Want to try spunding...

He learned it from watching you!

Get some keg lube and probably the reconditioning parts if you do. Older (and some new) kegs can struggle to get a seal at low pressures. Or just give it a shot of CO2 once fermentation has started properly to get it to seal.

Get some keg lube and probably the reconditioning parts if you do. Older (and some new) kegs can struggle to get a seal at low pressures. Or just give it a shot of CO2 once fermentation has started properly to get it to seal.
Actually bought those recently as a back up.

Ordered a spunding valve and floating dip tube. I’m considering getting a used 5 gallon keg to ferment in, its in a cart actually. Figured the keg is useful either way.
This purchase is evidence of a serious problem, you are clearly addicted to.... ahem, what I mean is, yes brother Josh, I support you whole heartedly, I am behind you on this purchase :eek:

What spunding valve did you order? I'm curious what prebuilt ones are out there.

I built a spunding valve myself with stainless steel and brass for about $20USD roughly.
PXL_20210518_010452073[1].jpg

A nice way to maintain freshness in the final product is transfer into spunding keg before FG is reached and spund this last bit of fermentation.

A it saves money on co2
B it negates oxygen exposure

Last edited:
On the pressure fermentation side of things, do temps rise more? How much do I worry about that? Still working out in my head what my procedure will be I’m of course reading whatever I see. Its babysitting the last 3 days of school so I’ve got time to read.

Right now my plan, please criticize/educate me :)
Ferment in the 5 gallon keg. Attach a floating dip tube and sounding valve. Set valve to 15 psi and ferment. Once I’m 4-5 points away from FG turn valve to whatever I need for my temps and carbonation level. Once complete pressure transfer to my serving keg. I’ll have the usual 3-4 bottles left over. I’ll need to fill them first since I won’t know when the keg is filled below the gas tube. Then pop it in the fridge and serve when I want it. I assume based on what @HighVoltageMan! says I’ll still need some co2, got to be able to serve it anyway.

On the pressure fermentation side of things, do temps rise more? How much do I worry about that? Still working out in my head what my procedure will be I’m of course reading whatever I see. Its babysitting the last 3 days of school so I’ve got time to read.

Ferment in the 5 gallon keg. Attach a floating dip tube and sounding valve. Set valve to 15 psi and ferment. Once I’m 4-5 points away from FG turn valve to whatever I need for my temps and carbonation level. Once complete pressure transfer to my serving keg. I’ll have the usual 3-4 bottles left over. I’ll need to fill them first since I won’t know when the keg is filled below the gas tube. Then pop it in the fridge and serve when I want it. I assume based on what @HighVoltageMan! says I’ll still need some co2, got to be able to serve it anyway.
I have heard that you're able to ferment lagers under pressure without having to be at cold temps specifically because of the pressure. I also hear that pre-pressurizing ferm before fermentation kicks off is ideal too for that scenario.

You can always go the temporary cheap route and use 16g CO2 cartridges and just get the adapter for it to attach to a ball lock. I have one for when I take my 2.5gal keg to work bahaha

I have heard that you're able to ferment lagers under pressure without having to be at cold temps specifically because of the pressure. I also hear that pre-pressurizing ferm before fermentation kicks off is ideal too for that scenario.

You can always go the temporary cheap route and use 16g CO2 cartridges and just get the adapter for it to attach to a ball lock. I have one for when I take my 2.5gal keg to work bahaha
That’s what I use to serve with/carb anyway

Fermenting under pressure does not change any exothermic activity of the yeast, so the temperature rise during fermentation remains about the same. The pressure you set the spunding valve depends on temperature and style. If you ferment at 48-50F, then 3-5 pounds. That same beer at 62 maybe 10psi or more. 15psi is the highest pressure generally accepted by most people for the fermentation, although toward the end the pressure can be brought up to 25psi or more to carbonate. The carbonation pressure is also dependent on temperature, at 50F the pressure would be @ 15psi, at 68F closer to 25psi. Once the carbonation is done (2-4 days), then pop it in the refrigerator.

Keep in mind the pressure will reduce ester production. So for ester forward beers such as Belgian, English and Weizen beers, the pressure would be kept ambient until the carbonation portion of the procedure is performed.

Fermenting under pressure does not change any exothermic activity of the yeast, so the temperature rise during fermentation remains about the same. The pressure you set the spunding valve depends on temperature and style. If you ferment at 48-50F, then 3-5 pounds. That same beer at 62 maybe 10psi or more. 15psi is the highest pressure generally accepted by most people for the fermentation, although toward the end the pressure can be brought up to 25psi or more to carbonate. The carbonation pressure is also dependent on temperature, at 50F the pressure would be @ 15psi, at 68F closer to 25psi. Once the carbonation is done (2-4 days), then pop it in the refrigerator.

Keep in mind the pressure will reduce ester production. So for ester forward beers such as Belgian, English and Weizen beers, the pressure would be kept ambient until the carbonation portion of the procedure is performed.
That is a big help thanks. For my English beers I’ll do that, I like the esters in those and will just spund to carbonate those. For lagers I’m usually mid 50s so pressure will be good for those then. American Pales I’m guessing mid to upper 60s so I’ll set at around 10-12 psi. Of course as I do this I’ll learn and figure stuff out.

Back