What are you doing with homebrew today?

Brewing today, brew girl decided to join me

IMG_20210813_181254499~2_copy_1200x2020.jpg

IMG_20210813_132326494_copy_768x1024.jpg

IMG_20210813_132555244_copy_768x1024.jpg

Already bubbling

IMG_20210813_185722957_copy_1200x1600.jpg

Last edited:
Added a 1/2 oz of Cascade dry hops to my pale ale brewed yesterday. Thanks to the Tilt I can see it's ~70% attenuated and my last batch finished around 75%. I probably could've waited until tomorrow morning but we're going out of town tonight and didn't want to miss my window for pushing out any introduced O2. The airlock now smells like citrus and candy :D

Where in Oregon are you headed this time Herm?
Flying into Portland, then driving to Bend for a couple days. Then over to Eugene for the rest. While in Eugene, we might make a drive to the coast. Hopefully it cools down and the smoke isn’t too bad. Either way, the beers will be good.

Flying into Portland, then driving to Bend for a couple days. Then over to Eugene for the rest. While in Eugene, we might make a drive to the coast. Hopefully it cools down and the smoke isn’t too bad. Either way, the beers will be good.
Nice, sounds like a fun trip. Do you know which part of the coast you're heading to? I've got some favorite places I could recommend. Also it's a bit of a drive from Eugene, but Rogue brewing has a hop farm that's open to the public and serves beer and small food plates. It's called Rogue Farms, it's north of Corvallis on Hwy 99W

Bottled Traquair House Style Wee Heavy that I brewed last October and had in secondary since November 1st 2020.
I rehydrated a package of CBC-1 yeast because the last time I brewed this in 2017 I did not and still have flat bottles. So I uncapped them and added 2.5 - 5 ml of the beer from the bottling bucket to each one and recapped. If it had some carbonation I added 2.5 ml and if it had none I added 5 ml. Nothing scientific about the amounts, just a SWAG.

Nice, sounds like a fun trip. Do you know which part of the coast you're heading to? I've got some favorite places I could recommend. Also it's a bit of a drive from Eugene, but Rogue brewing has a hop farm that's open to the public and serves beer and small food plates. It's called Rogue Farms, it's north of Corvallis on Hwy 99W
Flying early Monday morning, out of Orange County (SNA). We have driven a few routes to and from Bend, this time considering south on I5 to Salem, then taking US 22 east and south to US 20 into Bend.
When in Eugene, we were thinking of driving west from Eugene to Florence, then heading up the coast, then taking US 20 east through Corvallis, then back to Eugene.
Any helpful local tips are always appreciated!

Flying early Monday morning, out of Orange County (SNA). We have driven a few routes to and from Bend, this time considering south on I5 to Salem, then taking US 22 east and south to US 20 into Bend.
When in Eugene, we were thinking of driving west from Eugene to Florence, then heading up the coast, then taking US 20 east through Corvallis, then back to Eugene.
Any helpful local tips are always appreciated!
The drive from Eugene to Florence is gorgeous. I really want to go camping out there along the river. When you're in Florence I would recommend checking out the sand dunes (there's a lot of people with off roading vehicles out there, but it's fun to walk up and ride a cheap sled down the sand a few times) and the Sea Lion Caves (one of the world's largest naturally occurring sea caves that the sea lions haul out in. You can see hundreds of them in there during the right time of year).

Along the route north to Newport is Cape Perpetua. If it's high tide, check out the waves at the Devil's Churn bowl. If it's low tide, you can climb down and explore the tide pools. It might be too late/early for whale watching, but you can drive up to the Stone House which is one of the highest vista points along the coast. Great views even if you don't see any whales.

Newport has all kinds of great stuff to do depending on how long you're staying, but lunch at the Rogue Brewery is good, or the Chowder Bowl is a nice local place close to easy (and free) beach access.

Rogue also has that hop farm north of Corvallis in Independence that I mentioned earlier. It'd be out of your way if you're heading south back to Eugene.

It sounds like a fun trip Herm! I'm trying not to throw too many suggestions at you but it's hard cuz you're going to my old stomping grounds :D

Last edited:
The drive from Eugene to Florence is gorgeous. I really want to go camping out there along the river. When you're in Florence I would recommend checking out the sand dunes (there's a lot of people with off roading vehicles out there, but it's fun to walk up and ride a cheap sled down the sand a few times) and the Sea Lion Caves (one of the world's largest naturally occurring sea caves that the sea lions haul out in. You can see hundreds of them in there during the right time of year).

Along the route north to Newport is Cape Perpetua. If it's high tide, check out the waves at the Devil's Churn bowl. If it's low tide, you can climb down and explore the tide pools. It might be too late/early for whale watching, but you can drive up to the Stone House which is one of the highest vista points along the coast. Great views even if you don't see any whales.

Newport has all kinds of great stuff to do depending on how long you're staying, but lunch at the Rogue Brewery is good, or the Chowder Bowl is a nice local place close to easy (and free) beach access.

Rogue also has that hop farm north of Corvallis in Independence that I mentioned earlier. It'd be out of your way if you're heading south back to Eugene.

It sounds like a fun trip Herm! I'm trying not to throw too many suggestions at you but it's hard cuz you're going to my old stomping grounds :D
Thanks for sharing your local knowledge - always appreciated!

Cleaned and sanitized a keg for the next fermentation. I’ll sanitize again but still hit it with iodophor.

Today I'm marveling at modern homebrewing technology. This tilt hydrometer is going to be a complete game changer for my fermentations. Unless it drops any more points, I'll be packaging on Friday :)
Screenshot_20210818-175823_Chrome.jpg

Back