What are you doing with homebrew today?

How much do you pitch?
Mine is a severe underpitch.
Not too sure how quick the fermentation started as I didn't keep an eye on it.
And fermentation was severely reduced within 22 hours.
It's such a strange yeast :p
I pitched an 11 gram packet of Lallemand dry into 20ish liters, I tucked it in between the fermenter and the strap to warm it up to the wort temperature (33C) first.
upload_2023-3-14_9-19-17.png

Last time I pitched VOSS into 33C wort the yeast was at room temp (19C), it took quite a bit longer to become active that time.
Still had a nice clean fermentation though, so no ill effects.

The VOSS mentioned above was starting to drop out last night so I unplugged the heat matt to let the temperature start dropping from 33C.
It was at 28C this morning so I changed the inkbird to bring it down to 20C. Will change it to 10C this evening, and then drop it to 1C tomorrow morning. Should have thi in the keg and serving by Saturday.
Best hobby ever!!!!!!

Alright so I added gelatin. I couldn’t get the syringe to squirt into the keg so I popped the lid and poured in. Oh well. We’ll see. So pics not warranted.

I've recently started adding gelatin this way and it seems to work just fine. I usually don't have a lot of headspace and give the keg a little CO2 purge after doing it though. The syringe idea sounds interesting... might have to give that a whirl sometime.

PS: The "forgot physics" comment had me laughing out loud :D

I'm pretty sure my Dry Irish Stout has finished fermentation, but I'll wait until tomorrow morning to cold crash because I'm very good at being patient when brewing beer :rolleyes:

The Bunyip pale kicked so I need to think about my next batch. Could be another Bunyip with different hops or my single hop golden ale. I've entered the Kolsch Cup again this year, so I need to start thinking ahead to brewing and conditioning that batch. Decisions decisions! :D

I'm pretty sure my Dry Irish Stout has finished fermentation, but I'll wait until tomorrow morning to cold crash because I'm very good at being patient when brewing beer :rolleyes:

The Bunyip pale kicked so I need to think about my next batch. Could be another Bunyip with different hops or my single hop golden ale. I've entered the Kolsch Cup again this year, so I need to start thinking ahead to brewing and conditioning that batch. Decisions decisions! :D
Gee that bunyip went quick!

I've recently started adding gelatin this way and it seems to work just fine. I usually don't have a lot of headspace and give the keg a little CO2 purge after doing it though. The syringe idea sounds interesting... might have to give that a whirl sometime.

PS: The "forgot physics" comment had me laughing out loud :D
I will be adding gelatin Thursday, will take a few pictures.

Curious…why the lactose if you are going for a “dry” stout?
Trying to get a little "creaminess" without Nitro. Just taking a blind swag at it if I'm honest...If I'm going to have 2 black beers, they need to be very noticably different. I know it's a little off the wall, just curious how it will turn out.

Besides "not to stile" is the number one coment I get if I send beer into comps anyway.

Trying to get a little "creaminess" without Nitro. Just taking a blind swag at it if I'm honest...If I'm going to have 2 black beers, they need to be very noticably different. I know it's a little off the wall, just curious how it will turn out.

Besides "not to stile" is the number one coment I get if I send beer into comps anyway.
Breakfast Stout, milk Stout... could it have both sweet (or smooth/rich), and dry characteristics?

Should I or shouldn't I.....
Move kegs to the fridge?

Keg 1 has kölsch and been carbing naturally with sugar since 3 March at about 21 oC
Keg 2 has cider with spunding valve now at 12 psi since 9 March
(Initially open keg for 2 days, then spunding valve set at below 5 psi for 4 days and then upped to 12-13 psi)

Very tempted to move so I can get them cold and try over the weekend

Should I or shouldn't I.....
Move kegs to the fridge?

Keg 1 has kölsch and been carbing naturally with sugar since 3 March at about 21 oC
Keg 2 has cider with spunding valve now at 12 psi since 9 March
(Initially open keg for 2 days, then spunding valve set at below 5 psi for 4 days and then upped to 12-13 psi)

Very tempted to move so I can get them cold and try over the weekend
Maybe move the kolsch only thing is kolsch yeast is a bit=ch to drop outta suspension but it's been in the keg the longest.o_O

Your call can you get a sample?

Then make the choice on flavour clarity ect

I could get a sample but it obviously won't be cold and not really representative of CO2.
I really want to know how what I did comes out as final product

The cider is simple sugars so should be done quite quick and is no worry if some sweetness remains

Kolsch can continu to flocculate in the fridge.
To be honest, I had some kolsch in bottles but I was impatient and drank it after 3 or 4 days conditioning. Cloudy, carbonation was fine, no head but tasted good . Unfortuntely that carbonation has no bearing on what happened in the keg

Ah, I'll think about it a little longer

Re-arranged my shelving and storage. So now I have a space to condition a 1 or 2 gal keg (maybe a pair of each with a little more jiggling around) for however long is needed. Beats having to put them under the dining table in the living room for up to a fortnight - probably too warm in winter with the central heating on then fluctuating with it switched off at night. Flood damage was bad enough but even somebody colour blind like me can appreciate that leaked dark beer on a pale blue carpet isn't going to be a pleasant scheme to look at every day and be reminded of more bad decision making into the bargain.

I noticed quite a bit of liquid on the floor of my chest fridge. Must have come from the picnic tap.
Cleaned it up and going to look for a box with closed sides & bottom to put the kegs in (instead of the open sided one I am using know).
And make something to rest the picnic tap in, to collect drips.
All temporary solutions till I construct something more permanent ;)

And I did it :)
Moved both kegs to my 12 volt fridge. It will take a while to get them cold, but that's fine.

I went through the timings of my previous brews with BRY 97, and I figured I would be fine.
Cider is no problem is some sweetness remains. I kept the spunding valve on the cider. It was on 14 psi (at 21 oC) when I moved it (that should be 1.6 volume CO2)
It should drop to about 3.5 if I understand this all correct :) We'll wait and observe.

Once that's done I want to move the spunding valve to the beer. Also just to observe

but even somebody colour blind like me can appreciate that leaked dark beer on a pale blue carpet isn't going to be a pleasant scheme to look at every day and be reminded of more bad decision making into the bargain.
You can hide the stain by placing a table over it....

You can hide the stain by placing a table over it....
Not this area, right in the corner and can be seen under the table from the rest of the room. I know this because I was monitoring the flood damage for the first few weeks.

Back