Weird figures with the new efficiency calculation method

I guess I'm not sure if the above post is directed at me or ? I do know if I change my target to kettle it changes. But, I've always set target to fermenter. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but that's what I've always had target set to and that's what I'd like to continue to use. I thought we did a roll back. IMO the roll back hasn't happened properly.
Right, it didn't roll all the way back. And the only way to get it to come up without post-boil is to set your target to kettle, either in the recipe or in your general settings.
Nothing that you did before works now. That's the lesson I've learned from using the editor lately. As I mentioned in another post, I've got my own spreadsheet now that allows me to fully build a recipe with proper volumes and ingredients for the OG and IBUs I want and then use the editor based on jiggering the volumes to match what I know works already. My hope is that at least the water addition calculator works, but I haven't tried it out yet. ;)

The work-around is quite simple, just put the same number in post boil as in the batch size. I just add a quart to post boil to make up for trub, shrinkage and other miscellaneous losses. Still annoying since I already had those losses accounted for in my profile.

Agreed. The work around is simple. It'll just be nice to be done with work arounds.

Reactions: J A
Honestly, it's looking less and less likely that we can count on that. :oops:
True, I'm a lifer but I do value my time more highly than my money so looking elsewhere will be in the cards if the "improvements" keep wasting my time either modifying working recipes or learning new "work arounds."

I understand that changes create confusion, and I apologize for that. We did 100% revert back to the 'old' way. It is calculated just as before, based on brewhouse efficiency. You can put the post-boil there, as it's just for information for yourself and it doesn't figure into the calculations at all. Your brewhouse efficiency, just as before, is what determines the OG based on your preboil and fermenter volume when you are using "fermenter" as the target. That has not changed.

It's not just that changes are confusing. If something is changed in such a way that there's a real improvement and it works as it's intended without blowing up the rest of the system then changes can make the process immediately easier and better. There have been so many bugs and glitches associated with all the changes that have been introduced that it's compromised the functionality time and again.

Back