What are you doing with homebrew today?

The VOSS that I pitched Saturday around noon is slowing down now, will take a sample tomorrow evening to see where it is at. Added DH1 Saturday evening, DH2 this morning. Will add DH3 when cold crashing.
20230226_153228.jpg

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.

1A4217E8-9D33-4CBB-B90F-29C430045EB1.jpeg
Curious if anyone has used old Coca-Cola pin lock kegs like these. Apparently there’s no pressure relief valve. Any thoughts on how to avoid over-pressurizing these?

View attachment 24405 Curious if anyone has used old Coca-Cola pin lock kegs like these. Apparently there’s no pressure relief valve. Any thoughts on how to avoid over-pressurizing these?
You don't need a relief valve as your regulator should relieve pressure to the set point. If you are referring to either fermenting in a keg, or carbonating in the keg with priming sugar a spunding valve will do the trick. Like the kegland version I am using above on my all rounder. I believe that these kegs are rated for 125PSI.

View attachment 24405 Curious if anyone has used old Coca-Cola pin lock kegs like these. Apparently there’s no pressure relief valve. Any thoughts on how to avoid over-pressurizing these?
A definite disadvantage of pin lock.
Very rarely do I ever use the prv except when the kegs kicked ect.
A gas post disconnect would sort it or screwdriver...

Did you DH under pressure?
I did! When I went to relieve the pressure this morning to add the second edition, the krausen started to go berserk! I let pressure build back up, the krausen fell back down again, then I relieved the pressure slowly. I was sure to button it back up quick in case it wanted to erupt on me!

You don't need a relief valve as your regulator should relieve pressure to the set point. If you are referring to either fermenting in a keg, or carbonating in the keg with priming sugar a spunding valve will do the trick. Like the kegland version I am using above on my all rounder. I believe that these kegs are rated for 125PSI.
Makes sense, I am just used to being able to burp it for transfers, purging and closed loop stuff. I might ferment in them, and have a spunding valve.

Another possibility is a new lid with a prv in it

The VOSS that I pitched Saturday around noon is slowing down now, will take a sample tomorrow evening to see where it is at. Added DH1 Saturday evening, DH2 this morning. Will add DH3 when cold crashing.
View attachment 24404
Do you have some sort of screen/filter in there for when you transfer?

Do you have some sort of screen/filter in there for when you transfer?
I have the same question! So many hops, how do you avoid clogging every tube and connection? I will try a NEIPA again soon, but will use hop bags which I know won't infuse as well. Haven't figured the right steps yet to get the flavor and yet not have an utter mess.

I have the same question! So many hops, how do you avoid clogging every tube and connection? I will try a NEIPA again soon, but will use hop bags which I know won't infuse as well. Haven't figured the right steps yet to get the flavor and yet not have an utter mess.
I am guessing it is the cold crash that solves everything, along with the floating dip tube. Another question = when do you put on the spunding valve and at what pressure? @Craigerrr

Mini-Kegged and bottled 3.5 gallons of sweet cider four days ago, final day of maturation tomorrow. Photos were all over exposed. The reserve gallon is still visibly fermenting although the gravity seems to have stopped at 1.004 three days ago - similar thing happened last time but not in a rush with it.

Then brought this 2 Gallon keg of Strong Bitter out of storage to open up in around 48 hours and keep me company until St. Patrick's Day:

MyDSC2S1-043.jpg

Three months old, ABV 4.5%. Odd positioned tap as it was more stubborn to adjust than usual for this model. It pours okay and hasn't swelled up at the base or leaked like a few of the others. I have learned that sometimes it is best just to leave things as they are.

Met a avid hombrewer today on my run out and about.

Thus dude has some major HB credit check this out!
20230302_141525.jpg

A beer engine at his home sooooo cool.
20230302_141536.jpg

Bit of a story to that it come from a pub in England wostershire not 100% sure on spelling.
Well this couple took it as a memento of their meeting their so to speak.
Now he died a few years ago so old mate here Jared bought it and is now serving his first ESB on it.

Dam Coeliac I couldn't taste any of it:oops:

His 3 v system 2 Gutens and a keg foe boil kettle
20230302_143544.jpg

And this is one dedicated dude on the fermentation serving side oh boy I thought i had too many freezers well he loves his fridges and check that big arse keezer out
20230302_143549.jpg

Love it!

Last edited:

Back