West Coast IPA

I was going to mention that.... A few of your changes conflict with each other, for example, more hoppy and more ABV (if added as more malt and not adjuncts) cancel each other in terms of sensory perception. Consider fewer changes at a time, for example, more sulfate will make your beer seem drier and more hoppy. Just a suggestion....

I am not adding more malt. That is one thing that is not changing. Hoping to get more ABV from increased attenuation hence a modified mash schedule. I would like a FG closer to 1.012 as opposed to 1.014. That should help with more perceived bitterness.

Last edited:
I find that Nottingham and the other English yeasts I've tried give you a lovely smoothness, but the hop bitterness and flavour/aroma are dulled slightly. Not that you can't get large bitterness/flavour/aroma, just that you may need to adjust the hopping rate up a little. And as Nosy says it may be one to change once you've got the grist/hop changes settled (though I'm not very good at that change one thing at a time rule myself).

I find that Nottingham and the other English yeasts I've tried give you a lovely smoothness, but the hop bitterness and flavour/aroma are dulled slightly. Not that you can't get large bitterness/flavour/aroma, just that you may need to adjust the hopping rate up a little. And as Nosy says it may be one to change once you've got the grist/hop changes settled (though I'm not very good at that change one thing at a time rule myself).

Any other dry yeast suggestions you might have for this beer? US05 was my go to for quite some time but I don't use it much anymore. It does seem to behave a bit slower and more unpredictable than I remember.

*Did not conduct a whirlpool so that is a non factor for bitterness.
Right...I just glanced at the recipe and I guess I thought I noticed a whirlpool but they're all dry hop additions. Since you've got a BU/GU of around 1, the bitterness is just not jumping out. You may find that a simple gypsum addition will boost the perception of bitterness even without making any other changes.

Right...I just glanced at the recipe and I guess I thought I noticed a whirlpool but they're all dry hop additions. Since you've got a BU/GU of around 1, the bitterness is just not jumping out. You may find that a simple gypsum addition will boost the perception of bitterness even without making any other changes.

Right. I used water with about 165 ppm SO4 and a 3:1 SO4 to Cl ratio. I suppose I could bump it up.

Any other dry yeast suggestions you might have for this beer? US05 was my go to for quite some time but I don't use it much anymore. It does seem to behave a bit slower and more unpredictable than I remember.
Not dry. Nottingham is good, just may need to hop a little more if your looking for big hop flavours. I've tried the Wyeast 1318 and it's worked well, but that's liquid.

Br-97 is about the same as Nottingham, its very clean and predictable but strips some flavor in the process, I used it for years

Well further tasting has yielded different results. All of my beers were starting to taste a bit strange so I cleaned the keg lines. This beer is kickass. It does still need more bitterness. My planned changes are more IBUs from the bittering charge, swapping the comet dry hops with citra and manipulation for more attenuation to boost the ABV and dry it out a bit.

Thank you for sharing the temperature scheme. Recently i have been facing issues in the temperature of pepperonis they all got wasted.

Thank you for sharing the temperature scheme. Recently i have been facing issues in the temperature of pepperonis they all got wasted.

You’re welcome. I too have had issues with the pepperonis.

Back