What are you doing with homebrew today?

I am guessing it is the cold crash that solves everything, along with the floating dip tube. Another question = when do you put on the spunding valve and at what pressure? @Craigerrr
I have a floating dip tube in an allrounder fermenter. So far I have put the spunding valve on right after pitching, and have it set at about 12 PSI

Met a avid hombrewer today on my run out and about.

Thus dude has some major HB credit check this out!View attachment 24438
A beer engine at his home sooooo cool.
View attachment 24444
Bit of a story to that it come from a pub in England wostershire not 100% sure on spelling.
Well this couple took it as a memento of their meeting their so to speak.
Now he died a few years ago so old mate here Jared bought it and is now serving his first ESB on it.

Dam Coeliac I couldn't taste any of it:oops:

His 3 v system 2 Gutens and a keg foe boil kettle View attachment 24439
And this is one dedicated dude on the fermentation serving side oh boy I thought i had too many freezers well he loves his fridges and check that big arse keezer out
View attachment 24440
Love it!
That's quite a home set up for sure!

View attachment 24444
Bit of a story to that it come from a pub in England wostershire not 100% sure on spelling.
Now he died a few years ago so old mate here Jared bought it and is now serving his first ESB on it.

And this is one dedicated dude on the fermentation serving side oh boy I thought i had too many freezers well he loves his fridges and check that big arse keezer out
View attachment 24440
Love it!
You need to visit that bloke more often. Too bad he doesn't brew GF.

Pondering my brew and next steps.
Beer is done and I was waiting for my new spunding valve gauge.
But it is delayed.
Now I want to run my new plan past you.
I remove the 15 psi gauge from the valve.
Connect to CO2 cylinder and set somewhere 1.6 - 1.8 bar (23 to 26 psi).
Then put 3-4 gr per litre sugar in my 8 litre oxebar keg and transfer the beer from fermenter to tap. Attach spunding valve and put keg in the fridge at 19-20 oC (66-68 F) and let her carbonate for a couple of days to a week.
Then move to fridge fridge (it's a real fridge. So a fridge fridge instead of a fermentation fridge :) )
And start serving when cold.

I just wanna try and I'm too late for "normal" spunding.
Beer has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks now

But it is delayed.
Then put 3-4 gr per litre sugar in my 8 litre oxebar keg and transfer the beer from fermenter to tap. Attach spunding valve and put keg in the fridge at 19-20 oC (66-68 F) and let her carbonate for a couple of days to a week.
Then move to fridge fridge (it's a real fridge. So a fridge fridge instead of a fermentation fridge :) )

It sounds like it'd work a tiny bit convoluted but you'll get better at timing the fermentations :)

But it is delayed.

Why add sugar?

Why add sugar?
Because I want to carbonate naturally and I'm past the point of "normal" spunding.
So there should be enough yeast but not enough sugar.
I don't want to force carbonate this batch for several reasons.

Because I want to carbonate naturally and I'm past the point of "normal" spunding.
So there should be enough yeast but not enough sugar.
I don't want to force carbonate this batch for several reasons.
Ok, so putting it on gas then is only for pushing?

Yes, thats the plan.

So my cider keg was finished and since I'm in a playfull mood, I decided to play with that one as well.
Added 5 liter apple juice and put a stop plus blow off tube.
So now to fit this in my fermentation fridge, the speidel fermenter needs to go.
Syphoned the beer into the keg via the spigot on top of 30 gr sugar and put it in the fridge. I haven't put a spunding valve jet.
Now despite measuring: the keg with blow off tube does not fit. After several attempts, I just put the lid on loose. Maybe the spunding valve needs to go onto the cider instead, after a couple of days. I'll add some extra apple juice just before and maybe dry hop.
Undecided yet.
I now smell of both beer and apple juice. Not everything went smooth.

I also set up a 2nd picnic tap. I hope my line is still long enough

IMG_20230303_154254550.jpg

Interesting looking keg.

Gathering together some new bits and bobs to make the next brew go smoother, going to dose the black IPA that is cold crashing with gelatin later. Also working on the recipe for my next partial mash brew, going to cut back on the DME and bump up the base malt

View attachment 24444

View attachment 24440
Love it!
Oh man a beer engine! It’s a bucket list thing for me. I figured in retirement I’ll make 3.5% British ale and drink off of one of these babies. That’s down the road obviously.

brewing an Irish Ale right now. Mash almost finished

Oh man a beer engine! It’s a bucket list thing for me. I figured in retirement I’ll make 3.5% British ale and drink off of one of these babies. That’s down the road obviously.

brewing an Irish Ale right now. Mash almost finished
I wish this for you Josh, I believe that you would appreciate it the most!

Back