What are you doing with homebrew today?

Just monitoring fermentations, bottle conditioning, and considering creation of a recipe for a Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA).
My Smooth Stout is another day closer to bottling, while my fresh batch of cider is really starting to push bubbles through the airlock. It is a weird situation to go from a house that had a nearly constant 68F temperature interior closet, to a home that is so much cooler, where we are wearing wool socks and hats, along with multiple layers INSIDE the house.

Just monitoring fermentations, bottle conditioning, and considering creation of a recipe for a Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA).
My Smooth Stout is another day closer to bottling, while my fresh batch of cider is really starting to push bubbles through the airlock. It is a weird situation to go from a house that had a nearly constant 68F temperature interior closet, to a home that is so much cooler, where we are wearing wool socks and hats, along with multiple layers INSIDE the house.
Adding heat to a fermenter is tactically easier than removing heat.

Ask at that brewery, maybe they'll share some tips for a CDA? Likely have to go during the day to find the actual brewer.

Herm, at this time next year you will be wearing shorts and a t-shirt and scoffing at those wimps in Southern California who bundle up when the temps drop below 70°F! :p

Diacetyl rest and getting the last few points
50B37A3F-FD97-4E8A-9D6D-7F0A7EA03475.png

Herm, at this time next year you will be wearing shorts and a t-shirt and scoffing at those wimps in Southern California who bundle up when the temps drop below 70°F! :p

I'll ask you about your opinion of "Wintery Mix" in about 6 months Herms.

I had a black IPA at a party about a year ago and really liked it and there was something about the visual of the pitch black with the brilliant white head.

With my wife, I walked to the Friendly Garden in cold rain. I need a new rain jacket. Good DIPA warmed me, as did the brisk walk home with groceries. We made butternut squash stew, and it was delicious.
I checked ambient temp in that closet, where it was 56F - kinda chilly. So I moved my case of Janet’s Brown into the kitchen fireplace where it’s a little bit warmer.

I'm going to move a couple voss brew to the fridge to check carbonation.
Definitely the half full bottle with enough priming sugar for a full bottle. And since that what won't give a good indication, I'll move a full one as well

Definitely the half full bottle with enough priming sugar for a full bottle. And since that what won't give a good indication, I'll move a full one as well
Just keep checking to make sure:eek:

Yup def need more than one for a carb check:p

This morning :eek: Didn’t expect it to get to 1.010 or I’d waited to move inside another day. Obviously heat got it there quicker. I went down to 1.013 in lager temps so I’m sure low to mid 60s for the last three it should be fine. I know some ferment this yeast at 66F.

With my wife, I walked to the Friendly Garden in cold rain. I need a new rain jacket. Good DIPA warmed me, as did the brisk walk home with groceries. We made butternut squash stew, and it was delicious.
I checked ambient temp in that closet, where it was 56F - kinda chilly. So I moved my case of Janet’s Brown into the kitchen fireplace where it’s a little bit warmer.
A good rain jacket is clutch. Goretex is your friend

56 is bad enough when it is OUTSIDE Lol. We call your inside temp winter:)

Just keep checking to make sure:eek:
I tried one bottle.
It was actually 3/4 full.
Yes, I tried too early, normally I think minimum fridge time is 2-3 days.
But it got potential. Seems like it is going to be a very nice easy drinking beer
NowI need to go back to my notes to see what I did.
It's light, fruity, not much of a voss-tang

A good rain jacket is clutch. Goretex is your friend
My 20+ year old REI Goretex jacket showed its age last night. The dwr coating was gone, and the Goretex showed many spots where moisture was coming through. It will still make a good windbreaker, and be useful for taking out the trash or other around the house duties. For more active pursuits, it’s time for a new rain jacket.

56 is bad enough when it is OUTSIDE Lol. We call your inside temp winter:)
Just proving that coming from Southern California didn’t make my wife and me “soft” when it comes to weather. Woke up to a dusting of accumulated snow this morning.
image.jpg

It’s going to be fun learning about what beers I can make, given the environmental conditions of our new home.

Just proving that coming from Southern California didn’t make my wife and me “soft” when it comes to weather. Woke up to a dusting of accumulated snow this morning.View attachment 23283
It’s going to be fun learning about what beers I can make, given the environmental conditions of our new home.
Instead of a CDA you should try a Baltic Porter! It's a big, boozy, dark lager. The yeast would love your 56F closet

I agree with the lager. The timing and my refrigerator being in the garage got me thinking about a lager in January too. It can freeze in January once in a while, and it would be nice not to need a hairdryer in the garage for fermenting beer. If I didn't have my heart set on a Pre Pro, I might look at a Schwarzbier.
I walked outside to a chilly 62 this morning LOL.

Back