What's your next brew

It is a sad state of affairs, it has been a month since I posted that my next brew would be my coffee porter, still not sure when I can get to it...
Please keep us posted when you do. That beer is right up my alley and I would love to hear how it progresses. I'm not familiar with Palisade hops at all!

It is a sad state of affairs, it has been a month since I posted that my next brew would be my coffee porter, still not sure when I can get to it...
No rush the weather over there is probably looking more in favour of the lighter styles anyhow.

Just finished Muttbrau #1, going to have to stick with ales for a while - no more room in the fridge, too much stuff lagering. If I could get a chance to pick some spruce tips, I might put them in Muttbrau #2 and see what I get....

Why Muttbrau? It's made from the weird mix of grains the LHBS pulled early on in the Covid shutown when they heard the grains I was ordering a bit incorrectly. Yes, I'm cutting the one with five pounds of Crystal for a 5-gallon beer with grains I have here at home. Muttbrau #1's wort had an interesting flavor, lots of caramel-toffee and an earthy addition from the E. Kent Goldings. It's 60 IBUs, an extra 1.25# sugar to cut the "cloying" sweetness from 2.5# of low-Lovibond crystal.
Tasted this this evening, turned out to be a respectable English IPA. Normally I'm a c60 guy for IPAs but this blend of light crystal, Munich and 2-row worked. The Magnum gave smooth, firm bitterness, the Goldings an earthy hoppiness. And yes, I'm practicing for my BJCP tasting test in July, so I'm practicing writing scoresheets. There's a bit of tannic harshness that should age out with a few days cold crashing.

I'm going to give a Saison a shot this weekend. It will be a Frankenbrewer concoction:rolleyes:

I need to do something with some of the grains I got from Pilothouse.... I have lots of spelt malt, maybe an "ancient grain" Hefeweizen?

Some of everyting in it! Like what we called mixing every pop from the system as kids, a swamp water beer.

Looking to do the yearly barleywine for my son tomorrow. Just need to fiddle with the hops a little, the lhbs only had fuggles

I need to do something with some of the grains I got from Pilothouse.... I have lots of spelt malt, maybe an "ancient grain" Hefeweizen?

I've been enjoying spelt in the last few saisons I've brewed. It's replaced the rye I was using. A little bit more body and a little less earthy.

Please keep us posted when you do. That beer is right up my alley and I would love to hear how it progresses. I'm not familiar with Palisade hops at all!
Just heating strike water now, not the season for this style, but I had the grains measured out a couple weeks ago. I will bottle half of it and forget it until the fall.
@Megary , I have brewed this recipe a number of times, it is a really good beer. I haven't done the cold steeped coffee before though. First batch, I went to Starbucks and spend $12 on espresso's, last number of times I have added fresh ground coffee fire fly to the fermenter.

Just heating strike water now, not the season for this style, but I had the grains measured out a couple weeks ago. I will bottle half of it and forget it until the fall.
@Megary , I have brewed this recipe a number of times, it is a really good beer. I haven't done the cold steeped coffee before though. First batch, I went to Starbucks and spend $12 on espresso's, last number of times I have added fresh ground coffee fire fly to the fermenter.

I always like to keep a stout or porter on tap all summer long for steak nights. They just seem to help each other out. 1 keg should do it;)

Had planned 5 Summer Ales with the same grain bill and yeast, but with different flavor/aroma hops. Did a physical inventory prior to ordering grains and discovered I had a bunch of specialty malts that needed to be used, so the grain bills will be different than I posted earlier in the thread.
That out of the way, just got a notification that I should get my grain order tomorrow, so as soon as the Pale Ale I'm cold crashing is done I'll be having a double brew day. Both Pale Ales. Probably mid week.

#1 Cascade Summer Ale: 87% 2-row Extra Pale, 8.7% White Wheat malt and 4.3% C-60. Two ounces Cascade (4.3%AA) @10 and the same @1, with Warrior @60 to reach 50 IBUs. Mashing @ 150 and fermenting w/Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast Ale. Expect it to weigh in at about 6.3% ABV.

