Trialbens Glycol Build.

Hope " have a crack at it" isn't how it goes.

Maybe a couple rings of light plastic or cardboard around the fermenter and fill in between with spray foam

Grabbed some foil board and some duct tape and some plastic clip things. Gunna have a crack at a removable insulation jacket for the fermenter.
Will post some pics tomorrow of the foil board.

It'sa 25mm styrofoam ridged panelling with foil either side that forms a sota moisture barrier I'm hoping to curve this around the circumference and attach some of them buckle slips to it.

I don't think 25mm rigid foam will bend. Are you planning on slitting the back to enable a wrap-around while keeping the a moisture/air barrier intact?

I don't think 25mm rigid foam will bend. Are you planning on slitting the back to enable a wrap-around while keeping the a moisture/air barrier intact?
Yeah pretty much.
If you look on 4 priests youtube clip where he insulates his HLT I'm copying that with what we got here in aus

Last edited:
My head is swimming just from the pictures!....wow!
Yeah so was mine lol:D.

No it's all straightforward really nothing to complex going on I like to keep it Simple;).

That fan is now my controller fan for my SSR relay didn't need it in the chamber.

I tell ya what though it's icing up pretty bad might have to defrost it soon .

Here we go this is foilboard 25mm
20220812_113433.jpg

It's semi ridgid I might be able to strap it around the kegmenter and get it to form a semi circle shap will see gotta get the murgy out of it before this...
I'll clip it with these
20220812_113448.jpg

Sorta stick that strap stuff to the board.
Was gunna use that aluminium tape but couldn't get onto any so duct tape it'll be.

That aluminum stuff is expencive too.

That aluminum stuff is expencive too.
Ordered some should be here next week.
I plan on using duct tape but finishing it with the foil tape.

I'm expecting to get lots of wort spilled on it so want a nice surface to clean down in future.

There is gunna be some condensation so will need some drainage holes in bottom to let the moisture out I'm expecting.

Last edited:
Went out to check on fermenter it's at 9c bloody glycol pumps playing up now oh gee took it apart put back together when I switch it on it gives a tiny movement then flicks the stc relay back over to delay (its that compressor delay function).

Will put it on some other 12v power source and hope it's just the recieving current or ill be ordering a new one.

Looks like murgy needs transferring today too

Ordering more glycol and another pump atleast if I figure out what's up with the one I got ill have a back up.

Rigged up another pond pump in the meantime
20220813_093623.jpg

Last edited:
Defrosting the glycol chamber today.
Gunna put some better castors on her and sort the lid out better
20220816_085010.jpg

Gunna sort out some drainage just like in the keezer well drainage hole is frozen over lol.

Ordering more glycol and another pump atleast if I figure out what's up with the one I got ill have a back up.

Rigged up another pond pump in the meantime
View attachment 21804
looks like you have some ice. how cold is the glycol and what is the mixture? I have had mine down to 20°F(-7°C) and no ice at all.

looks like you have some ice. how cold is the glycol and what is the mixture? I have had mine down to 20°F(-7°C) and no ice at all.
Temp sensor gets to around -4.5c that's about as cold as it gets
Once fermentation is underway that'll rise up to -2 - -1c
The chamber is set at -14 with a 2c swing.
As you know more Glycol is on route so icing shouldn't be an issue in future as well as another glycol pump.

Tell ya what though for a cheep ebay pump this little fella was doing a tremendous job for me in a pickle
20220816_093803.jpg

Playing with foilboard atm it is messy stuff.
20220816_093930.jpg

oh ya, those little magnetic pumps are almost indestructible. I have a small one that i have put through hell with so many projects, still works....lol

Last edited:
Got the fermenter sorted
20220816_123903.jpg

Got some aluminium tape comming will line it more with that stuff.
20220816_123920.jpg

Heat belt is taped into the insulation will see how it goes with the tape on it.
Now to sort out the glychol chamber

Oh they are leftovers from a previous harvest I had in the freezer.
Your right best get them in some brine:).
Couple of garlic Cloves too sunfire?
And a quarter of an onion :) carrots if you want sweetness

Everything's better on wheels :)
20220817_163411.jpg

Plan was initially to run the whole glycol cabinet over to the keezer for transfer.
This will work much better at this height.

Fence pailings and castors from under the glycol cabinet. Swapped cabinet out for better castors yesterday.

You guys have these milk crates in US man they are so handy.
I found that foilboard is a great seat cushion too:D

Back