Trialbens Glycol Build.

Second cote on now to work on the top.
20211124_195300.jpg

That thing looks sharp. Don't tell anyone else that the rotated text was a boo-boo. Tell 'em you meant it to be that way if they ask. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen sideways text. Whether it was me or the text that was sideways, I'm not sure I can divulge that information.

Getting some wiring done today. I gotta get this 240v one wired in and coupled to the freezer or that Amber ain't getting temp control.
20220109_110701.jpg

240 top 12v glycol controller will be bottom
Under that is a 240v outlet
20220109_110725.jpg

12v power supply bottom and some + neutral earth banks (don't know what their called).

Oh and not to bombard the other thread
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum...nd-community-recipie.15249/page-5#post-153234
Yeah not sure why that switch Shat itself I think it's got something to do with this.

I plug a 15 meter extention lead into that outlet so I can brew down the other end of patio.

Now I've herd something like this that the extension lead can = some resistance and or Voltage drop on the load so maybe that's causing the trouble. Maybe I gotta have the outlet closer to where I brew and plug directly into the outlet.
Brains trust what think ye?

15Amp outlet

That is nice!

Ya for a long extension, you to use a high gauge wire. I have a 35ft extension for my brewery, 30amps. Its 240vac and 6 gauge. Not cheap, but required

The long cord can be a problem, absolutely. 15m is a long cord to be running anything much more than about 5 or 10 amps. Normally, though the cord will fail, not the switch in the kettle. The switch may not have had a high enough rating, or just simply didn't hold up. Hard to get good stuff these days.

comments @Trialben

Nice neat wiring work there Ben, happy to see that. It's called a ground bus or neutral bus. But that rats nest, that's gotta be improved: neatness counts. Get some wire ties and do it over.

The outlet died because either the pins of the cord Or the metal of the socket was not making a good electrical connection. It started arcing (sparking) and the heat generated caused the failure. Those little bits of metal worn away, surrounded by blackening? That's the telltale sign.

Lastly, a much smaller fan will do, that one seems overkill. :eek:

comments @Trialben

Nice neat wiring work there Ben, happy to see that. It's called a ground bus or neutral bus. But that rats nest, that's gotta be improved: neatness counts. Get some wire ties and do it over.

The outlet died because either the pins of the cord Or the metal of the socket was not making a good electrical connection. It started arcing (sparking) and the heat generated caused the failure. Those little bits of metal worn away, surrounded by blackening? That's the telltale sign.

Lastly, a much smaller fan will do, that one seems overkill. :eek:

Yeah I wanted to get it sorted so I could ferment that beer.
I'll go back and neaten things up once fermentation is sorted

the fan
It was cheap has 3 speed controller you know I can't buy a little 12v one for as cheep as that. 20 bucks from the big green warehouse as opposed to 26 for a computer fan.
That one also has mounting lugs on it so I can stick it on the lid and point it down into the freezer I'm thinking.

Now I've herd something like this that the extension lead can = some resistance and or Voltage drop on the load so maybe that's causing the trouble. Maybe I gotta have the outlet closer to where I brew and plug directly into the outlet.
Brains trust what think ye?

15Amp outlet
0 to 15m you can use 10 awg wire for up to 30 amps. 15 amps you can use 14 awg. (awg to mm2 chart https://www.multicable.com/resources/reference-data/cross-reference-awg-to-mm2/) Of course there's no harm in using larger diameter wire, it'll reduce voltage drop.

0 to 15m you can use 10 awg wire for up to 30 amps. 15 amps you can use 14 awg. (awg to mm2 chart https://www.multicable.com/resources/reference-data/cross-reference-awg-to-mm2/) Of course there's no harm in using larger diameter wire, it'll reduce voltage drop.
Yeah the extension cord is a 15 amp one. A electricitan wired that switch in as per my instructions. It's just been dicky from the start I personally don't like it's switching contacts but .

Back to the drawing board

Thanks for the heads up

Yeah I wanted to get it sorted so I could ferment that beer.
I'll go back and neaten things up once fermentation is sorted

the fan
It was cheap has 3 speed controller you know I can't buy a little 12v one for as cheep as that. 20 bucks from the big green warehouse as opposed to 26 for a computer fan.
That one also has mounting lugs on it so I can stick it on the lid and point it down into the freezer I'm thinking.
Just give some thought on the amount of heat produced by the fan. Might end up being counterproductive if it’s too much wind and heat, you might end up with a mini cyclone in there.

Just give some thought on the amount of heat produced by the fan. Might end up being counterproductive if it’s too much wind and heat, you might end up with a mini cyclone in there.
True that well it's on low so should be good it's just to move the air around.
It'll be more handy once I'm using it to chill the glycol I'm hoping either that or I'll get a wave maker to move the glycol around.

OMG Massive Brain FART Moment.
I NEAR Shat myself with my near stupidty but as is my style it seems to be with this build I just mighta had beginners luck maybe maybe not with this Mistake I've made this evening trying to drill some holes in what looks to me like 4mm Stainless steel :eek:
20220110_185702.jpg

That's my thermowell there man not a flys fart between that and the gas post.

DI$KHEAD MOMENT FOR SURE I thought until I reversed the bulkhead and fitted it in reverse :confused: to make it fit. I think this'll be OK right all its gotta do is hold pressure...

Man not margin for error here check out the realestate on this pressure plate.
20220110_185719.jpg

This is where I'm thinking of putting the coil bulkheads now.
Their a bit bigger diameter than the probe bulkhead.
I'm worried now lol
I mean now I bet the thermowell will be super close to the glycol coil.

You know if all goes to Sh#t I got two options
A order a new pressure lid and start from scratch (maybe best option)

B soldier on pray it works out.

C install a thermowell into side of kegmenter
(Least preferred option because I'd probably do fine just taping it to the side

Oh and one more thing just dropped the coil in man I don't think this is gunna work man can't believe i didn't check this earlier
20220110_191423.jpg

Oh that hole I rekon took a good 30mins to drill wish me luck Boys and Girls!:)

Last edited:

Back