Want to try spunding...

American Pales I’m guessing mid to upper 60s so I’ll set at around 10-12 psi. Of course as I do this I’ll learn and figure stuff out.
Some ale yeasts don't do well under pressure. SO4 didn't seem to do well, I couldn't get very good attenuation. So most of my pale ales and IPA's are fermented without pressure. Honestly, the only beers I ferment with pressure are lagers.

The extra pressure causes more dissolved co2 to be in solution, similar to those tall conicals at the bigger breweries. The yeast respond to the extra co2 by changing their "metabolic pathways", reducing growth along with lowering the amount of esters, high alcohols and off flavors produced by the yeast. I can't say I really understand it very well, but that doesn't mean I can't take advantage of it.

This condition is fairly well known among big breweries. As they grew in size and got taller fermenters, the hydrostatic pressure increased in the fermenters along with increased dissolved co2. This lowered the ester profile of the beers and the breweries had to modify their fermentations to compensate. Most just raised the temperature and lowered pitch rates. This is a bonus if you want really clean lagers, but it sucks for Belgian beers.

Last edited:
I’ll need to fill them first since I won’t know when the keg is filled below the gas tube
Sure you will. Filling a keg happens from the output side, so a gas connection (open, no connection hose) goes in the input side. When liquid spurts out the gas connection, the keg is full. The lid guarantees sufficient head space.

If that doesn't make sense, I can post a photo.

Sure you will. Filling a keg happens from the output side, so a gas connection (open, no connection hose) goes in the input side. When liquid spurts out the gas connection, the keg is full. The lid guarantees sufficient head space.

If that doesn't make sense, I can post a photo.
Well that I knew but won’t that ruin my regulator?

This is the keg to be filled: fill line on the right, exhaust on the left. The CO2 regulator is on the keg you are filling from. The pressure in the keg won't last long enough to pressure transfer all of it, you need to add some closer to the end of the process.
C6128E1D-ABE6-4069-A310-4F8A0DD5CA9D.jpeg

Having beer come out your gas post hasn't caused you issues? That's been my primary reason to avoid doing it.

This is the keg to be filled: fill line on the right, exhaust on the left. The CO2 regulator is on the keg you are filling from. The pressure in the keg won't last long enough to pressure transfer all of it, you need to add some closer to the end of the process.View attachment 15837
I’m good on all that. What about liquid too high and getting into my regulator once I put it on?

Well the pressure from the CO2 tank should prevent flow up the line, but also there are usually backflow check valves on the regulator setup.

Having beer come out your gas post hasn't caused you issues? That's been my primary reason to avoid doing it.
Happens to me quite a bit:rolleyes:.
No dramas here.

@Josh Hughes You seen that blond beer I'm drinking lately that's fermented with 34/70 18c @21psi took the spund off day three upped it to 21 I was drinking it a week after brewing it pretty much.
Honestly I don't think you could tell it was fermented that hot.

That's what i love about pressure fermentation quick clean turn around on all my beers.
It's up to you to figure out the inbetween.

Happens to me quite a bit:rolleyes:.
No dramas here.

@Josh Hughes You seen that blond beer I'm drinking lately that's fermented with 34/70 18c @21psi took the spund off day three upped it to 21 I was drinking it a week after brewing it pretty much.
Honestly I don't think you could tell it was fermented that hot.

That's what i love about pressure fermentation quick clean turn around on all my beers.
It's up to you to figure out the inbetween.
That’s a easy temp for me to keep without much effort. That’s awesome.

Ordered a spunding valve and floating dip tube. I’m considering getting a used 5 gallon keg to ferment in, its in a cart actually. Figured the keg is useful either way.

Josh, I actually have a uni and just built a couple of the Corney fermenters. I think all in with a Thermowell cap, glycol loop, Blowtie, Heater Kit, etc. I'm around $200 per vessel. The Thermowell Cap costs more than the keg. As long as you don't mind being limited to 5 gallon batches they work really really well well. One of the better upgrades I've done for sure.

I did trim both my dip tube and gas tube. The gas tube is important to trim so your krausen can use more of the headspace before blowing out the dip tube.

Attachments

• Corney Ferm.jpg
    Corney Ferm.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 69
Josh, I actually have a uni and just built a couple of the Corney fermenters. I think all in with a Thermowell cap, glycol loop, Blowtie, Heater Kit, etc. I'm around $200 per vessel. The Thermowell Cap costs more than the keg. As long as you don't mind being limited to 5 gallon batches they work really really well well. One of the better upgrades I've done for sure.

I did trim both my dip tube and gas tube. The gas tube is important to trim so your krausen can use more of the headspace before blowing out the dip tube.
upload_2021-5-19_9-19-7.png

They're super simple:

Fermenter Set Up for Heating
1) Used Corny Keg $49
2) Thermowell Corny Cap $65 @NorCal Brewing Solutions
3) Carboy Heater Setup w/Controller $66
4) Corney Keg Neoprene Sleeve $9 Ebay

Options:
20' Soft Copper Tube for Glycol Loop $20
BlowTie Spunding Valve $20 + Plus ball locks, duotight fittings, and tubing

They're super simple:

Fermenter Set Up for Heating
1) Used Corny Keg $49
2) Thermowell Corny Cap $65 @NorCal Brewing Solutions
3) Carboy Heater Setup w/Controller $66
4) Corney Keg Neoprene Sleeve $9 Ebay

Options:
20' Soft Copper Tube for Glycol Loop $20
BlowTie Spunding Valve $20 + Plus ball locks, duotight fittings, and tubing
Are you running the glycol on the outside of the kegs? It looks like the line is poking up from outside the keg.
Tidy looking setup

Are you running the glycol on the outside of the kegs? It looks like the line is poking up from outside the keg.
Tidy looking setup

Inside would be epic! Maybe if I dust off my TIG welder setup someday and weld a coil to through the lid but for now it’s just soft copper tubing tightly rolled against the outside and wrapped by neoprene. It looks exactly like an emersion chiller ( actually exactly how I built my 1st wort chiller back in the mid 90s by wrapping copper line around a fire extinguisher ). I’m not sure how efficient it would be on a hot day trying to cold crash yet but the neoprene insulates pretty well. I just recently built the corney fermenters but I have my HLT wrapped in neoprene and I can place my hand on it while it’s filled with boiling water.

Inside would be epic! Maybe if I dust off my TIG welder setup someday and weld a coil to through the lid but for now it’s just soft copper tubing tightly rolled against the outside and wrapped by neoprene. It looks exactly like an emersion chiller ( actually exactly how I built my 1st wort chiller back in the mid 90s by wrapping copper line around a fire extinguisher ). I’m not sure how efficient it would be on a hot day trying to cold crash yet but the neoprene insulates pretty well. I just recently built the corney fermenters but I have my HLT wrapped in neoprene and I can place my hand on it while it’s filled with boiling water.
Awesome stuff mate. You got a glycol unit?
I'm thinking of using my freezer to chill a.glycol mixture to cool my fermentation .
Keg land sell coils with bulkhead
https://www.kegland.com.au/temp-twi...rol-your-fermzilla-with-a-glycol-chiller.html
I think I'll start a thread on this...

Back