What's your next brew

Taking a break from the IPA’s and going with a straight forward, simple, sessionable Cream Ale.

Now my LHBS is pushing me to do water treatments. I might just give it a try. One quick question on water treatments, well... actually 2 questions:

First Question: would love a suggestion for a nice water profile for a Cream Ale. (2-row, honey and biscuit malt, cluster hops and Wyeast 1056). I plan on starting with distilled water. 9 gallons (5 gallon yield)

Second Question: will the treatments be the same for Mash and Sparge? Was going to make up the entire brewday volume at one time.

TIA

Last edited:
If treating all your brew day water just click the blend water source tick box because your using same liquor for mash and sparge.

I put all my salts and acid in my mash and just acidify sparge water a bit to bring PH down "that astringency thing".

I recon it makes a difference.

I'm going to brew something similar to the Mirror pond I had the other day, first attempt will be this

Deschutes uses British ale yeast in Mirror Pond. I tried to clone it several times before going on a tour at their Bend Brewery, where the tour guide made a point of telling us that Deschutes was a British brewery.

Deschutes uses British ale yeast in Mirror Pond. I tried to clone it several times before going on a tour at their Bend Brewery, where the tour guide made a point of telling us that Deschutes was a British brewery.
Wyeast’s Ringwood (1187) ;)

that's strange they would pick suck a low attenuation for a hoppy style beer, I personally didn't taste any malt just clean hops but recipes can be strange, I've seen one malt one hop beers taste very good

I always found Mirror Pond to be very low on perceived bitterness when compared to most APAs, and to be medium bodied. Probably both due to the moderate attenuation.

perceived bitterness is all related to your water and the Alkalinity, 0 and below will take away bitterness even at 50 IBU, it's very deceiving to most, my 50 IBU beers have no bitterness at all and to me are rather soft because I have negative Alkalinity in every batch

perceived bitterness is all related to your water and the Alkalinity, 0 and below will take away bitterness even at 50 IBU, it's very deceiving to most, my 50 IBU beers have no bitterness at all and to me are rather soft because I have negative Alkalinity in every batch

Maybe I should have said that I perceive the bitterness to be low for the style:oops:

Getting yeast ready to brew a Dunkelweizen this week. First time for me mashing that much wheat in the base (4 lbs wheat, 2 lbs pils, 2 lbs Munich). If I recirculate tight will 8 ounces of rice hulls be enough?

Getting yeast ready to brew a Dunkelweizen this week. First time for me mashing that much wheat in the base (4 lbs wheat, 2 lbs pils, 2 lbs Munich). If I recirculate tight will 8 ounces of rice hulls be enough?
I use 50% wheat a lot with no problem. 10 minutes in stop and restir will keep it from packing down. If it packs after that stir again. Definately throttle down the pump though.

It's getting close to time for the spruce trees to bud out.... Spruce tip pale ale!

Not sure what I want to do, need to clean my garage out and make it easier to brew.

Ok I've not brewed a brown ale before I've brewed porter and stout but no browns so I need your help BF am I on the right course with this? https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/817369/bens-brown I'll be filling the kettle soon so any input let me know.
This is what I've got on hand I'm out of hops all I got is Chinook magnum and German Perle.

Oh I should add I'm fermenting this with Loki and I'm really gunna bring the heat with this brew aiming at 40C what I've got from first ieteration is full bodied fruity so maybe this may be too weird in this style?

Last edited:
I’ve only brewed two different brown ales but have brewed each of them a few times and we love them. They were originally purchased kits from Northern Brewer before I started “cloning” their kits (grain/hop/yeast bills) and making minor adjustments. I made the adjustments as I’m not going to purchase a lb of Carafa III for a recipe that only calls for .06 lbs of it as is the case for one of the two brown ales below.

The links to the two kits below have the Grain/hop bill, mash schedule, and yeast options. So you can look them over to compare and maybe whip up something nice.

Northern Brewer: Golden Road “Get Up Offa That Brown” Ale.

Northern Brewer: “Nut Brown Ale

Ok I've not brewed a brown ale before I've brewed porter and stout but no browns so I need your help BF am I on the right course with this? https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/817369/bens-brown I'll be filling the kettle soon so any input let me know.
This is what I've got on hand I'm out of hops all I got is Chinook magnum and German Perle.

Oh I should add I'm fermenting this with Loki and I'm really gunna bring the heat with this brew aiming at 40C what I've got from first ieteration is full bodied fruity so maybe this may be too weird in this style?
Looks like Brown ale! Could lean a bit more malty balanced with water if ya wanted but balanced will work too.

Haven't decided. I ran the system shakedown brew on my new electric brewery last weekend so have five gallons of Azacca Blonde in the fermentor. I may go ahead and knock out a Helles for this fall's Oktoberfest party, since I have plenty of beer and can lager a Helles for a while.

Just brewed a Sierra Nevada clone but use Kveik yeast.... .mostly because I forgot that I had that yeast on the stir plate!!!! Guess we will see how it turns out :)

Back