Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV 4.82 %
IBU 39.4
SRM 9.3 (thinking of molasses for color and some flavor but have seen mixed reviews on this)

FERMENTABLES:
Marris otter
Amount: 5 lb
Use: Mash addition (52.6%) - 3.0 SRM
Origin: UK
Supplier:
Type: Grain
Color: 3.0 SRM
Recommend Mash: Yes
Not Fermentable: No
Max in Batch: 100.0%
Yield: 82.5%
Coarse Fine Diff: 1.5%
Moisture: 2.8%
Diastatic Power: 0.0 Lintner
Protein: 0.0%
Munich Malt - 20L
Amount: 1 lb 8.0 oz
Use: Mash addition (15.8%) - 20.0 SRM
Origin: US
Supplier:
Color: 20.0 SRM
Max in Batch: 80.0%
Yield: 75.0%
Coarse Fine Diff: 2.8%
Moisture: 5.0%
Diastatic Power: 25.0 Lintner
Protein: 13.5%
Rye, Flaked
Amount: 1 lb 8.0 oz
Use: Mash addition (15.8%) - 2.0 SRM
Supplier:
Color: 2.0 SRM
Max in Batch: 10.0%
Yield: 78.3%
Moisture: 4.0%
Protein: 0.0%
Biscuit Malt
Amount: 1 lb
Use: Mash addition (10.5%) - 23.0 SRM
Origin: Belgian
Supplier:
Color: 23.0 SRM
Max in Batch: 10.0%
Yield: 79.0%
Diastatic Power: 6.0 Lintner
Protein: 10.5%
Cara-Pils/Dextrine
Amount: 8.0 oz
Use: Mash addition (5.3%) - 2.0 SRM
Supplier:
Color: 2.0 SRM
Recommend Mash: No
Max in Batch: 20.0%
Yield: 72.0%
Protein: 13.2%

Mash scedule approximatly 90 min seems ok 152-154 f then up to 168 rest

HOP
  • 0.50 oz - Summit - Boil 30 min (27.0 IBUs)
  • 0.50 oz - Centennial - Boil 15 min (8.8 IBUs)
  • 1.00 tsp - Irish Moss - Boil 10 min
  • 0.50 oz - Centennial - Boil 5 min (3.5 IBUs)
  • 0.50 oz- Caraway seeds - Boil 5 min(not sure on amount or best time to add)
  • Total 60 min boil
  • 1 pkg - Safale American (DCL/Fermentis US-05)
Been down with the flu rockin the whole house
Sorry for the format

Found this online and tweaked it a bit

Thanks Greg
Hope all are well

should be fine, I absolutely love rye bread
Thanks Me too born and raised in NY , good fresh bakery Rye was. Sunday staple any thoughts on the caraway seems like .5 to 1oz just before flame out was the common addition. Maybe toast and crack?

Thought Mosher would have something in Radical Brewing, but nothing on actual amounts to use.

His Mastering Homebrew book does mention using a few grams in a sort of dubbel recipe. I assume that's for a 5 gallon batch

Reactions: GPA
Thought Mosher would have something in Radical Brewing, but nothing on actual amounts to use.

His Mastering Homebrew book does mention using a few grams in a sort of dubbel recipe. I assume that's for a 5 gallon batch
. We will see I went really lightly with it only a few grams like you found also . Just went flame out having a beer waiting for it to cool .. allot more crap floating around smells good though :)

Sounds like a good drop
Apart from biscuit malt and carraway its not much different than my house beer
Im a little concerned with the marris otter and the biscuit making it to bready . On a positive note I hit my OG pretty close 1.048 time will tell

MO is a fantastic malt to work with , can leave a slightly nutty flavour on it's own but dare say the Rye alone will add enough spice to overcome that even without extra adjuncts.
P.S. full disclosure i really love Rye , next brew has 25% and cranking IBUs to 50 with loads of late hops for a real hop punch in the face

*language warning * here's about the theme song for my house brew
An Aussie hip hop artist covering a punk rock local classic (skip first minute , boring show radio chatter )

Yep let me know when she's all cooked up and transformed into its Finnished form and I'll be front row straight away GPA. Looks like one interesting tasty drop definitely bringing the craft to this beer mate!;).

MO is a fantastic malt to work with , can leave a slightly nutty flavour on it's own but dare say the Rye alone will add enough spice to overcome that even without extra adjuncts.
P.S. full disclosure i really love Rye , next brew has 25% and cranking IBUs to 50 with loads of late hops for a real hop punch in the face

*language warning * here's about the theme song for my house brew
An Aussie hip hop artist covering a punk rock local classic (skip first minute , boring show radio chatter )
Haha that was great ..you make hop punch in the face , maybe ill come up with Malt kick to the groin :p

Best was when the wifey asked from the other room WTF is it you are listening too ROFL !!

Yep let me know when she's all cooked up and transformed into its Finnished form and I'll be front row straight away GPA. Looks like one interesting tasty drop definitely bringing the craft to this beer mate!;).
Thanks Man !! I am very excited to see how it turns out I hope it's a good one .. i may do a couple of SMASH brews next to get a better grasp on flavors. And definitely found some areas of improvement in my mashing process very stressful controlling temp gonna dig a cooler up next time.

To bad we can't come up with a ship and share program lol

The right mix in a smash is bloody wonderful !
Early samples of the GP / Cascade are shaping up as a very quaffable session beer
That's what I'm going to try get some quick easy fridge fillers that are good to drink. Then explore some more!

only having 1 brew fridge is limiting my output ....the weather is warming up here in Radelade finally so once ambients in my 180 yr old stone house get to 23-25 i'm thinking it might be time for a funky saison !
not a beer for everyone but last summer when temps were over 40 in the shade they really did go down well

You guys aren't kidding that US-05 is a beast
Looking around this site the other week scrolling through the yeast specks and I was suprised at us05 broad fermentation range yep she is a lovely yeast to use. I'm calling her old faithful :)

Almost like it was bred to be a reliable and consistent yeast strain ?
It doesn't get that much use at my my place , do have some chilling in the fridge but the Coopers yeast gets much more use and for my tastes the mild pear esters and cloudy pour are just perfect for many of my brews .

my house Rye normally uses Nottingham mostly due to it's very high floccing rates and 85% attenuation ....might try using the US-05 this time and just cold crash for a few days before bottling

Back