Trialbens Glycol Build.

Frames out of 70x35 the base I'll do 70x35
Then I'll RIP the 70 in half to make 35x35 for the top frame and the paneling light but strong.
I was gunna use 3mm ply but got 9mm marine ply so once its braced with that itll be pretty sturdy.
Oh the bench top is 1200x600x18mm mixed spotted gum hardwood so it shouldnt dent to much when I drop stuff on it.
The bench top wont stretch the hole way across so on the cabinet side I'll glue two 9mm olys together to sort the top there.
I'll border the bench top with 45's cut from the same material to stop things rolling off the edge and also helps when cleaning down water wont run over the sides accept for out the front.
I did the same thing on my keezer which has worked great and looks good too.
Almost got my plans drawn up might start cutting this weekend.
Oh itll all get coated with two coats of boat cote epoxy.

Ben, I have to comment that it bends my mind just a little to think in millimeters, but all in all it makes perfect sense (metric is a second language for me) and you are doing exactly what I would probably be doing, if I were not here in inch-land...

All this makes me think "Damn, I need to get to Australia some day". ( You'll owe me a beer by then)...

Ben, I have to comment that it bends my mind just a little to think in millimeters, but all in all it makes perfect sense (metric is a second language for me) and you are doing exactly what I would probably be doing, if I were not here in inch-land...

All this makes me think "Damn, I need to get to Australia some day". ( You'll owe me a beer by then)...
I'm the same but honestly metric is so much easier to add in your head then imperial, I wish we would just switch

And with Aus being in the top countries for taxing alcohol, you'll want us to shout you.

Its weird we are a bit of both here in aus for instance when we talk people heights it's in feet oh hes 5 foot 9...
Even babies are sometimes measured in pounds instead of kilograms.

Some things just sound better in inches and pounds I suppose;);).

But when it comes to building as my dad would say dress makers work in Centermeters crapenters work in MIllimeters and well fitter and turners work in thousandths of a millimeter.

If you are switching AC most of them just use triacs, so you would just use more to switch on a more phases.
The DC switch use mosfets.

For higher current, heat becomes an issue so I doubt you would use them. A remote contactor would work better. Plus you wouldn't be turning it on and off quickly. Mostly you would use em for fast switching.

For my use, i need to switch solenoid liquid valves at 50mS speeds. Mechanical relays don't work very well
I see that while they are along the lines of the same thing, they arent really interchangeable

Got the frame built today.
20211016_153019.jpg

The collar here shows where the freezer will fit
20211016_154057.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah mate pointing out a few things that I need to improve on :D.
Just the general baby Q and A;)
In all seriousness, things like this will train her mind to think properly. By that I mean when she gets older she won't be afraid of trying things, no fear of failure. OK maybe she won't be a plumber or electrician (both noble trades) but she will understand these things. Involve her in everything Ben, it is good for her.

Power supply turned up along with my 12v STC
What do you ladys and gents think is this able to switch the 240v I think I need to get the screwdriver out and check the relays inside looks like I might not need that 12v 240v SSR?
Resized_20211018_153033.jpeg

Power supply turned up along with my 12v STC
What do you ladys and gents think is this able to switch the 240v I think I need to get the screwdriver out and check the relays inside looks like I might not need that 12v 240v SSR?View attachment 17856
I have switched 120vac with those, but might be worth checking out before you just do it.
Personally I never make the builtin relays do more switch another relay. If shit goes sideways, you can easily replace an outboard relay.

It depends on what the contacts inside that relay are rated for. If they will handle 240 V and however many amps your heater and or cooler take, you'll be golden. The 12 V reading is simply for actuating the switch, not the switch itself, which is just a switch. But it probably will work.

It depends on what the contacts inside that relay are rated for. If they will handle 240 V and however many amps your heater and or cooler take, you'll be golden. The 12 V reading is simply for actuating the switch, not the switch itself, which is just a switch. But it probably will work.
This is what I thought.
I've switched 240v 15amp with the STC,s burnt the relay out though :rolleyes:...

This is what I thought.
I've switched 240v 15amp with the STC,s burnt the relay out though :rolleyes:...
Usually voltage is less crucial. If it will work for 120vac, it will work for 240vac, even if its not rated for it.

Current though, those are rated for 10A. 15A wouldn't last long lol, too much heat. This is why I mentioned I use external relays. Easy to fix.

Progress inching along (see what I did there)
20211024_152604.jpg

Starting to cut out my pannel edge timbers .
Oh disclaimer we have a measurement error the freezer will sit 55mm below that other top level exactly the width of the freezer lid lol.
Pelican head here measured the freezer wrong I took the bottom of the freezer to top of lid and did the maths thinking it was without the lid. Ah well I'll roll with it.
20211024_180442.jpg

Collar stuck on and coated with epoxy.

Progress inching along (see what I did there) View attachment 17933
Starting to cut out my pannel edge timbers .
Oh disclaimer we have a measurement error the freezer will sit 55mm below that other top level exactly the width of the freezer lid lol.
Pelican head here measured the freezer wrong I took the bottom of the freezer to top of lid and did the maths thinking it was without the lid. Ah well I'll roll with it.
View attachment 17934
Collar stuck on and coated with epoxy.
Calling foul! You have no inches there! :p

Back