What did you get delivered today

Got this bag of tricks today.
20230312_123843.jpg

Spunding valve and filter screens to attach to floating dip tubes.

Update on YQH1320 hops......IMHO, they did not jump out of the pkg with big aroma. I used a small amount at 90 min, some at 30 min and more in the whirlpool. I'm going to use more in dry hop charge. Since I'm using Philly Sour on this batch, it may not be a good test for the hops.

View attachment 24787
A box of goodies arrived today. Enough to make another batch of Bunyip, an NB kit for a Blue Moon clone and a mini Big Mouth Bubbler with a spigot in case I like the Simple Cider. Won't have to siphon.
Nice haul.
Not tried Omega yeast yet here their priced that little bit more than other liquid strains.
Let us know what you think of that West Coast yeast:)

That Omega yeast is for the Blue Moon clone, I will be using BRY-97 Gain for the Bunyip.
I grabbed a few extra Citra's to make the free shipping.

And some pale spelt malt trying some different grains I see Megary.
So I'm guessing an American Light lager for the corn or another cream ale?
The Spelt I will use this Summer in my once-a-year Saison (the one where I throw cut up lemons into the mash :)). This Spelt has a very high protein content and is great for foam and head retention, and it has a bit more flavor than Wheat Malt, nuttier with a pinch of clove. It's a great malt that I wouldn't hesitate to use in any beer that calls for Wheat.

I have some strange plans for the Pale Corn. I'm going to use this malt in a lager that will pay tribute to Mexican street corn. With a base of Pilsner, I am going to oven-bake the Corn and ferment with a Mexican lager yeast, probably Baja. Then serve with a slice of lime in the glass. How much corn will go into the oven, at what temperature, and for how long has yet to be determined. But I'll be looking for some color and a bit of toast/roast flavors. That beer is about 1-2 months away and I'm sure I'll be posting about it when the time comes.

Do a test run on those filters. Mine clogged and i had to take them out with beer still in the keg.
I have used one of those filters 3 times now in an allrounder, each got varying amounts of dry hops, no issues to date. I have used floating dip tubes in kegs in the past, didn't use filters then.

Do a test run on those filters. Mine clogged and i had to take them out with beer still in the keg.
Good point. My plan was to use them during a closed transfer with hops still floating not necessarily in a keg. That defeats the purpose of the product. Thanks for the heads-up.

Back