What are you doing with homebrew today?

I'm brewing ;)
Mash is done, although I think temp was a bit (too) low. Boiling now.
Fridge is on as it will need to help with cooling of my wort.
Gonna get it down in temperature as much as possible and then move to the fridge for final cooling before transferring to fermenter

Closed transferring my Oatmeal Stout so I can bottle it off the second fermenter. Have thought about just bottling off the fermenter but adding priming sugar to each bottle just seems to add to big of a step. Bottling is the one step the wife helps with which makes the process pretty simple.

View attachment 23107
I just realized that little keezer in the back doesn't look big enough to have 4 active kegs and a glycol chamber in it. Then a closer look showed me the red hoses are for CO2, not cooling. Duuuhhhh.

I milled the grains for tomorrow's brew.
IMG_20221118_103344.jpg

Holding my breath as the Cascade pale ale ferments through the mid 1.020's. I forgot to aerate the wort before pitching because I did it right after I came home late from work. Fingers crossed!
Any luck?

We are back to a couple if days of real hot weather, so I decided (this morning) to make use of it by brewing a weevilly wheat Voss.
Milled grains. Mashing at the moment.
Still working on the recipe though.
Got the mashing time to decide :p

Added some co2 to my fermenter, temp drop mixed with not capping quick enough. I also cleaned the receiving keg and will transfer tomorrow most likely. The beer is sitting at 42 f in the fermzilla so transferring today is a waste of nature and fridge space. I also cleaned the keg which housed my bitter that kicked last night.
Off to Kim’s family thanksgiving, 2 hours south of here. So nothing else homebrew wise for me today

I carefully opened my fermenter (hardly ever do that, but I was curious). Voss weevilly wheat was happily and agressively fermenting less than 3 hours after pitching
(Mangrove jack voss, eyeballled, estimated 1/4 teaspoon for 6-7 litres wort)

Had planned to brew some beer today but we are on day two with no water. Main line ruptured and it is not looking like we will get running water back until Monday. Have plenty of water to brew with, but not enough to sanitize everything and cleanup afterwards.

Trying to cut down on the water used for cooling my wort after the boil so I did manage to get one of my drums setup so I can use my glycol cooler to cool 40 or 50 gallons of water down to around 36 degrees. Will use a pump to move the water though the counterflow chiller.

20221119_174037.jpg

Washed 2-1/2 crates of bottles (60 bottles) to prep for bottling tomorrow. Found another use for my pump. I warmed my leftover PBW solution in the kettle and used the pump to spray it into the bottles to wet them and put them in the wooden crates I made. Then I took them outside to spray them out again with clean water at high pressure. Gave each one a blast of Star-San and turned them upside down in the crates. Clean up from bottle cleaning is pretty easy. Everything is already washed and sanitized. Just a matter of rinsing the PBW out of anything I put it in. Rinsed the pump and pumps with cold water, and put the PBW wash back in the storage bucket. All I gotta do tomorrow is make up my primer and take it out to the shed and I'll do all the bottling out there this time The missus usually helps me bottle, but she may balk if it's cold tomorrow.

OH yeah, I forgot about another thing I did today.

I also resuscitated the burner from an old turkey frier. It's a good bit smaller than the dragon, so may become the star attraction for mashing/boiling. It may also prove to be a bit more efficient on a bottle of propane. I bought a new regulator and orifice and got rid of all the safety stuff for heating oil. This one's never going to do that again.

New orifice I think is sized more for natural gas (much larger hole than propane). Couldn't seem to eliminate luminous (yellow) flame, meaning there may be some soot deposit on the kettle. I'll have to see what I can do about that. It's a more concentrated and smaller flame which should apply more of the heat to the bottom of the pot, and it's a lot farther from the pot which should help avoid scorching. I may do a mash with it before I go too crazy with more new gear, and limp along with it for a while if it's a vast improvement over the dragon during mash. If nothing else, I now have two burners for brewing with a pretty small investment of about $25. I see another $10 or so to be invested on each burner to add piezo igniters. I'm impressed that Lowe's actually had what I got today as well as the piezo igniters. They also have some electronic ones which could be handy for cycling a gas burner. hmmmmmmm.

How in the world does one move 60 gallons (500 lbs) of water? Quad I guess?

I just load up a couple 55 / 60 gallon drums in the pickup and then gravity drain them into empty drums in the basement. We have a spring fed cistern on the mountain top that is constantly running and I run the water through a 4 micron filter when I load it. I have had the water tested twice, almost identical water profiles. Works great for beer making and other things. Unfortunately I Had to sacrifice my beer making water to feed the house since the water main is still broke and we have no running water. At least we have water for basic needs in the house, like flushing the toilets. Will make the drive again tomorrow to load up four barrels just in case we are out of water for an extended period of time. Beer making is on hold until water is back on.

20221119_212213.jpg

Now I'm drinking a beer made by a friend of mine, he just recently started doing this, and here I am testing this beer for taste. At the same time I'm eating sea bass sides that my beloved wife made. I like to combine beer and fish, whether fried or salted. I think these two products were made for each other, what do you think:)
By the way, I completely forgot to tell you. My friends always ask me for the recipe for . So I'm sharing it with you. Since no one I treat with this dish, everyone asks for the recipe. So I thought if you need it, you can use it:) Sea bass goes best with potatoes, salads, grilled veggies, lemon rice, roasted carrots and dill, quinoa, mashed potatoes, and over-baked sweet potato fries.

Back