What did you get delivered today

I use the Classic Design Dry Z Air in my keezer and it does a great job.

I use a Eva-Dry it uses indicating silica gel and when it changes color you plug it in to heat the silica gel. I needed more capacity with the dewpoint as high as it's been, so I just bought unscented silica gel and put it in a mesh bag. To recharge it you just bake it in the oven.

Bittersweet trip to the LHBS today. All I really wanted was a pack of BRY-97, but I came home with 4 yeasts, 20-30 packs of hops, a spare hydrometer, 3 Brew-bags, Flaked Barley, Whirlfloc, Lactic, Yeast nutrient, and a spare racking cane and auto-siphon.

Going out of business sale.

And they didn’t have any BRY-97.

:(

Bittersweet trip to the LHBS today. All I really wanted was a pack of BRY-97, but I came home with 4 yeasts, 20-30 packs of hops, a spare hydrometer, 3 Brew-bags, Flaked Barley, Whirlfloc, Lactic, Yeast nutrient, and a spare racking cane and auto-siphon.

Dangit!
Too bad. Another shop down. I was really bummed when our lhbs recently.

Ah man, that is shitty to hear. Another victim of the online "Borg" sellers. It is especially sad if they were a good supplier to you. It pays, to pay a little (emphasis on little, like say 5-10% ish) more to support your local bricks and morter retailers. Do you have fall back store?

Ah man, that is shitty to hear. Another victim of the online "Borg" sellers. It is especially sad if they were a good supplier to you. It pays, to pay a little (emphasis on little, like say 5-10% ish) more to support your local bricks and morter retailers. Do you have fall back store?
Fall-back for me is MoreBeer. Next closest LHBS is about 45 minutes away. Not the end of the world, but not someplace to go on a whim.

I have nothing against MoreBeer or any e-tailer, but it always just felt right buying from the local guy. I might go back and buy whatever else I can justify before he closes up for good.

Fall-back for me is MoreBeer. Next closest LHBS is about 45 minutes away. Not the end of the world, but not someplace to go on a whim.

I have nothing against MoreBeer or any e-tailer, but it always just felt right buying from the local guy. I might go back and buy whatever else I can justify before he closes up for good.

I stocked up on grains and hops and went heavy when I purchased yeast. I put together lots of recipes also as I was getting 40% off for several weeks. It was really justifiable and helped them out by getting rid of inventory. Towards the end it became more difficult to put recipes together without much in the way of base grains.
I'm sure every market is different, but here, our lhbs figured out fairly quick that he couldn't compete with online equipment pricing so he didn't carry a lot of equipment like brew systems, pots etc. He focused more on ingredients and hoses, basic brew kits, testing stuff, caps and whatnot. Pretty much steered away from the higher dollar stuff.
There is still another shop in Ft Collins, and it's fine. Just nowhere near the experience. I also have a beef with how poorly they've adapted to the times during covid. Their website is an outdated joke. No attempt at all to make it a user friendly online ordering experience, which unfortunately is still the world we are living in right now.

Wow! Talk about fast service. Ordered a Bucket Blaster keg & carboy cleaner and a couple of Top Draws yesterday afternoon and they're already here. It doesn't get any faster than that.
View attachment 11080

View attachment 11081
Thinking about pulling the plug on that washer. You been happy with it so far? Tired of manually washing kegs.

No shiny stuff today, still adapting to and making errors with the RO system. Finally thinking about a stainless steel fermentor, since I'm spending nothing on commuting or eating at work. And getting ready to trade my upright freezer currently function as a fermentation chamber with SWAMBO for the chest freezer. Fridge becomes fermentation chamber, chest freezer is the nucleus of, wait for it, a Keezer!

Stainless fermenters are great, but they don't improve the beer.

That's one of my only real complaints with the keezer...in and out. It's not horrible, but for sure an inconvenience. I'm also looking for some dehumidifying options for my set up.

I bought Damprid (or something like that?) in bulk and it's worked ok. I need to thaw and rinse the keezer before the summer ends but a cheaper more reliable option would be nice.

I believe so. They're still great though.

Thinking about pulling the plug on that washer. You been happy with it so far? Tired of manually washing kegs.

Really pleased with it. It uses much less cleaning solution than the old way. Plenty of room and agitation in the bucket to drop in smaller parts and get them cleaned too. A couple of fittings to adapt it to clean 2 faucets and lines at the same time too.

You can't pour boiling hot water in s bubble pet fermentor.
Or leave them in the trunk (boot, for our English speakers) on a hot day. Just for edification, why pour boiling water into a plastic carboy?

Back to what I picked up a week ago Friday. First it was a little sad saying goodbye to my system as the guy drove away with it, but I am happy with the $2000 he left behind. Humphrey Brewgart approves of the new system! My old BIAB bag fits perfectly. Time to tighten up the gap on the barley crusher! I have been reading about how the valve is very loose when installed, I was still surprised at how loose. My work around is a silicone oring, the size for weldless fittings, worked perfectly.
20200809_154202.jpg
20200809_152928.jpg
20200809_153546.jpg
20200809_153117.jpg

That’s one hell of a setup. All the best with it!

That’s one hell of a setup. All the best with it!
Thank you, the little anvil pump on the cooler is to recirculate the ice water to improve thermal exchange.

Or leave them in the trunk (boot, for our English speakers) on a hot day. Just for edification, why pour boiling water into a plastic carboy?
Sanitation purposes nothing much like 100c water does a great job killing and a great job ridding any left over soap after the percarbonate soak.

Back