What are you doing with homebrew today?

I read that S33 doesn't have much "Belgian" ale flavor, so if that's what you want to highlight it may not be as good for you

454AC012-6D46-4173-864A-1A4E873CD94D.jpeg

Finished weeding and mulching the high section of the glorious Shweddy Bohunk hops yard. This weekend I’ll mow till and start planting the 2021 expansion starting with the neglected top row and extending the lower rows another 14 feet.

Woke up this morning and the krausen on my Mannequin Pees had dropped like a rock. I bumped the temp to 73F to try and get this yeast to do as much work as possible before quitting. I haven't done a gravity check yet. Average attenuation for S33 is 70%, and that's what I'm hoping for :)

Letting the dunkel warm a little. Gravity didn’t move much today according to the tilt. I pitched a good amount of yeast Slurry and it took off faster than any other lager I’ve brewed. Brewed Saturday, by day 5 or 6 I’m usually letting it get up in the low 60s. So just a little earlier than usual.

Bottled my California Common. Was only slightly over the average attenuation and the sample didn't taste like straight alcohol so I I'm even more confident that my previous dryness issue was low mash temp related and that I hopefully finally have it solved. Only took till my 6th BIAB batch to like actually figure out the basics of this whole mash thing:D:D:D

Changing my setup and having to dial in new equipment part way through that process probably didn't help. I think my next major step forward is to learn about water chemistry but that means I actually need to get off my but and contact someone about getting a water profile.

The sample of the CC tasted ok but being the first really even slightly hop forward style I've done I'm worried I didn't get enough flavor or aroma. The IBUs are definitely there just not picking up on the rest of it. I'm not sure if I need to add more hops, or push the flavor addition back (I did 15 minutes I'm thinking I should have gone 10). I'm also wondering if I should have dry hopped it? Know it's not supposed to be pale ale levels but I expected just a bit more hops. To be fair though it's been years since I had a steam beer so what do I know?

Took a little walk and checked on some feral hops I marked last fall. Going to dig 2 crowns and transplant...uh somewhere(still working on that, keeping them separate from my known varieties),
I read that as feral hogs, and was simultaneously impressed and confused :confused:

Back