What’s for dinner?

No pics of tonite's meal, because I ate it too fast. The missus used one of my chocolate oatmeal stouts in the gravy for her Irish stew kinda thing, sorta like beef tips over mash (fresh taters) with carrots and English peas. I nearly hurt myself before I pushed back. I AM STUFFED! Gotta know you've done good with the home brew when the missus wants some of it to cook with. Acted like she was worried about asking for it because she knows how good it is, or at least how good I think it is. Sure made the gravy rip, though. Dunno if we'll make it past more than two episodes of Holby Blue tonite with the full belly I have.

On our 2016 trip to Ireland, we'd been cold and wet most of the day while we were roaming about Dublin, and we stopped in a pub for dinner on our way back to our B&B. We did B&B accommodations for the whole trip, so most often just ate breakfast where we lodged, took snacks with us for lunch, and had our evening meals in pubs. It was actually not very expensive doing it that way, certainly cheaper than hotels and buying all three meals.

I don't know if it was because we'd been cold and wet all day and were just starved to death or if I'd dare say that stew was the best I'd ever had (including Mama's). We've been trying to replicate it since. We know it had a bit of Guiness in it, and I'm thinking maybe some Vegemite as well. All I know is with that meal and a couple Hop House 13's and I wasn't cold anymore. We were in Ireland for 21 days, and we were wet for 22 of them. I've never seen such a wet/cold place, but I still enjoyed it immensely (except a couple days while the North Atlantic was trying to erase the western shores of Ireland).

This wasn't tonight's dinner, but pretty it's darn close to what we were trying to mimic:

IMG_1230.JPG

Replace the Hop House 13 with one of my Oatmeal Stouts, and it would be VERY close. That bowl was a lot bigger than the picture gives it justice. I had to waddle out of the place that night.

What was for dinner yesterday Sunday Lamb roast.
20220220_171018.jpg

Went well with the pils to wash down the grease.
Oh there's garlic bread under that paper on the rotisserie but had to hide it from Moore Moore Moore my daughter that's what she keeps saying when something yummy is up:p!

What was for dinner yesterday Sunday Lamb roast.View attachment 19493
Went well with the pils to wash down the grease.
Oh there's garlic bread under that paper on the rotisserie but had to hide it from Moore Moore Moore my daughter that's what she keeps saying when something yummy is up:p!

Ben, so your daughter is just like the rest of us then :D

Edit: Especially when it comes to garlic bread!

Last edited:
I've taken some beef out of the freezer and contemplating putting it in the smoker or making rendang, or hachee, or besengkek, or basically any Indonesian stew ;)
It's neck, blade or brisket or so, slow cook beef

I ended up making daging rudjak, while drinking some cranberry/apple cider
Um, what exactly is that? I mean, I see meat in a broth but I am curious what else is in there?
(I suppose I could just Google it, but what fun is that?)

I was lazy, so used a ready made spice paste ;)
Normally I make the paste, by pounding chili, garlic, shrimp paste and galangal together. Fry this, then add the meat, followed by tamarind, sweet soy and kaffir lime leaves

Back