Water Calc Work Around for Hop Water?

Mont Y. Märzen

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get into making Hop Water and have found recommendations to target 3.2–3.6 pH before the hop addition(s). I tried playing with the Advanced Water Calc, but it seems the formulas require a malt bill.

I managed to test Beer Color for Grist Info, choosing 0.1 oz and 0 SRM, but that results in an insanely low starting pH compared to my source water. (2.x vs. 7.0 for distilled, or even 8.4 pH from my tap) If I increase the grain amount but leave the SRM at 0, the pH goes up! (I've played with slightly higher SRM but the effect is marginally the same)

I'd like to target a profile (a custom NEIPA profile in this case) enter my salts, and have the calc tell me how much acid I need. (I'm using Phosphoric-85%, but have 10% Lactic on hand too)

I haven't even attempted the Recipe Builder yet, though I'm sure I may find more issues there. I'd at least like to get the Water Calc right first.

I'm looking to get into making Hop Water and have found recommendations to target 3.2–3.6 pH before the hop addition(s). I tried playing with the Advanced Water Calc, but it seems the formulas require a malt bill.

I managed to test Beer Color for Grist Info, choosing 0.1 oz and 0 SRM, but that results in an insanely low starting pH compared to my source water. (2.x vs. 7.0 for distilled, or even 8.4 pH from my tap) If I increase the grain amount but leave the SRM at 0, the pH goes up! (I've played with slightly higher SRM but the effect is marginally the same)

I'd like to target a profile (a custom NEIPA profile in this case) enter my salts, and have the calc tell me how much acid I need. (I'm using Phosphoric-85%, but have 10% Lactic on hand too)

I haven't even attempted the Recipe Builder yet, though I'm sure I may find more issues there. I'd at least like to get the Water Calc right first.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll put in a ticket for this as many people are now making hop water and seltzers. I even keep water on tap, and had to use a spreadsheet to come up with the desired water profile instead of our own water calc.

Awesome, thanks!

I don't want a workaround, but one of the things I think could work for now is using the water as 'sparge water' and acidifying that sparge water to a certain pH. Does that make sense? The trick is that with RO water (which I use) the pH changes as it's exposed to the atmosphere since there is no alkalinity and so no buffering power. And carbonation of course adds acidity to the finished water. This could be a difficult project, but I hope not!

I don't want a workaround, but one of the things I think could work for now is using the water as 'sparge water' and acidifying that sparge water to a certain pH. Does that make sense? The trick is that with RO water (which I use) the pH changes as it's exposed to the atmosphere since there is no alkalinity and so no buffering power. And carbonation of course adds acidity to the finished water. This could be a difficult project, but I hope not!
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. That indeed worked, thanks! (and it was a hit at a festival) I put zero volume for the mash water, full volume as 'sparge water' and let it tell me the recommended acid addition for my target in the Sparge Water Acidification section. I also put my salts in the Kettle/Boil section. (skipping the Mash and Malt Bill sections entirely) This won't show an overall pH, but it does the job. Just be sure to double-check your source water pH to dial-in the acid. (don't rely on a water report for this as it can fluctuate sometimes significantly.)

Also, the recommended pH targets I've seen of 3.2–3.6 is before adding the hops, and of course before carbonating, so I don't think those are considerations. (similar to a mash pH target, not a final packaged pH)

Quick workaround I would do is add a random fermentable with a tiny amount like 0.001 grams.

Back