What did you get delivered today

I'm back and ready to get to brewing.
20230222_201150.jpg

Well, I kinda delivered it to myself.....

QWRN3329[1].JPG

My old (8 years old) Gateway PC finally bit the bullet night before last. Fortunately, I'd paid the bills, and as usual, that "one more thing to do" in Quicken made the machine stick it's head in the dirt. So I powered down (forcibly), anticipating some delay getting back to what I was doing, but not quite the delay that actually occurred. Poked the power button to turn it back on, NADA. Checked cords, unplugged and reseated all cords, NADA. Checked output from UPS. Good to go. Uh oh. I figure dead power supply or motherboard. It doesn't even grunt when pushing the power button. So pulled the HD's out of it, and running a scan with PC Mover (Laplink) as I type. Gonna take a bit to transfer all the data, settings, and applications, and may not be 100%, but sure gonna be a whole lot quicker than digging out all the CD's and installation media to get it going again. One thing I just found out about this beast, though, no DVD-ROM. Hmmmm, wonder if I can poke one in somehow. Odd for a gaming PC to not have a CD/DVD reader, or at least seems so to me. Some games require having the original disk in the drive. I may be making an image of them and mounting them as needed. Ain't we got fun. This thing's a pretty decent machine, though. Rizen 5-5700, 16GB RAM, NVidia RTX-3060, 500GB SSD and 1TB HD.

Well, I kinda delivered it to myself.....

View attachment 24494

My old (8 years old) Gateway PC finally bit the bullet night before last. Fortunately, I'd paid the bills, and as usual, that "one more thing to do" in Quicken made the machine stick it's head in the dirt. So I powered down (forcibly), anticipating some delay getting back to what I was doing, but not quite the delay that actually occurred. Poked the power button to turn it back on, NADA. Checked cords, unplugged and reseated all cords, NADA. Checked output from UPS. Good to go. Uh oh. I figure dead power supply or motherboard. It doesn't even grunt when pushing the power button. So pulled the HD's out of it, and running a scan with PC Mover (Laplink) as I type. Gonna take a bit to transfer all the data, settings, and applications, and may not be 100%, but sure gonna be a whole lot quicker than digging out all the CD's and installation media to get it going again. One thing I just found out about this beast, though, no DVD-ROM. Hmmmm, wonder if I can poke one in somehow. Odd for a gaming PC to not have a CD/DVD reader, or at least seems so to me. Some games require having the original disk in the drive. I may be making an image of them and mounting them as needed. Ain't we got fun. This thing's a pretty decent machine, though. Rizen 5-5700, 16GB RAM, NVidia RTX-3060, 500GB SSD and 1TB HD.
Nice, have fun with it. PC games have been digitally sold for the last 10 years, they don't even make physical game discs anymore

Nice, have fun with it. PC games have been digitally sold for the last 10 years, they don't even make physical game discs anymore
There's still a few that require the disk, and some old titles I have that I still like to play. Not buying the same game again in digital format if I have it on disk, and some of 'em simply aren't available anymore. This machine will treat some of 'em sorta like killing a housefly with a Buick, but others were taxing my old machine. It just didn't have the guts to get the job done on some of the more graphically enhanced games. Shouldn't be much of a problem to create an image and mount it, assuming I can get the game to look in the right place for it. Might take some reassignment of drive letters, etc.

External dvd drive maybe @RoadRoach ?
Turns out, we had one already. Also picked up a docking station for SATA drives today. In the process of recovering all my data from the ones I took out of the defunct machine right now. I had a SATA/IDE - USB 2.0 converter, but it was never reliable. This one seems to hit the mark, albeit, it's treating one of my drives as something unrecognizable. I'll figger it out.

I'd be real interested in your impressions of that YQH-1320 sir. Think of me when you use it.
Same I see the Alpha Acid is pretty low too not like most of the new world hops where the Alpha can be 15 +

Must be a trial hop?

What are you going to brew with Voss?
Looking at your smowy pics, you might just have to heat it up a tad :)

Back