Trialbens Glycol Build.

Well they look a bit more hi tech then what I'm using but yes a lid with a glycol coil in it and two corney posts for pushing beer:).
you look at that site? so many toys!

That is a cool website. But some of the items are just a tiny bit outside my price range :D
upload_2022-2-14_19-45-52.png

lol ya. they have some centrifuges that are $30-70k too. I have no idea what they do.

I was mostly looking at the tri-clamp stuff they have

I've been thinking I'll leave the stc temp probe outside the glycol resivour.
I've been running it down the last few days and I think I'll pop the probe outside to reduce the temp swings when the glycol is being used.
Well not a temp swing but it takes a fair bit for the freezer to budge that 40lt 1c.
I'm thinking whilst fermenting ect ect the glycol will be surfice to keep the temp in check and the probe on the outside will act as a bit of a temperature cushion so the compressor can have a break catching up on the set point in increments rather than just one really long run time.

I think this will be easier on the freezer this way.

Think most active fermentations ate 5 days at most.
It'll be the cold crash that will be tricky.
I think as @Minbari warned I might do it in 5c steps to avoid freezing around the coil.

I do it on a ramp (STC won't do that) but you will know if it freeze. The ice insulates the coil and it just won't go colder. Its really weird, you turn off the Pump, and it will almost instantly drop 3 degrees

Got some insulation on my glycol lines also took the fan out from inside the freezer and got it blowing in toward the compressor.
20220219_134028.jpg

Gunna use that 12v computer fan inside the chamber permanently on to keep the air circulating I think it helps keep the temperature even.

Got some insulation on my glycol lines also took the fan out from inside the freezer and got it blowing in toward the compressor.
View attachment 19450

looking good.
Gunna use that 12v computer fan inside the chamber permanently on to keep the air circulating I think it helps keep the temperature even.
I am sure it does, especially if it is near(or on) the bottom where the cold settles.

20220220_091151.jpg

Wired In a few more things last night.
An Auxiliary STC (bottom one) with switching 240v 10amp point for HLT if I feel like sparging in the future.

Also wired in another power socket for heat belt. I thought these are slim line and include a switch in them win win just no fancy illumination light.

Dumb arse moment last night though I got my blower in that electrical compartment to give it a good blow out and I musta blew a little copper wiring bit onto my 12v power supply and yup ZAP killed it!

All good I took my spare out of my kettle panel but had me a little scared but it did throw the fuse in the meter box.

Ok so no chill temp was 29c when I woke.
I had breakfast then put the glycol stc to chill to 19 I rekon it took 20mins if that to drop 10c sooo much quicker than In the freezer!

looking good.
I am sure it does, especially if it is near(or on) the bottom where the cold settles.
I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in down there gonna have to have a few beers n think about that one.

You know little ice rafts have formed in the glycol it's at -4c

I don't think I'll be able to squeeze it in down there gonna have to have a few beers n think about that one.

You know little ice rafts have formed in the glycol it's at -4c

What is the mixture? mine is about 30% and it is perfectly liquid at -7C, coldest I have ever had it.

What is the mixture? mine is about 30% and it is perfectly liquid at -7C, coldest I have ever had it.
Um I put 5 lt into a 40 lt mixture is that 8% anyhow I'm happy with this just ice rafts once it's being used it'll melt those.

Running the three stcs now freezer fermentation and Aux to heat some water to clean my flask.
Stuck a Leftover thermowell in Mt little Sparge pot.
20220220_095111.jpg

I would seriously think about a higher concentration. last thing you want is water freezing in your coil while circulating. 20% would do.

upload_2022-2-19_18-32-23.png

Instead of a heat belt I use an ordinary heating pad, the kind when your back hurts. It has 3 temp settings, and on the lowest it keeps the fermenter about 5 F above ambient. I adjust its position to control temperature.

Instead of a heat belt I use an ordinary heating pad, the kind when your back hurts. It has 3 temp settings, and on the lowest it keeps the fermenter about 5 F above ambient. I adjust its position to control temperature.
Yeah I've been using these 60w belts for years havnt missed a beat even keeps my kviek fermentations nice n toasty plus I've got a couple hanging around the brewery here if one fails.
@Minbari yeah I'll probably order another 5lt next time from kegland it ain't cheep so I'll run with it for now

Yeah I've been using these 60w belts for years havnt missed a beat even keeps my kviek fermentations nice n toasty plus I've got a couple hanging around the brewery here if one fails.
@Minbari yeah I'll probably order another 5lt next time from kegland it ain't cheep so I'll run with it for now
I hear ya! about $40 a gallon here

Grabbed some foil board and some duct tape and some plastic clip things. Gunna have a crack at a removable insulation jacket for the fermenter.
Will post some pics tomorrow of the foil board.

It'sa 25mm styrofoam ridged panelling with foil either side that forms a sota moisture barrier I'm hoping to curve this around the circumference and attach some of them buckle slips to it.

Last edited:

Back