Try with Rye

I love Nottingham, US 05 has its moments, ive had great beer from it and several bad batches strait from the dry packet, now I rehydrate in water and do a smell check on all yeast, I know what it shouldn't smell like

Reactions: GPA
the nose knows !
i make my starters in multiple jars , had them side by side and i smelled fine and other :eek: well ....didn't , doesn't take much since starter wort is a great environment for things to grow in

Looking around this site the other week scrolling through the yeast specks and I was suprised at us05 broad fermentation range yep she is a lovely yeast to use. I'm calling her old faithful :)
I put a blowoff in it last night because the activity was so strong, just got home from work.. yup good thing I did!!

I love Nottingham, US 05 has its moments, ive had great beer from it and several bad batches strait from the dry packet, now I rehydrate in water and do a smell check on all yeast, I know what it shouldn't smell like
I guess time will tune my nose ,right now all smells the same until i get a stink batch to compare it to I guess

Almost like it was bred to be a reliable and consistent yeast strain ?
It doesn't get that much use at my my place , do have some chilling in the fridge but the Coopers yeast gets much more use and for my tastes the mild pear esters and cloudy pour are just perfect for many of my brews .

my house Rye normally uses Nottingham mostly due to it's very high floccing rates and 85% attenuation ....might try using the US-05 this time and just cold crash for a few days before bottling
I'll have try the coopers I like th sound of the flavor!!

Unless Coopers are exporting the commercial beers the only way would be for me to mail you a vial and hope customs don't kick down my door !
Its undoubtedly English in origin , MJ Burton Union was often used in its place

I think we are a bit spoilt for choice with yeast these days. I listen to old school Brewers on podcasts talking of using just bakers yeast poor buggers. Yep I'm glad I live in these times where all our hard working hard hitting brewing predecessors have paved the way to where we are today. Three cheers to them I say!:p

I think we are a bit spoilt for choice with yeast these days. I listen to old school Brewers on podcasts talking of using just bakers yeast poor buggers. Yep I'm glad I live in these times where all our hard working hard hitting brewing predecessors have paved the way to where we are today. Three cheers to them I say!:p
Amen to that Brother!!

Unless Coopers are exporting the commercial beers the only way would be for me to mail you a vial and hope customs don't kick down my door !
Its undoubtedly English in origin , MJ Burton Union was often used in its place

We can get Coopers kits with Coopers yeast and Just packs of Coopers dry yeast here in the US. 2 different sized packs actually.
Same stuff isn't it?

Attachments

• coopers.jpg
    coopers.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 147
the commercial strain is nothing like M10 , the kit yeast has similar properties up high but goes to sleep below 16 C
workhorse is pretty ester neutral as well

the commercial strain is nothing like M10 , the kit yeast has similar properties up high but goes to sleep below 16 C
workhorse is pretty ester neutral as well
Yea I was meaning the yeast under the lid of coopers kits I thought they were M10 work horse yeast?

doubt it , that link i posted shows many are a blend of ale and lager yeast to allow flexibility for novice brewers
the kit ale yeast is coopers own proprietary strain , no idea what the lager portion is .
Some of the newer Thomas Cooper kits came with what was widely believed to be BRY-97 and behaved exactly the same ie : failed to start , stalled or worked perfectly on a random basis

Done and bottled looks and smells good fg stopped at 1.011 ... sample tastes interesting lol going to let this one condition for a couple of weeks let the flavors blend and see what I got .

good idea, some flavors need time, when you can taste and identify a certain grain then let it age, you shouldn't be able too, at the most just a hint

Back