#2 Centennial Summer Ale: 83.3% 2-row Pale, 8.3% Vienna and 8.3% White Wheat malt. 2 ounces of Centennial (7.7$AA) @10 and the same @1, with Warrior @60 to reach 51 IBUs. Mashing @ 150 and fermenting w/Mangrove Jack's M44 Slury. Expect it to weigh in at about 6.5% ABV.

Crisp, fairly hoppy, and enough alcohol to kill the pains associated with living too long :)

Last edited:
Had planned 5 Summer Ales with the same grain bill and yeast, but with different flavor/aroma hops. Did a physical inventory prior to ordering grains and discovered I had a bunch of specialty malts that needed to be used, so the grain bills will be different than I posted earlier in the thread.
That out of the way, just got a notification that I should get my grain order tomorrow, so as soon as the Pale Ale I'm cold crashing is done I'll be having a double brew day. Both Pale Ales. Probably mid week.

#1 Cascade Summer Ale: 87% 2-row Extra Pale, 8.7% White Wheat malt and 4.3% C-60. Two ounces Cascade (4.3%AA) @10 and the same @1, with Warrior @60 to reach 50 IBUs. Mashing @ 150 and fermenting w/Mangrove Jack's M44 US West Coast Ale. Expect it to weigh in at about 6.3% ABV.

#2 Centennial Summer Ale: 83.3% 2-row Pale, 8.3% Vienna and 8.3% White Wheat malt. 2 ounces of Centennial (7.7$AA) @10 and the same @1, with Warrior @60 to reach 51 IBUs. Mashing @ 150 and fermenting w/Mangrove Jack's M44 Slury. Expect it to weigh in at about 6.5% ABV.

Crisp, fairly hoppy, and enough alcohol to kill the pains associated with living too long :)

Those recipes look great. Especially the first because, well, Cascade. :)

It's all semantics of course, but it wasn't that long ago that 50 IBU's and 6+% ABV was an IPA. Today it's a blurred line between a Pale and IPA. Everyone has their own personal boundaries.

Curious... I know you brew a ton of great Pales, but do you brew any IPA's? How do you distinguish between the two?

I'm a slave to C hops too and have a special liking for Cascade and Chinook.

There is a bit of an overlap between the 2 styles, so some room for interpretation for sure. When in that zone, I use the IBU/SG ratio to distinguish between them. Most all of my IPAs are 1.0 or higher with 40% or more of the IBUs coming from a 60 minute addition, depending on the hops I use for bittering. Most get a fairly healthy dry hop addition as well. My house IPA has an IBU/SG ratio of 1.145 and uses Chinook @ 60 for about 45% of the IBUs and a 3 oz. dry hop addition. It's 1.061 OG with 70 IBUs and weighs in at 6.6% ABV.

I generally keep my Pales around .750 to .850, occasionally going as high as .900, again depending on the hops used for bittering. I usually mash Pales around 154F, but like them a bit dryer in the Summer, so drop to 150F. No interest in competitions, so style guidelines aren't gospel to me.

For several years probably 90% of my brews were IPAs, and I still enjoy a good West Coast IPA on occasion. My pallet has changed some and now I prefer Pale Ales most of the time.

Planning to do another batch of hoppy wheat, that one went way too quickly. Might change up the hops a little bit.

Want to order for another batch, but not sure what I want. Would rather not have to be overly fussy with it (no crazy ingredients or lagering) but also don't want another generic hoppy pale beer on tap. That being said, its been some time since I kettle soured...

A hoppy Pale Ale from you is a surprise. Hope you enjoy it.

Hmm A wheat pale ale could be an interesting experience.

Good lineup there Bob! We seem to think alike. I’m working on a pale trifecta with Cascade/Citra/CitraDH, Cascade/Crystal/CitraDH, and Cascade/Crystal/AmarilloDH. Each getting a little more crystal malt. An IPA is in the fermenter now to keep the boss happy. I like my IPAs light with 5% C60 and the pales darker with a little more C60 and a little Munich. When the IPA is done the third pale is next up so then we can do a “tale of three pales” taste test. Cheers!!

Pales, blondes and Cream Ales will be on my diet this Summer. Might sneak in a Session IPA too. Hope you and Lisa are staying safe.

Back