice. One will be my house Golden ale with rotating hops. This time will be Columbus, Azacca, and Comet. Instead of British yeast, I'll transfer on top of the Kolsch yeast cake currently in the keg. The other brew will be a brown lager; I've got it categorized as an Altbier, but I don't think it will be. Maybe a California common? I'll be using Ca Common lager yeast. The grain bill is 2 row, dark munich, honey malt, chocolate rye, and blackprinz for color. My brews are coming out consistently darker than the calculator predicts, so maybe I'll omit the blackprinz. I just want it to be definitively brown in color, not amber/copper/red. The only hop addition will be FWH so that the malt flavors are more pronounced. We'll see what it turns out like lol
Mine are always darker as well. But I’m usually adding roast for flavor so I dont mind

Gunna brew my blonde ale with Willamette hops left over from the Irish red. Trying no sparge full volume this brew might even cut the boil back to see if I can shave some time of the brew.
Dropped the efficiency back to 75% to account for no sparge.

Last edited:
I would ditch the blackprinz and honey malt and try some Special B malt instead. It will give you the brown you're looking for as well impart some sweet flavors.

I would ditch the blackprinz and honey malt and try some Special B malt instead. It will give you the brown you're looking for as well impart some sweet flavors.
Thanks but it's already been brewed! I did end up omitting the blackprinz and I'm glad I did. The brew came out much darker than the calculator predicted, at least in the kettle.

Thanks but it's already been brewed! I did end up omitting the blackprinz and I'm glad I did. The brew came out much darker than the calculator predicted, at least in the kettle.
I have not been super successful hitting the color post mash either. If it tastes good and it isn't a competition brew, not a big deal.

Back