Vanilla cream ale for drinking this summer!

Foster82 said:
Conservidave said:
I have been throwing around the idea of using 6 row in this recipe due to the large percentage of
adjuncts.

I just brewed this up on Friday and had a 74% Efficiency (OG 1.050 with 5.75 gallons collected). Adjuncts are high, but the the 2 row seemed to do the job. Also my fast fermentation test shows that I should hit a FG of 1.010.

Awesome, and an FFT too! Nice going! :D

So I just bottled this up last night, and I am very suspicious if the vanilla was a good idea. Last week when I took a sample the flavor was very neutral, now with the vanilla there is a distinct citrus note, and smelled a little sour when I first started racking it into the bottling bucket. The vanilla is also coming through rather strongly. I hope that after some conditioning time everything mellows out. Once again only time will tell.

and on with the custom lables!

Attachments

• 2013-02-23_10-34-36_770.jpg
    2013-02-23_10-34-36_770.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 725
+1 for QR code on label, and +1 for good sense of humor! :D

Dang - typo AVB should be ABV? Hope you haven't labeled them all yet...

Good catch and yes I just finished. It’s all good though, my ability to make random typo's and spelling errors is well know, and expected.

Actually I think it might have been one to many homebrews the night before. :D I may need to have a talk with the brewmaster.

Keep us posted on the final product. I plan on doing this brew sometime this spring. I think Larry has this
recipe in the works too.

Will do, and I was guilted into redoing labels.

Well first impression of this brew is a citrus flavor, and then the vanilla comes through but is not over powering. Mouth feel is very creamy and smooth, and overall is very drinkable. Other than the vanilla I can't see any "yellow fuzzy stuff" drinkers objecting to it. I am not sure if the citrus is coming from the yeast or vanilla, but It did ferment at around 70F so as Larry suggested earlier, the low 60s maybe more appropriate. For changes I might add some light aroma hops, and give a lager style a try. I would also bump the carb up from 2.5 to 3.0.

Overall on a hot summer day, it will hit the spot and the citrus might be a nice compliment. Problem is, being so creamy and easy drinking you might forget that its not a light beer and lose your panties along the way. :D

I will post another update after some proper cold conditioning.

So I am in the process of putting together a Belgian Wit/Sasion Wheat with lots of orange and pulled out the coriander to see just what it is all about. I never realized how much orange aroma is in coriander, and then I thought hey why not add it to this brew for an Orange Creamsicle profile. It sounds a little corny, but really who does not like an Orange Creamsicle bar :p .

I've brewed with coriander, its a neat ingredient! I'd say 0.5 - 1.0 ounces crushed, added with 10 minutes left in the boil would be perfect for a 5 gallon batch. I'd start on the low end if you want more of a bright note, with 1oz giving a more prominent taste, any more than that and I'd say it would be pungent.

cant wait to do this brew as soon as i can get my BIAB bag. I think i'll stick with the origional
recipe though, i appreciate the flavors of a more traditional brew with just a little twist.

Make sure you look up "Cream of Three Crops" this is what my recipe is based on. Also I would suggest a protein rest for the adjuncts with a pound of the base malt. I seem to be getting a lot of haze and a protein rest might help out.

I am not overly impressed with this one, but I do have family coming for Easter and I will let them be the judge.

Foster82 said:
Also I would suggest a protein rest for the adjuncts with a pound of the base malt.

Sounds like these are mashed seperately :?: please explain............

The way I plan on tackling it is by splitting the mash. For example if I have 10 pounds of grain and 10 quarts of water, and I want to do a protein rest on 3 pounds of the grain bill I would use 3 quarts of water. So taking the 3 pounds of grain and 3 quarts of water, heat that to between 113-130 ( I plan on going for 120) and hold for 20-30 mins. During this time I would prepare my remaining strike water, and at the end of protein rest bring the mash up to your mash in temp, then mash in your reaming grain and add the mash from the protein rest. In the end you should have with everything mashed together at your desired mash temp, the proceed as normal.

All numbers are for simplicity proposes, the math would have to done for each recipe/setup. Also with the particular recipe I do plan on reworking the mash schedule to reflect all of this.

I have never actually done a protein rest before so if I am way of course, someone else please chime in.

Conservidave, if you check the recipe now, I have worked out the protein rest for my setup. You will still have to work out the water requirements for your setup.

Foster82 said:
I have never actually done a protein rest before so if I am way of course, someone else please chime in.

Nor have i, but i was thinking if i brewed this in a BIAB set up i could apply the protein rest for the whole
mash for simplicity.( i may be off course too) As for the recipe, Im fairly certain there's going to be a ton of brew-goo flocking out of this so the protein rest is a great idea. Thanks for the updates!

PS, you still like the US-05 for this brew?

Back