What are you drinking right now?

image.jpg
It goes well with what I am brewing.

View attachment 10748 It goes well with what I am brewing.

SNPA will always be the benchmark of Pale Ales. To me, it's like bacon :)

Same as yesterday at this time for me. A pint of my Cascade Summer Ale and a couple shots of Evan Williams. Finally got my Centennial Summer Ale kegged and the fermenter cleaned. Cleaned up the smoker and grill after Saturdays cook, Took out meat for supper tomorrow night, vacuum sealed some of the cooked ribs, picked some tomatoes and planted about 80 beet seeds. Getting really close to nap time.

Coffee's for Closers, Coffee Porter. It has been sitting on 30PSI for a bit better than 24 hours, think I will turn it down to about 8PSI later this evening. I think that this might be the best version yet of this one. I cold steeped fresh ground espresso roast in the fridge overnight. Doesn't exactly suit the current weather, but it sure is damn delicious:D
20200706_172606.jpg

Coffee's for Closers, Coffee Porter. It has been sitting on 30PSI for a bit better than 24 hours, think I will turn it down to about 8PSI later this evening. I think that this might be the best version yet of this one. I cold steeped fresh ground espresso roast in the fridge overnight. Doesn't exactly suit the current weather, but it sure is damn delicious:D
View attachment 10749
IMO, there is never a bad time for a porter...especially a good one!

Looks delish.

Bornem Triple

I picked up a mixed sixer of Van Steenberge for vacation. Well, that’s not *all* I picked up, but I thought one of these a night will help right the ship from all the listing that the various cheap “summer” beers have caused. (Though Sam’s Summer Ale is pretty damn good).

This one was clove and alcohol hot. Pretty decent, but not as good as their Piraat which was outstanding. 4 more to try.

C0DA0A95-4678-41B8-80D8-0633734B2379.jpeg

Bornem Triple

I picked up a mixed sixer of Van Steenberge for vacation. Well, that’s not *all* I picked up, but I thought one of these a night will help right the ship from all the listing that the various cheap “summer” beers have caused. (Though Sam’s Summer Ale is pretty damn good).

This one was clove and alcohol hot. Pretty decent, but not as good as their Piraat which was outstanding. 4 more to try.

View attachment 10751
What an odd shapped beer bottle enjoy you beers Megary.

Gulden Draak Ale

A nice kick in the ass and coming in a bit hot at 10.5%, but balanced nicely by the caramel/toffee from the malt. Like a barleywine without being overly malty. Crisp even. Excellent sipper. Probably should be my goodnight beer, but unfortunately for me it won’t. That’s why I’m writing this stuff down now, so I can remember.

DFFC5D62-AD82-44ED-9959-69024FF518E5.jpeg

Paupack Cream Ale Clone:

Well...yeah, um, not exactly. There is a lot to like here and it’s a good jumping off point for the v.2 that is sure to come. The biggest fault in this beer is the K-97 yeast. I thought a Kolsch style yeast would be perfect for a Cream Ale, and maybe I was right, but not K-97. It wasn’t very cooperative right from the get go as it Krausened through the air-lock 18 hours post-pitch. Attenuated very well (81%) but got all lager-ish on me by throwing sulfur. Time and repeated “purging” of the keg vent has helped considerably, but I still get some sulfur 2-1/2 weeks after kegging. Not a lot at this point mind you. My wife says she doesn’t notice it...or maybe she’s being nice. It also refuses to clear like it should. I probably should break down and use gelatin on these type of beers, just for appearances.

Anyway, the beer is still eminently drinkable. Low bitterness with Bravo, smooth, crisp. Maybe a little bready. Nice foam, decent lacing. Just have to accept the bit of sulfur in the nose. A bit frustrating for coming close, but I’ll try this again soon with a different yeast.

View attachment 10588

Try White Labs 029 German Ale/ Kolsch. Way cleaner and will clear! Your clone looks good!

Last edited:
Paupack Cream Ale “clone”.

Really loving this beer right now. The sulfur issue is pretty much gone. Completely crushable as a Cream should be. I asked my daughter her opinion and she said, “I don’t know dad. It tastes like beer”. I took that as a compliment. :)

View attachment 10664

This looks great! Nice job! Beer flavored beer for the win.

Try White Labs 029 German Ale/ Kolsch. Way cleaner and will clear! Your clone looks good!
Thanks for the tip and the support! This has been a pretty good try at one of my favorite (summer) beers. I will definitely give this another shot. Yours is definitely more crisp, clear and...lager-ish?... if that makes sense. Mine came out a bit too malty but still in the neighborhood.
I hope I can get my hands on some liquid yeast but the Covid thing has put my LHBS in a bind (Hamlin Distributors, I’m sure you know the place). I’m a bit apprehensive of ordering liquid yeast on line in the dead of summer but I just might have to give it a go.
Cheers!

Wasserhund Unleashed Boysenberry Gose

This thing is pretty awesome. A perfect beer for vacation. I picked this up at a little grocery store where it was one of the few interesting choices among the boring usuals. The lady at the checkout told me I was going to love it. She was right.

D6C3A621-AB46-4A12-A125-E29F90BA4053.jpeg

Wasserhund Unleashed Boysenberry Gose

This thing is pretty awesome. A perfect beer for vacation. I picked this up at a little grocery store where it was one of the few interesting choices among the boring usuals. The lady at the checkout told me I was going to love it. She was right.

View attachment 10770
When I saw it in the glass I thought oh wow look at that pretty colour sure looks tasty there Megary keep an eye on that dog though a toey bugger it looks.

Back