Trub vs no trub

No rinsing or washing, just swirl it up in fermenter to loosen then pour about half the yeast cake into a sanitized mason jar.

Perfect, nice and simple!

The main reason I like to go with as little trub as possible is for yeast harvesting. I like clean healthy slurry for the next batch. I'm currently on my 12th generation of wy2124, still going strong.
Nothing wrong with that line of thought. I tend to just pitch on the whole mess from one batch to the next for a time or two. If I'm not going back into the same fermenter or if it's just a massive overpitch, I take off enough trub to make a starter for another batch. Only time it doesn't work is with dry-hopping. I tend to run my IPA after my dry-hopped Pale and there's a little contribution from the leftover hop material. Not enough to change the flavor profile too much.

Lov this Post really interesting about Full Trub ferment ....please update us on taste test....would a Fast Fement create more fruit favours ?. Me thinks some trub is a good idea for the yeast .

Can't comment on the flavors, but so far I am convinced the trub definitely creates a faster startup and more vigorous fermentation. I haven't taken an samples yet, but will maybe tonight to see how they are doing.
I ramped temperature up to 70 yesterday to help finish up.

I use the 60L or whatever rubbermaid totes for my main grain storage, plus whatever I can scrounge from garage sales for specialty grains. I'm planning a brew Wednesday evening with some friends if you want to drop by and check out my ghetto rig.

Perhaps I will! Just noticed your location. Perhaps PM me your address?
Thanks!

Back