Voss Kveik at 25-27 oC (77-81 F)

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience at those temperatures for something like a blond or wheat beer?
I'm out of beer.
I normally ferment Voss at higher temps, fermenter covered in duvets in cooler box to minimise fluctuations.
Right now we'll be at 35 high / 19 low (95/66 F), so roughly 27 oC overall (80 F)
What can I expect in tang and orange?
My fermentation fridge will be tied up with Q2 brew and "sort of De Koninck" after that.
I'm not looking for quick fermentation, more like less control fermentation
@Craigerrr :I know you use Voss quite often, whats your experience with below 30 oC fermentation
And everyone else of course

Anyone got any experience at those temperatures for something like a blond or wheat beer?
I'm out of beer.
I normally ferment Voss at higher temps, fermenter covered in duvets in cooler box to minimise fluctuations.
Right now we'll be at 35 high / 19 low (95/66 F), so roughly 27 oC overall (80 F)
What can I expect in tang and orange?
My fermentation fridge will be tied up with Q2 brew and "sort of De Koninck" after that.
I'm not looking for quick fermentation, more like less control fermentation
@Craigerrr :I know you use Voss quite often, whats your experience with below 30 oC fermentation
And everyone else of course
In the past I used it at about 29/30C, although I got a bit of a tangy orange flavor from it, I liked it.
Fermentation was very quick at this temperature as well.
My most recent batches at 40C, and under pressure were much cleaner fermentations.

I think I'm just going to give it a go.
Although I like voss at real high temps.
I hardly ever taste orange except on my last undercarbonated batch which was also at lower than usual temp.
Now to decide on beer type/style...

Voss kveik has been so good to me in summer time :D

I had a Kveik beer or the first time last week. Not sure I care for the tangy/orange notes but am interested in the style. I have loads of corny kegs that will hardly be used this summer so pressure fermentation may be possible. How long will it take to ferment? Presumably a shortened dip tube and a spunding valve would be the way to go?

It ferments like crazy at the temperatures I normally use 35-40 oC.
And I just sprinkle a little yeast. Can't be bothered to weigh.
I think 1 pack does around 80 litres (for me)
No experience (yet) with spunding it.
@Craigerrr will know.
And trialben I'm sure

I had a Kveik beer or the first time last week. Not sure I care for the tangy/orange notes but am interested in the style. I have loads of corny kegs that will hardly be used this summer so pressure fermentation may be possible. How long will it take to ferment? Presumably a shortened dip tube and a spunding valve would be the way to go?
Last VOSS batch I did was at 40C and at about 12PSI, very clean result. I ferment in an allrounder, have never fermented in a corny keg. I would think you would need to do a smaller batch to allow some headspace, and you would probably be better off using a floating dip tube.

Back